S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Typical Oil Pressure and Temp Readings

Old 06-09-2013, 07:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
https://www.s2ki.com/..._1#entry5386979

Here are the OEM oil pump output specs (last post)
58.4L ~ 61 quarts / minute, that's 1 quart a second @ 6000 rpm.
At 6000 rpm a 2 quart accusump would last about .. 2 seconds, IF it actually can supply a quart a second.
I can not find any specs on that on the Canton website - but didn't take a lot of time to search.
Will an accusump supply enough to keep the engine in VTEC - as we know VTEC uses a lot of oil, it is basically a controlled oil leak.
So how long will an accusump last at 9k rpm?
Keeping the engine in VTEC is not the main thing though, saving the main/rod bearings is and they use way less oil - I guess.
If the majority of oil is dumped into the VTEC system - path of least resistance - how much will make it to the bearings?
Or is it the point to drop out of VTEC to use all the Accusump oil for the bearings...?

And.. what happens after a 2 second oil pressure drop?
The engine will have an extra 2 quarts of oil.
How is it going to deal with that between 6-9k rpm?
Is there any chance the crankshaft will foam up the oil?

Just asking, not bashing Accusump.

Interesting...maybe Canton will reply to this. A couple of comments though, besides I don't think there are any worries about anything.

First, the Accusump doesn't just dump all it's oil at once. It will discharge only enough oil to bring the oil pressure back up to whatever oil pressure valve you have installed on it. I do know it discharges very quickly as it's under about 90psi or more.

As soon as it has discharged enough oil to bring oil pressure up to the desired pressure, it starts filling with oil again, and it is filled at whatever rate the oil pump is working at, so it fills very quickly.

Because it only discharges enough oil to keep the pressure up to the desired amount, I believe it's reserve could last many, many seconds...far longer usually that you would be low on oil pressure because of any particular turn on a track.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Because it only discharges enough oil to keep the pressure up to the desired amount, I believe it's reserve could last many, many seconds...far longer usually that you would be low on oil pressure because of any particular turn on a track.
If the oil pressure drops due to the pickup sucking air during a long sweeper at high RPM--even for just a second or two--the Accusump will dump it's oil very quickly but I'd still rather have one than not.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump to a dead thread for another setup info:

F22C
Motul 5w-40
Honda filter
Factory oil cooler/warmer sandwich
Mishimoto radiator
No hood vent
Canton oil pan

Track: Sebring
Ambient temp: ~90

Coolant temps: ~200*F
Oil pressure in VTEC- 70-75psi
OIl temp- ~270-280*F

Hoping a hood vent will decrease both coolant temp and oil temp. Overall, I expected worse. 80*F delta seemed pretty good to me. Considering my oil analysis results, I think the oil is still doing fine even at those temps. If I still hit 280*F after a hood vent, I will consider installing a cooler.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic

F22C
Motul 5w-40
Honda filter
Mishimoto radiator
No hood vent
Canton oil pan

OIl temp- ~270-280*F
Cory, I apologize if you answered this question before in another thread, but did you see any discernible drop in peak OIL temps by installing the Mishimoto radiator, assuming you had an oil temp gauge before and after you installed the Mishimoto radiator?
Old 06-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Hsun, you may want to look at this thread.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...t__p__23211397

Essentially, on the track, the OEM heat exchanger is being bypassed.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EGbeater
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic' timestamp='1403536081' post='23214315

F22C
Motul 5w-40
Honda filter
Mishimoto radiator
No hood vent
Canton oil pan

OIl temp- ~270-280*F
Cory, I apologize if you answered this question before in another thread, but did you see any discernible drop in peak OIL temps by installing the Mishimoto radiator, assuming you had an oil temp gauge before and after you installed the Mishimoto radiator?

Unfortunately did not have an oil temp gauge at that time. I did not have one until a couple weeks ago when I installed the Canton pan.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic
Originally Posted by EGbeater' timestamp='1403547772' post='23214607
[quote name='nissanfanatic' timestamp='1403536081' post='23214315']

F22C
Motul 5w-40
Honda filter
Mishimoto radiator
No hood vent
Canton oil pan

OIl temp- ~270-280*F

Unfortunately did not have an oil temp gauge at that time. I did not have one until a couple weeks ago when I installed the Canton pan.
[/quote]

Yeah, Canton pan!!

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Old 06-23-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by EGbeater
I want to say the oil temp only budged 2-3 deg C in switching from the stock to a Koyo on my car (swapped at the track to try to get the best back-to-back possible). So really nothing to write home about.

Cory, vent your hood!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Originally Posted by EGbeater' timestamp='1403547772' post='23214607
I want to say the oil temp only budged 2-3 deg C in switching from the stock to a Koyo on my car (swapped at the track to try to get the best back-to-back possible). So really nothing to write home about.
Thanks spdracerut. So, if 1 deg C = 1.8 deg F, 2–3 degrees C = 3.6–5.4 degrees... not really a significant improvement in oil temp, agreed.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reviving this thread !

guys, i went turbo recently, over the course of 1 week dailying it (i have a dd, but just felt like driving it a bit). i noticed on warm idle (before driving) my oil pressure gauge shows constant 9-10 psi, more often at 9 than 10.

im a bit worried, since i read that most of you have 20+ psi at warm idle (before driving).

can some one shed light on how i go about to find out whats wrong?,

ps. after driving around Hot idle is still at 9 psi.

Quick Reply: Typical Oil Pressure and Temp Readings