S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

TT point

Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HvRRZ,Oct 14 2008, 11:09 AM
Skip I did not know you had gotten rid of your stroker motor! What a shock...I was under the impression you were running strong with it. Did you do this mainly for points or did you run across issues?

What would you guys recommend would be an ideal level to start in Nasa events for someone who hasn't participated in them before? I know I'll be required to run some HP events which won't be an issue, but I'm not sure which TT class would be best for me. I guess I'm asking where you guys started and if you would have done things differently.
Sorry about not responding earlier. I forgot about this post. The motor and associated items(EMS, fuel delivery, etc.) alone were 32 pts. When I replaced the sc'er with the stroker, I never intended to compete in time trials. I just wanted a dependable stronger-than-stock setup. Even still, go from 398 rwhp to 250 rwhp(our dynos out here aren't calibrated the same as the left coast ones )was hard at first. The car could have competed in TTB(which I would have still had to get rid of some points) if we competed on some of the shorter, handling-emphasized tracks, however, those tracks have been scrapped for this and most likely next year.

I wouldn't focus on motor. I'd concentrate on weight, aero, suspension, and CG. Although a point-eater, tires can make a HUGE difference. Points taken on beefing up the hp output is almost worthless except maybe for those able to reflash their ecu's like Prospect S. The rules are geared toward all cars in general. Doing things to our motors doesn't yield the same possible gains as they do on other cars.

I'm guessing you are currently approaching this as I did- trying to use what you already have. It was never my intention to de-mod my car to make it possibly slower.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's the rewards winning NASA TT?
Old 10-15-2008, 05:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaku,Oct 15 2008, 03:06 AM
what's the rewards winning NASA TT?
Top prize for TTC is $1.2 Million. It goes down $100k for every place after that, but you can get a bonus $50k for setting pole or leading the most laps.

Oh wait, I meant nothing
Old 10-15-2008, 05:46 AM

wooden plaques!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,Oct 15 2008, 09:23 AM
Top prize for TTC is $1.2 Million. It goes down $100k for every place after that, but you can get a bonus $50k for setting pole or leading the most laps.

Oh wait, I meant nothing
Old 10-15-2008, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by bighead,Oct 15 2008, 09:46 AM
wooden plaques!
Only when they don't run out!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 AM

The one problem I have with the exhaust rule, is look at the suspension for example. When you deduct points for shocks it always says afterwords "must still take pts for springs"
In the exhaust rule, it DOESNT say "must still take pts for deleted cat"

Ohwell.

And as for the best mods on a TTC car? That was already proven to us at nationals. Its the driver.
You all realize that Prospect destroyed everyone else with staggard RA-1s, and no rear wing? His times were faster than all but 1 H1 car, and he would have taken 2nd place in TTB.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Oct 14 2008, 11:11 PM
Sorry about not responding earlier. I forgot about this post. The motor and associated items(EMS, fuel delivery, etc.) alone were 32 pts. When I replaced the sc'er with the stroker, I never intended to compete in time trials. I just wanted a dependable stronger-than-stock setup. Even still, go from 398 rwhp to 250 rwhp(our dynos out here aren't calibrated the same as the left coast ones )was hard at first. The car could have competed in TTB(which I would have still had to get rid of some points) if we competed on some of the shorter, handling-emphasized tracks, however, those tracks have been scrapped for this and most likely next year.

I wouldn't focus on motor. I'd concentrate on weight, aero, suspension, and CG. Although a point-eater, tires can make a HUGE difference. Points taken on beefing up the hp output is almost worthless except maybe for those able to reflash their ecu's like Prospect S. The rules are geared toward all cars in general. Doing things to our motors doesn't yield the same possible gains as they do on other cars.

I'm guessing you are currently approaching this as I did- trying to use what you already have. It was never my intention to de-mod my car to make it possibly slower.
Wow 32 pts off the bat! Man there go my plans for a stroker...at least for a little while. I want to compete in TTC at least for some time before moving up.

Thank you for the advice. I figured tires would give me the best results and plan to go big from the start. However not sure if I should stick with toyos or sacrifice a few more points and get hoosiers. The only power adder I have currently is my PWJDM intake, and I planned on an exhaust to free up some weight and whatever power I could. I think a hondata reflash would be a good thing to add also. Main focus will be on suspension/handling as you mentioned. The HKS coilovers should be a great set up, and allow me to save some points since they don't use remote reservoirs. A larger front sway bar, and possible a wing if I have enough points to spare should be more then enough to be competitive in TTC I think.

Note sure how much camber I can dial in with the stock suspension components, but hopefully enough to utilize the full ability of the tires.

I know gears are a free mod, but not sure if they are going to be worth it or help any. I know they are highly dependent on the track, and some times may be a bad match up(of course the same goes for the OEM gears).

hmmm I think what I'm looking at so far is this: (please correct me if I'm off on the points)

Honda S2000 (2.2L)('04-'08) TTD** Weight-2855
+14
PWJDM Intake +1
Hondata Reflash +5
Cusco FSB/CR Rear SB +2
HKS Coilovers +7
255 x4 Toyo R888 +7 (Am I right here? or does increasing the tire width add points?)
Header-Back Exhaust System +3

Puts me in TTC with +39

Dam I really wanted to add a wing too.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HvRRZ,Oct 15 2008, 07:17 AM
hmmm I think what I'm looking at so far is this: (please correct me if I'm off on the points)

Honda S2000 (2.2L)('04-'08) TTD** Weight-2855
+14
PWJDM Intake +1
Hondata Reflash +5
Cusco FSB/CR Rear SB +2
HKS Coilovers +7
255 x4 Toyo R888 +7 (Am I right here? or does increasing the tire width add points?)
Header-Back Exhaust System +3

Puts me in TTC with +39

Dam I really wanted to add a wing too.
255 is the max tire width for TTC. Anything larger and you start adding points.

You could ditch the reflash and add a wing. You'll probably benefit more from the wing, but thats all up to driver opinion. Most would probably agree that a bigger front sway bar would be advantageous too. Once again, thats a matter for you to decide as the driver.

Lastly, if you decide you need to free up any more points... I'd go back to stock exhaust and intake. My car is 40lbs under the class weight min. The stock exhaust is about 40lbs heavier than my T1R... bottom rear of the car seems like as good a place as any to add back the 40lbs and save myself 2pts while doing it.

This just the way I see it. Everyone has their different philosophies...
Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 AM

+1 for 255s... its assessed per the cars base class

and a reflash might be better than a wing... look what Rene did at nationals.

Quick Reply: TT point