S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

TRIED RA-1 IN THE REAR

Old 07-26-2005, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man you guys are harsh.

Definetly don't mix street and R compounds. RA1's are great track tires. They really work good when you get them shaved to at least 4/32 but even better at 3 and lower. They may not be as fast as the Hoosier or Kumho, but they will outlast them by a long shot.

Another tire you can check out is the either the Hankook Z211 (shave) or Z214 (molded) they come in Autocross compounds. One last shameless plug, if you want a stock tire that gives good grip the Z212 will be great, this can be shaved as well for better results.

Need help just ask.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KAY'S,Jul 26 2005, 05:15 AM
well you can tell who actualy knows what they are talking about and who has nothing to back up any of there statements with real use..... thanks for the help.. but no thanks for the thoughtless posts..
Actually all those who replied are extremely knowledgeable and experienced. Some race in SCCA and others track their cars 20 or more times a year. The problem is that your post can easily be confused for that of someone trolling for flames and probably was. A troll usually posts something ridiculous (like mixing R-coumpound and street tires) and then makes some definitive statement like "they suck".

Saying RA-1's suck was sure to prompt dumb responses to what is a clearly dumb question (sorry but it's true). In future I'd ask a question instead of stating "I did such and such and product X sucks". RA-1's don't suck but your approach to posting here might.

The regular inhabitants of this forum range from people who have never auto-x'd or tracked a car right up to SOLO2 and ProSolo national champions and SCCA racers. The likelihood of you coming in here and telling people what's what is very small.

This is a huge source of honest, real and no BS information from people who have been tracking and autocrossing S2000s since they day they hit the street. You can learn a lot from these people but you aren't going to do it by posting what you posted above. I took a chance and answered the question because it was easy but had you posted something which wasn't as simple to answer in under two minutes I probably wouldn't have bothered. I might have just flamed you for being a dope.

In future you'll get a lot more valuable information by asking the question straight out rather than making a ridiculous conclusion based on a totally ed up experiment. You may as well have said the moon was made of cheese.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Jul 26 2005, 12:40 PM
You may as well have said the moon was made of cheese.
Wensleydale.

http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/filmsGDOsum.asp
Old 07-26-2005, 11:58 AM

Right sorry your having a bad day man... But first i never said the ra-1's sucked.... thisis my 3rd set... i had them on my sti.. wrx and gti. SO when i went to order them for the s2k the rars came in first so i just mounted them up.. IF you read the post it says i hated them unshaved... i had never drivin on them unshaved before. I did not think that just rears would cuase that much push.. i thought the s02's had more grip then they did.
I do more track racing then auto cross.... which is why i went with the ra-1's i understand they make better autocross tires.

Lastly agian thanks for the helpful post... And if i didn't think i would get the answer i would not have posted... there is ZERO reason to get that angry over nothing. i did not start flaming poeple or attacking there post.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KAY'S,Jul 26 2005, 07:58 PM
Right sorry your having a bad day man... But first i never said the ra-1's sucked.... thisis my 3rd set... i had them on my sti.. wrx and gti. SO when i went to order them for the s2k the rars came in first so i just mounted them up.. IF you read the post it says i hated them unshaved... i had never drivin on them unshaved before. I did not think that just rears would cuase that much push.. i thought the s02's had more grip then they did.
I do more track racing then auto cross.... which is why i went with the ra-1's i understand they make better autocross tires.

Lastly agian thanks for the helpful post... And if i didn't think i would get the answer i would not have posted... there is ZERO reason to get that angry over nothing. i did not start flaming poeple or attacking there post.
Thanks
So you understand or figured out through experimentation that putting R compounds on the back with street tires on the front was a bad idea, great. But, why is your post titled:
TRIED RA-1 IN THE REAR, HATED IT

You know it isn't the tire's fault, it is your config. why would ou bother posting about that. That is like me posting, "Tried cobalt race brakes - hated them." And then in post said how I tried race pads on the front and took my rear brakes off to save weight or something and was not happing with all the spinning I did. You know what caused the problem, it wasn't the tires, why bother posting this? I dont' understand the point of the thread?!?! It sounds like you knew right away what the problem was and everyone has agreed with your assesment...so what's the point?
Old 07-26-2005, 12:17 PM

i just was shocked it made that big of a difference i guess... i just wanted to know others peoples input.. which is why i posted it here. thats it. I did not mean for peropel to get so angy over it sorry.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one got angry, except perhaps you.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah no one was angry. I sorta thought this was a joke. I still hope it is.

You claim to have run RA1s before, so you should be familiar of the additional level of grip an R compound tire offers over street tire. I have trouble understanding how you couldn't be aware how much better they grip if you had run them before.

So you take a soft gummy race tire and put it on one end of the car. Then on the other end of the car you put some rock hard stone (in comparison) of a tire. You post here supprised of the results? Even scream you HATE IT.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm forced to say, again,
Old 07-26-2005, 01:49 PM

i def am not angry.. also as stated above i thought the s02's were softer then they are... i had the car for 1 week before i raced it.. .

Quick Reply: TRIED RA-1 IN THE REAR