S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tracking a KW SC kit in hot weather

Old 02-22-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking a KW SC kit in hot weather

Wanted to get input from others that are tracking the AP2 KW SC in high temps. I live in Texas and have been working on oil cooling enhancements. Did the larger PWR radiator, Upgraded the Laminova oil cooler to the 330 and still am getting heat soak and oil temps of 250F (measured at the oil pan drain plug) after 3 or 4 laps on a 1.7 mile track (H2R). On an 80F day, after 2 - 4 laps the top end in 4th gear seems weaker than an NA car.

I am trying to understand:
1) What further cooling mod's I will need to get my oil and intake temps down enough to prevent performance drop off. It seems like having a large water-to-oil cooler in the engine bay just increases the under hood temp. Will a larger Air to Oil cooler in front of the radiator be enough oil cooling ? Is the stock intercooler enough to control IAT's ?
2) If I go back to NA will I still have to address heat soak with CAI and Oil cooler.

Hoping to benefit from others that have solved this issue and stop dumping money into upgrades that don't seem to be the final answer.

Thanks !
Old 02-22-2011, 05:33 PM

Hey Austin I feel your pain. I had the same issues with my S2k when I ran the Comptech Supercharger. It was fast, but I always noticed it was fastest on the first lap, or after a restart. I logged intake temps and water temps in the cooler and found it heat soaked almost immediately.

You're going to need a bigger cooler, preferably not in front of the radiator. A cooler with a fan would do wonders. The air to air coolers work wonders as well, but then water temps can be an issue, but that is solvable I think. I would start thinking about using the brake ducks in the bumper as a cooler inlet with a fan behind it. Derale makes a nice all in one unit.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Good call on the PWR radiator.

You are using an external water-to-oil cooler for the engine oil?

An air-to-oil cooler placed in front of the radiator will be the most effective at dropping oil temps, at the sacrifice of water temps.

An air-to-oil cooler placed behind the radiator will never be cooler than the water temps, but go with a bigger cooler. 250*F isn't that bad though.

Make sure the ducting to the radiator is air tight.

***What are your IATs?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you running the high or low boost kit?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 AM

Running the low boost kit.

The oil cooler gets coolant from the engine runs it through the oil cooler and back into the engine.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinCR,Feb 23 2011, 09:48 AM
Running the low boost kit.

The oil cooler gets coolant from the engine runs it through the oil cooler and back into the engine.
At best a water-oil heat exchanger (intercooler) will never be equal or cooler than the coolant temp. Depending on the size and config of the cooler, I don't think you will get all that much better results with a larger water-oil cooler. Go air-water either in front of rad or larger behind rad. If you stay on track, how high will the oil temps get?

Power = heat.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post all your temps please, atleast the ones you were able to log.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you tracking it with the SC, you should look into coolers for the tranny and diff too as they very likely get out of their temp ranges as well.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Billj747,Feb 23 2011, 12:27 PM
At best a water-oil heat exchanger (intercooler) will never be equal or cooler than the coolant temp. Depending on the size and config of the cooler, I don't think you will get all that much better results with a larger water-oil cooler. Go air-water either in front of rad or larger behind rad. If you stay on track, how high will the oil temps get?

Power = heat.
I don't believe I've ever seen a fmic mounted behind the radiator. There's probably a good reason why not.

There's no reason why the fluid in the air/water cooler can't run cooler than the engine coolant temps.

Do you have any idea how much timing you're losing as your IATs increase?

I'm not sure you'd have to deal with heat soak if you went back to NA.

Too bad you're having this much trouble at 80 degree ambient. That's really not all that hot.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo8765,Feb 25 2011, 09:09 AM
I don't believe I've ever seen a fmic mounted behind the radiator. There's probably a good reason why not.

There's no reason why the fluid in the air/water cooler can't run cooler than the engine coolant temps.

Do you have any idea how much timing you're losing as your IATs increase?

I'm not sure you'd have to deal with heat soak if you went back to NA.

Too bad you're having this much trouble at 80 degree ambient. That's really not all that hot.
I think reading failed you.

Billy was talking about oil cooler and temps, not charge air cooler. He was saying to ditch the OE coolant cooled oil cooler and go with an air to oil cooler mounted either behind or in front of the rad.

Quick Reply: Tracking a KW SC kit in hot weather