S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tracking/Autocrossing with Soft Top

Old 09-15-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking/Autocrossing with Soft Top

Contemplating on getting a hardtop, like the look a bit more...

I've never been a big convertible fan but after S2K I'm starting to like it.

Just curious, who's running the soft top instead of the hard top assembly for track events. Any disadvantages compared to the hard top, you don't see many soft top race cars after all.

Any thoughs, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Take Care,
Ed
Old 09-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hardtop benefits include better visibility and better aerodynamics. Downsides include more weight unless you remove the soft top and motors.

For autox I can't imagine it does anything but slow you down since you can't remove the soft top for stock class. For track, it's going to make more of a difference on higher speed tracks.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Ludedude,Sep 15 2005, 11:24 AM] Hardtop benefits include better visibility and better aerodynamics.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Sep 15 2005, 02:29 PM
Bottom line for me is that I'm doing this this for fun, and I have the most fun with the top down.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:39 PM

I found a signigicant change in high speed braking stability with and without the top (speaking hardtop since my soft top in the race car has been removed). It was very unsettling without the hardtop, braking and turning into the high speed T1 at Putnam Park. YMMV.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Sep 15 2005, 11:24 AM
For autox I can't imagine it does anything but slow you down since you can't remove the soft top for stock class.
Yup -- extra weight high on the car, and removing the soft top isn't legal in Stock class.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Sep 15 2005, 06:17 PM
Yup -- extra weight high on the car, and removing the soft top isn't legal in Stock class.
Good Call..

Yeah, I've been contemplating it for a while, due to various reasons, but have decided to just keep it and enjoy it. The car is not going to be a full out track car, and is still daily driven. Also, I'd rather invest the money into some Volks, Tires, Pads, Fluid and Lines instead of a hard top. (Same Price)

If anyone else has anything to add, I would appreciate it.

Take Care,
Ed
Old 09-16-2005, 05:10 AM

Nobody has mentioned the safety aspects of a hard vs. soft top, perhaps because there are only minimal advantages of the hardtop. When combined with a rollbar or cage, the hardtop does offer the benefit of a rigid shell that protects the occupants and resists intrusion of debris better than the soft top.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:29 AM

HT is more weight. HT is more aero. I run it on tracks. In April-May. During high AC time of mid July thru Mid August and Late Fall. With garage hoist you can put it on and take it off in about 10 minutes. Always use it when S has to be parked outside at Hotel overnight due to security risks.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Sep 16 2005, 06:10 AM
Nobody has mentioned the safety aspects of a hard vs. soft top, perhaps because there are only minimal advantages of the hardtop. When combined with a rollbar or sage, the hardtop does offer the benefit of a rigid shell that protects the occupants and resists intrusion of debris better than the soft top.
Yes, without some structure the safety benefits are minimal. Hardtop would be better than open in soft sand or mud, or if some sharp object were flung into the air from the car in front of you. But it's not a replacement for a cage or even for a fixed roof.

Quick Reply: Tracking/Autocrossing with Soft Top