S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Trackday - Hot oil ?

Old 12-27-2008, 09:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mysling' date='Dec 26 2008, 01:36 PM
Actullay im danish, but i guess your danish is not a hole lot better then your french ??

Thanks fore your replyes. That helps me a lot in not worrien about the oil temp. I change oil every 5.000 km (3000 miles) and only use the best of the best oil.

I know the car was designet to handle high stress, but on a trackday this could be extreme. Car being more or less en V-tech fore 20-30 min at the time, 5-6 times over a day.

The car is always in top shape, and nussed like a spoiled kid but whwn I track it, i run it 100% hardcore.

In my old car (MR2 turbo) the oil was 20-25 degress celcius (70 Fahrenhiet) hotter when i tracked it then whit even hard driving on the roads. This offcourse being inforcede by the turbocharger.
This resulting in a noticable lower oilpressure to.

But if you gues track your S whitout problems, i schuld be able to do the same.
i go to a track which is very hot and oil cooler is needed to run more than 2 laps at a go without oil temps going to 120-130 deg C.

best advice is if you know anyone tracking the S in your country without oil cooler, chk with them what oil temps they reach before deciding if you need an oil cooler.

just because someone has done it before and gotten away with it doesnt mean it wont result in bad news for you some time down the line especially if you are keeping it as a long termer.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No one tracks a S in my country. My best guess is that there are about 10 S2000 i Denmark. (5 mill people and extreme car taxes)

In summertime, it is about 70-80 fahrenheit.

Have a good idea about that the generel idea is that you dont need a oilcooler. Will consider to run a test whit a gauge, but it isent really easy to put in, whitout a lot off hardware
Old 12-27-2008, 10:58 AM

typically you would tap the oil pan down low near the oil drain and put the oil temp sensor there. worst case if you just want the peace of mind you can get the oil cooler with a thermostat. that'll help warm up the car faster too since it won't be circulating through the cooler 100% of the time. then if you're at the track and it's a hotter than normal day you don't have to worry about it. it's one of those mods you may not need but it can hurt anything to have one.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:01 PM

In regards to everyones reply's....

I track my car probably harder than most on here (no offense to anyone) But seeing how im in the warmer part of the country and do track events in the summer time where track temps are around 130-140 F. And I myself got curious as to what the temps where, so i asked my buddy who also tracks his car with no oil cooler but has a temp gauge and it was up in the 280-295 range, crazy right.

So i put one in my car and tried it out, throught the city and highway i see anywhere from 180-200 depending on traffic. Now on track i would see about 220-250. but maily it would stay around 230.

In my opinion I would run one cuz it wouldn't hurt.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen oil temps in the 280-290F range during track days with 90-100 degree ambient temperatures. My street car sees about 220-230 during normal highway driving.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:38 AM

Thanks, this helps a lot :-)
Old 12-29-2008, 04:46 PM

oil temp in excess of 280 definitely needs an oil cooler. newer BMW runs close to that.

oil temp under 250 is of no issue at all.

anything between 250 and 280 is arguable.

anytime you run an oil cooler, you are increasing a risk of more failure points. I would avoid running an oil cooler unless it is a must.

this is assuming synthetic oil.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:01 PM

There's too many factors in this... external heat, how well your radiator is working, vents, airflow, type of oil used, thermal wrap/heat shields etc etc.

Oil pressure is relative to temperature. Oils are naturally thicker when cold and thinner when hot. The visciousity of the oil will also affect this.
10w40 will be less resistant to heat than 10w50 etc.

It wouldn't hurt to get a good oil cooler - however ensure you have a thermostat installed to avoid over cooling the oil... running cold oil at high rpm will do damage.
The thermostat will ensure the temperature is regulated for best efficiency (usually). I don't know what the fahrenheit conversion is, but my old car with an oil cooler (with thermostat) use to run at around 75 degrees constant and was great! On track it would jump to max 90 degrees.
Although without, expect the temperatures to be not so consistant...

Like above, if your peak temperatures are going beyond a certain range, then look into it (but this will require gauges, which can't hurt on track?).
Old 12-30-2008, 02:01 AM

Jep, i guess you right...

I need to install some gauges. I was hoping that it didnt have to do this, couse i dont like the look off it.

But now that I am installing gauges, what do you recomment ?

Oil temp
Oil pressure
Other?

I schould be able to mount both af these sensores in at oilfilter sandwich, right ?
Do anyone know where i can buy this sandwich ?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by aozora' date='Dec 29 2008, 07:01 PM
I don't know what the fahrenheit conversion is, but my old car with an oil cooler (with thermostat) use to run at around 75 degrees constant and was great! On track it would jump to max 90 degrees.
90c is actually not hot at all. that's barely more than 200F. most car's radiator fan are not even on yet.

I am very cautious about adding sensors. Many are done for street, and not sturdy enough for track. I think for most people it creates more issues than it solves. most sensor mount are too weak, and break under vibration. it is best to mount oil pressure sensor on the firewall, away from vibration. and run an oil line to the sandwich. most steel braided line also cuts through other lines, again creating more failure points.

I would recommend running just a oil temp sensor off oil drain bolt (not sure if this is easy in s2k, but it is easy in a Miata). and if oil temp never ran too hot (under 250F in summer), I would take it off.

I would avoid oil pressure sensor. I personally don't find them useful in a stock engine car (but many swear by it). may be someone can explain it better as how it is useful.