S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Trackday - Hot oil ?

Old 12-25-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackday - Hot oil ?

Hi all

Sorry 4 the bad spelling you are about to witness, hope it works out

I use med S at trackdays, aswell at normal driving and cruising.
Just bought the S this summer and have only track
Old 12-25-2008, 02:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Most S2000 on the track are stock. So no, you don't need to do anything to the car before you take it to the track. It is great just as they sold it to yo. That assumes it is in good shape and repair.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I havent tracked the S but other cars I have. An oil cooler is not needed, but of course its nice to have! Your car is designed with the oil to run at optimum efficiency through the correct temp...so a cooler may hamper this...someone else may chime in better. But if your stock I say just check your oil often at the track, bring extra, and change out your fluids more often.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're drifting or gymkhana, stock s2000's are great on the track.
I wouldn't get an oil cooler unless I was turbo and was doing some crazy shit for long periods of time...
I'd do a lot more things before I got an oil cooler....

Your spelling is great for being Swiss... you should see my French.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Actullay im danish, but i guess your danish is not a hole lot better then your french ??

Thanks fore your replyes. That helps me a lot in not worrien about the oil temp. I change oil every 5.000 km (3000 miles) and only use the best of the best oil.

I know the car was designet to handle high stress, but on a trackday this could be extreme. Car being more or less en V-tech fore 20-30 min at the time, 5-6 times over a day.

The car is always in top shape, and nussed like a spoiled kid but whwn I track it, i run it 100% hardcore.

In my old car (MR2 turbo) the oil was 20-25 degress celcius (70 Fahrenhiet) hotter when i tracked it then whit even hard driving on the roads. This offcourse being inforcede by the turbocharger.
This resulting in a noticable lower oilpressure to.

But if you gues track your S whitout problems, i schuld be able to do the same.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:38 PM

For everybodys information i suggest you watch Best Motoring endurance battle. There is an S in there along with many other cars and after about 10laps on Tsukuba which is a pretty short track, the temp started going on the more dangerous side. The driver controled the temp by shifting 500rpm before the redline and the car kept the temperatures in the safe zone. Once again i say you watch it yourself and decide for yourself, i believe it will help people keep their cars safe to drive on the track without overheating the engine.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 AM

Is this what u mean ?

I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP77xaEX10A
II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo9_Lfd26uw
III: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SibBN...eature=related
IIII: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsJhS...eature=related

Does not seam to be conslusive as he said he lowered the revs, bur then later went flat out again, and nothing changed, as I understand it.

Also this is a AP2 that goes whit 8000 rpm. I gues the extra 1000 rpm, in my AP1 will force extra heat !!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil cooler is not needed on the S2000 except for cars with forced induction (mainly turbos). For most cars, it would be just another possible source of mechanical failure.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9kred' date='Dec 26 2008, 02:38 PM
For everybodys information i suggest you watch Best Motoring endurance battle.
I can't imagine a less reliable source of information than "Best Motoring". Even fortune cookies are more likely to be accurate.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jag pratar lite svenska
Cest meaux beaucoup mon francais.

I mostly autocross my car, which is short runs..... mostly less than a minute.

You should be fine with no boost.
Our engines are supposed to be able to run at Vtec all day
I suppose if you're worried, you should get an oil temp/ oil pressure gauge, but then you would have gauges coming out the ass .....
Oil pressure is more important, and synthetic oil wont change properties at different heat levels.
I'd run a digital oil pressure gauge and if you notice a drop after a hot track day, try an oil cooler.

Quick Reply: Trackday - Hot oil ?