S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Track safety - Fire

Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,May 26 2010, 04:01 PM
When I did track days, I was somewhat cavalier about safety; I didn't have any extra roll protection (I flunk the broomstick test by a wide margin), any fire protection (including no fire suit), or any neck protection.

When I started racing, I found religion immediately, and got a HANS, a fire system for the car, and (of course) the car has a full cage. And I'm required to be covered head-to-toe in Nomex gear.

Now, I can't imagine being on a track without all that.

But it's worth noting that that guy had all that, also, and he's suffered permanent, debilitating (if not fatal) injuries. This is a dangerous game.
Mark, it's also important to point out that when you were doing HPDEs in your S2000 there was no cage, no window net, no belts, etc. impeding your exit. Most times you had the top down and could have just climbed over the door if necessary. Plus, race cars simply are not as safe as street cars for fire. This is shown by relative rates per hour of operation that race cars catch fire versus street cars.

So you were, in a sense, balancing your risks. Now that you drive a race car your risks have changed. Some of them have increased, some of them have decreased. So your safety gear has changed too.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some pretty piss poor response time and actions by the emergency crew.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What I dont understand is how the car "came apart" so easy and how he isnt held in his seat any more.
He (body) is all over the place!!
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CozMotorsports,May 26 2010, 08:50 PM
Some pretty piss poor response time and actions by the emergency crew.
Just what I was thinking. They fought the whole friggin' fire with fire bottles? Where was a truck or hose? Although I'm no firefighter, Navy training had me sweeping the base of the flames to separate the fuel from the fire - these guys seem to be be pointing into the flames, which is less effective.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more I look at this the sicker I feel.

I would not assume that in an incident you will have a fire truck on the spot immediately. At most of the DEs I go to, we have EMT and wreckers but not fire trucks. If you are on fire and trapped in a car, by the time a Fire vehicle gets out of the paddock area and drives to your car I imagine you are pretty much toast.

Nomex suit will provide a couple seconds of protection (the idea being that this is the time needed to get out of the vehicle).

A fire suppression system might buy you a lot more time, it does looks like the Lambo's fire system broke free during the impact (not hard to believe seeing as how a good potion of the drivetrain broke free as well).
Old 05-27-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,May 27 2010, 12:27 PM
I would not assume that in an incident you will have a fire truck on the spot immediately. At most of the DEs I go to, we have EMT and wreckers but not fire trucks. If you are on fire and trapped in a car, by the time a Fire vehicle gets out of the paddock area and drives to your car I imagine you are pretty much toast.
Yup.

Most DEs I've been to don't even have that many firebottles distributed around the entire track.

And they did have a firetruck in the incident on the video. Got there pretty fast, too. Only a couple minutes after the wreck. But a couple minutes is enough.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:31 PM

I think the thing to keep in mind here is that he really balled up his car, apparently crushing his legs in the initial crash.

While it's easy to scratch your head at the Keystone Kops-like response of the fire folks, it's also true that he was in a bad way before the car came to a stop.

At neither DEs nor club racing is there any high-level fire system. The corner workers have fire bottles, and the cars have whatever they have (or don't have). I have a fire system in my car, and I wear Nomex underwear and a Nomex suit. But if I'm trapped in the car for more than a few seconds, I'm toast.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 124Spider,May 27 2010, 01:31 PM
At neither DEs nor club racing is there any high-level fire system. The corner workers have fire bottles
Except at Spring Mtn. Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, NV. They don't have corner workers. They have an automated light system for signaling drivers about cautions, etc. So nobody to go running out with a fire bottle.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Richard EVO,May 27 2010, 04:24 PM
Except at Spring Mtn. Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, NV. They don't have corner workers. They have an automated light system for signaling drivers about cautions, etc. So nobody to go running out with a fire bottle.
Who turns on and off the lights?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 PM

Mitch does from his laptop in the tower. It's actually a very cool system that Mitch took me through the operation of for a weekend I was in the tower helping out as a spotter.

However, there are emergency crews stationed that respond when needed that are pretty quick. Seen that happen as well.

Quick Reply: Track safety - Fire