S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Track Pads Glazing - advice appreciated

Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Pads Glazing - advice appreciated

I track about 5-6 times a year. Each event has 6-7 30 minute sessions. I'm not too hard on the brakes, and instead try to focus on gaining time via line and momentum.

I've been using Carbotech XP8s all-round since I started, and during my last 4 events, I've been encountering some serious glazing issues. The pad material has a shiny reflective surface when I take them off, and obviously my braking abilities at the track suffer especially when hauling down from 125mph repeatedly off the front straight.

In addition, my stock pads have started to glaze over time too, between track days.

I usually throw my track pads on at home, and then drive 3-5 hours to a nearby track, have my fun, drive back home, and then change back to stock pads. I don't change rotors.

1. Should I be using a different set of rotors? This last time I tried sanding the rotor lightly before throwing the pads on - we'll see if that helps. I'd like to just use the same set of rotors, as brake pad changes will go a lot quicker.

2. Should I be putting my brake pads on only at the track instead of driving with them for a few hours. I try to keep my braking to a minimum once I put them on, but there's always going to be some constant contact with the rotor.

Advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Not sure about the xp8s, but when I glaze its because the pad was too cold for the type of driving (not designed for the amount of heat). But in your case I would think it is because you might be taking the pad material off the disk from the other pads (pad transfer).
Old 04-28-2008, 12:08 PM

Hi,

Yes, Carbotech strongly recommend to get new or resurfaced rotor with the pads, as it might not be a compatible compound than your OEM or other pad like INTJ said.

From their website :

6. Do I have to resurface (turn) the rotors, or get new rotors when I buy new brake pads?

If you have had another manufacturers brake pads on those same rotors; then you will ABSOLUTELY have to replace or resurface (turn) those rotors before installing the Carbotech brake pads.

If the rotors and drums are in relatively good condition, meaning they are smooth, flat, with no visible cracks, deep scoring, distorted, and with no other visible damage; and you have ONLY had Carbotech brake pads on them, then they do not have to be resurfaced or replaced.