S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Track days and Wear on Rear Axles

Old 05-02-2013, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a rear wheel bearing get LOUD this weekend, at least thats what i think it is, so i am starting the job now. My plan was just to replace the rear wheel bearings now i am not so sure. Hub's, cv's on axles what else? I am sure it's time for new bushing kit. 131k miles. I am retired and a decent back yard mechanic but afraid i could be in over my head. Advice on a plan of attack? Car is used in TTc as dedicated track car not a daily driver.
Thanks in advance for help.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cvedral
I had a rear wheel bearing get LOUD this weekend, at least thats what i think it is, so i am starting the job now. My plan was just to replace the rear wheel bearings now i am not so sure. Hub's, cv's on axles what else? I am sure it's time for new bushing kit. 131k miles. I am retired and a decent back yard mechanic but afraid i could be in over my head. Advice on a plan of attack? Car is used in TTc as dedicated track car not a daily driver.
Thanks in advance for help.
I recommend you just replace the bearing if you can remove the old bearing race without damaging the old hub. My website has a bearing replacement how-to.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 AM

A fairly easy job pulling the axles. I took them to local garage to replace bearings and cv's now on to a bushing kit. I started a new thread on that.
Guess i needed a project this is kinda fun.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 99SH
Anyone reliably run the DSS 2.9 axles on the track? They did have issues several years ago, but redesigned the part to include Porsche 930 style inner CV.

I've heard of workmanship issues on DSS over the years, but then again you never hear the success stories.
I run them on my light little car - I needed a combo axle to go from the s2k internal to the miata outer. They are a PITA to work with and miss their timeframes all the time but their product has stood up to my abuse.

My only real beef is with their adapter plates - they are steel and heavy as hell. it adds a lot of rotational mass. I had a wheel spacer shop make me some aluminum ones because I'm not making much more than stock power and loading the parts a whole lot less due to my low weight.

If you're interested I have all the part #s of the parts (hell, I still have the steel spacers too) for the parts that DSS sells - minus the bar lengths I have. you could save a pretty penny buying the standard parts and just getting the axles from them

Originally Posted by cvedral
A fairly easy job pulling the axles. I took them to local garage to replace bearings and cv's now on to a bushing kit. I started a new thread on that. A
Guess i needed a project this is kinda fun.
a harbor freight 20 ton press on sale with a coupon will pay for itself the first time you drag parts down to the local machine shop to get them pressed. let alone the ability to use it overnight when you need the part and can't get to the shop.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you change axles don't use the Ebay OEM copy ones use the honda ones they are about twice as thick
I had a brand new OEM copy axle last about 15 autocross runs/launches on hoosiers