S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Which Track Day Organization?

Old 11-22-2005, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Track Day Organization?

I just started going to HPDE this year and I've been running with NASA. So far my experience with them has been satisfactory. I have noticed that most people who track their S2000's in california always run with Speedventures.

I would also like to run with Speedventures as well to get on the track with more S2000's and gain some knowledge with fellow S2kers but most of their events take place in Socal. I live in the bay area, so it is more convineint for me to run with NASA because they have a norcal section that run on norcal track such as infineon and thunderhill.

I am just wondering why everyone runs with Speedventures (for those people in norcal) instead of running with NASA? Speedventure events are farther and more costly then NASA events. I would love to get on track with more people to track s2000 so I could learn more but traveling down to Socal is far.

For those of you who run with Speedventures who live in norcal, please enlighten me as to why you chose to run with Speedventures instead of NASA.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NCRC/ARC (www.ncracing.org) is a great club if you want to run N. CA tracks. They'll be running 14 events in 2006, with two being at Laguna, one at Buttonwillow, one at Reno-Fernley and the rest at Thunderhill. They also have a Time Trial series, hold relay races and since they joined with the ARC, run a race series which I'll be competing in next year. The NCRC is a very well run, established club up here in Northern CA.

Speedventures is great for SoCal tracks like BW and Willow Springs. And unlike the NCRC, which, like this weekend, usually has only one S2000 running (me), Speedventures always has around 5 (or more) S2000s.

As for NASA v. SV....well I've never run a NASA event, but I hear that the sessions are usually pretty crowded--I'd rather pay a little more to get cleaner laps in than save some money and be frustrated.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:51 AM

Hey Nobody,

I will try to join you with at NCRC/ARC Buttonwillow, Reno-Fernley and Thunderhill. I think I will be taking the race course so I can participate in the races also.

Hopefully my car will modded for track use again.

Speedventures has many S2000 participating which makes it more of a community event. They also have many fast S2000 drivers to get feedback on parts and setups. I usually drive about 115miles / event and keep driving till the track closes. Speedventures also run timing so its more of a time trial event.

I've have also never run a NASA event but I belive they run many other sessions and events during the day.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

Surprised that SV is more costly? Haven't done much comparing recently, but historically they've been 1/2 to 1/3 the price of other track day groups, which catered more to the occasional fun-seeker than the serious track addict.

Anyway, if SV is more costly these days, it's because they've always limited car counts to keep traffic light and ensure at least 2.5-3 hours of run time per group. This policy, along with the ultra-accurate AMB timing system (a $40K investment on their part), is in line with their philosophy of acknowledging that the old track dogs are interested in getting lots of track time and lots of clear laps to try to set quick times.

Another reason SV is popular here is that it's run by two former S2000 owners, so they've been around this forum for a long time.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Point, John...I didn't check the prices of NASA (just assumed it was cheaper based on the first post), but yeah--SV is typically a lot less expensive than any other group.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:15 PM

Anyone out there had an opportunity to run with both NASA and Speedventures? How do the 2 organizations compare to each other?