S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Track day in my S

Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I must say, I was not the most skilled driver in the green group (novice), and I was passed by Evos, Mustangs, Corvettes etc, but usually I would gain a little ground in the corners. Motor Sport Ranch has a fun section after a strait away with a tightening turn that ends with a tight second gear S curve. I was able to take that faster than anything behind me. The S was just so satisfying to drive, the gearbox is just so slick and easy to shift, the ratios are almost perfect to give you power for any corner exit. I would just say that on an AP2 the ratios are just wide enough that if you are about 500rpm from redline it falls out of the Vtec range. Still, the car feels very optimized for going fast.

Several coworkers came to this event as well and we spent a lot of time talking about our cars. The one with a 2009 Mustang GT with upgraded suspension, wheels, brakes and an intake said that most of the time he was near red line in second or out of the powerband in third. He explained that the ratios were pretty wide, almost too wide despite the large amount of torque and HP. I do have to admit he was a very good driver and ended up passing me once per run.

This makes me think that If I dedicate this car more towards the track, I should upgrade the brakes first with some more aggressive pads and get a 4.44 final drive.

Pics:

Old 09-14-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMChristopher
... After this, I feel like I have a little ways to go before I have a good reason to mod my S. There is no point giving it more performance if I don't know how to handle it. Overall, it was a great experience. I need to do it again some time.

Any one else have a similar experience?
You are wise: many people spend big bucks modding a car when the weakest link is behind the wheel. And the best part of spending your money improving the driver is that it transfers to every car you own for the rest of your life.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had mine less than a month... going to a local auto cross event Saturday the 17th. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Glad you made a track day though. I've done many track days on bikes and raced with AFM. But for some reason the car thing makes me nervous... haha a cage making me nervous? Who'd of thunk it?
Old 09-19-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the S2000 for five months now, and have done about 8 autocross and a trackday. Missed the past two autocross since I'm in the process of swaping a cv axle. Plenty to go fast with on autocross and trackday. I only have pads, brake ducts, camber kit in the front, and 2.8/2.5 negative camber alignment.

There is a lot of swaying going on with stock suspension imo.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 2nd s2000 - 3 years of ownership total and just took my car to a 2day SCCA autox Novice class. Got to really see what the car can do in a place where I can push it until it spins.

Such a great way to appreciate the car. I DD it and don't get to drive on any windy roads much anymore so it was awesome to get that feeling back.

If anyone gets the opportunity to do a AutoX novice class or something like that, definitely do it.