S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Track day in my S

Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day in my S

I got my s last month and got familiar enough with it to take it to the track day at Motor Sport Ranch in Cresson Tx. It was great. I got about 3 hours of driving time on the track with an instructor sitting next to me. I learned a lot about the car and its abilities. According to the instructor I pushed it to about 75% of its limit. I was passed by several other cars in my run group so for a while I didn't feel too fast until I was able to pass a 2011 Mustang GT. I think the driver was trying to take it easy, but it felt great closing the gap in the corners and hanging on for the first part of a strait away. After this, I feel like I have a little ways to go before I have a good reason to mod my S. There is no point giving it more performance if I don't know how to handle it. Overall, it was a great experience. I need to do it again some time.

Any one else have a similar experience?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:31 AM

Awesome,

Have owned my S for around 3 weeks now, looking to go on a track day, but in South Africa there arent many tracks around

I have had the honour of finding a empty parking lots and doing a few donuts
Old 09-13-2011, 05:42 AM

Awesome,

Have owned my S for around 3 weeks now, looking to go on a track day, but in South Africa there arent many tracks around

I have had the honour of finding a empty parking lots and doing a few donuts
Old 09-13-2011, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you. Understanding the power under your hands is more important than expanding on it.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:58 AM

Havent tracked the S2k yet but all of my other cars. Its my favorite thing to do when I have the money
Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JMChristopher
I got my s last month and got familiar enough with it to take it to the track day at Motor Sport Ranch in Cresson Tx. It was great. I got about 3 hours of driving time on the track with an instructor sitting next to me. I learned a lot about the car and its abilities. According to the instructor I pushed it to about 75% of its limit. I was passed by several other cars in my run group so for a while I didn't feel too fast until I was able to pass a 2011 Mustang GT. I think the driver was trying to take it easy, but it felt great closing the gap in the corners and hanging on for the first part of a strait away. After this, I feel like I have a little ways to go before I have a good reason to mod my S. There is no point giving it more performance if I don't know how to handle it. Overall, it was a great experience. I need to do it again some time.

I look forward to seeing you out at MSR. I will be there Oct 16 for the 1.3. You should look do get a few more under your belt this fall, it is the best way to understand the car's limits.
You may also see a number of other DFW S2K's out there.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by pmptx
Originally Posted by JMChristopher' timestamp='1315879759' post='20967070

I look forward to seeing you out at MSR. I will be there Oct 16 for the 1.3. You should look do get a few more under your belt this fall, it is the best way to understand the car's limits.
You may also see a number of other DFW S2K's out there.

If I am not mistaken I think I met you at the NTAXS meet in January. I complimented you on how your car sounded. I was driving an "off" red '97 Prelude. I want to go, but I pretty much spent all my money on the car and the track event. I need to wait a while before I do something like that again.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember. Look forward to seeing you out at MSR. It is a great time, but expensively addictive
Old 09-14-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I took mine out for a track day for the first time this weekend too. Even though I got the shirt, I am certainly *not* the Stig. I did come away with a much greater respect for the car though. I had drive it in 2nd gear most of the time because 1st gear made car too twitchy with my untrained right foot. My next *mod* will certainly be driving courses though! I had a lot of fun and it felt great to drive the car in anger around some cones and not get arrested for it. Good luck in your future events and have fun!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Congrats JMChristopher! If only ever automotive enthusiast had that wise view. Always better to upgrade the driver before upgrading the car!

Track events with this car are a blast. I usually go to track events hosted by the Porsche Club of America and people are always impressed with my car, wondering how a stock S2000 is lapping that much faster than their 911s, Boxsters & Caymans. The car just handles so well that after some time you feel comfortable driving it to the limits

Quick Reply: Track day in my S