S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Toyo RA1

Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo RA1

Has anyone had any experience with these. I have not seen anything in the search forums about these. Looking to autocross and to track on these tires.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience with them but any track tires will warm too slowly for competitive autocross. If you're just out to have a good time and don't mind the lack of ultimate stickiness, they should be fine - certainly better than a street tire...
Old 02-27-2008, 04:48 AM
EJO

These are the Spec tires for most NASA classes and are really good track tires. Not the best but very good. The RA1's are going to be discontinued to make way for the new R888's. Like jguerdat said, these tires are for the track and will not heat up quickly enough to be good autox tires.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In really cold weather they might not even be as good as a typical street tire.

If you are going to be serious about autocrossing and tracking, you probably want to have separate tires for each activity. The mileage and heat cycles of track use will quickly ruin most competitive autoX tires, and autoX won't get most track tires hot enough.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a simple search just now:

[QUOTE]Searched for "toyo ra-1 track autox" Found 21 of 21 posts in 0.012 seconds

Autocross tire size question
... 245 on the rear, so I went with the Toyo RA-1s, they too are an R-compound and they came in the 205/55-16 ... Although this may not be the hottest setup for autox, it is a blast out on the track. You might want to consider the Toyos. Do a ...
In S2000 Racing and Competition
Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 AM

I agree with what everyone said. . .it is a track tire and takes a while to warm up for autocross. I've been using them since last July for autocrossing and, in the summer months, they were warmed up after 2 runs, but even before being fully warmed they were better than street tires. But in December, when it was under 40 degrees outside, I dont think they were any better (actually, maybe a little worse) than good street tires.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

It depends on where you live and what kind of courses you run. I ran a set of 255/40/17 RA1's on my RX-8 with some 17X9.5 wheels and they worked great. Ground temps reach 120F in the summer and we run 1-1.5 mile long courses on a huge site with back to back run format. They got hot enough to stick for me but YMMV.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 PM

They're excellent track tires (should shave them for dry-track use).

They're better for autocross than normal street tires, but not nearly as good as dedicated autocross tires like the Kumho V710.

They're wonderful summer street tires.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:46 PM

I guess my main delima is I need something that will be decent for both autocross and track. I have another set of wheels just need some tire. Purchased a hitch and trailer to pull the tire but just dont want to spend another 6-1k on tires and another set of wheels. I was wondering about the Azenis RT 615.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you will find a tire that is competitive at the higher levels of autocross that will also hold up to the abuse of a full sized track.

You can, however, run a less aggressive tire for both and compete at local autocrosses in the street tire class (if you have one). A tire like the Bridgestone RE-01R seems to be a top choice for street tire competitors and also makes a good track day tire. Doing something like this will be slower in autocross than running real autocross tires and slower on the track than real track tires (though faster than running a track tire at auto-x and cheaper/safer than running auto-x tires on the track), but that is the compromise you are looking at here. The Azenis you mentioned would probably also fall into this category, but I don't have first hand experience with them.

Quick Reply: Toyo RA1