S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tow Strap vs. Tow Hook?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Strap vs. Tow Hook?

Hi all,

I'm planning to go to Buttonwillow at the end of the month, and I would like to get a good set of tow hooks or tow straps.

I did a quick search and saw that people recommend TC Design tow hooks. Where would I be able to purchase these? I looked at TC Design's website and saw the list of dealers, but it looks like its all BMW sites.. I'm not sure if they have any Honda stuff.

I stopped by a local shop that specializes in auto-x and track stuff. They have universal tow straps. One good benefit is that they are cheaper. TC Design tow hooks are fairly pricey.

I don't expect to be bumped at the track, but you never know. It could happen. And I'm afraid of extra damage if someone happens to bump the tow hook.

Has anyone run tow straps? and if so, where have you mounted them?

Which option is better? Tow strap or tow hook? and why?

I don't mind spending the extra money if the tow hook really is that much better.

Thanks.

Mark
Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you'll be good enough with stock tow hook that comes with your car.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by helothere,Jan 9 2010, 04:33 PM
i think you'll be good enough with stock tow hook that comes with your car.
I was reading posts about how the stock tow hook has given during towing.

It's one of those things that I hope to never use, as everyone else I'm sure, but I want to make sure it will be a worthy piece if it does get used.

The stock tow hook looks small too, and since they recommend a 2" tow hook, I'm not sure if their equipment is too big for the stock eyelet.

At the same time, I'd also like one for the rear and one for the front.

I'm leaning towards the TC Design ones based on recommendations in previous threads on s2ki. I don't see a place to purchase it on their website, so I'm trying to find out where I can purchase these.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM

youre gonna run speedventures event later this month right?
you'll be fine enough with stock tow hook to tow your car out if youre stuck somehow.

however if your decision is to get one besides the stock one,
then I'd recommend getting the tow hook rather than the strap.
not only it will withstand the pulling force better,
(not that i question the strength of the strap) and it will look(?) better as well.

i can't help you with where to get the TC Design ones so sorry on that one.
gluck finding one though.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 PM

Yes to the speedventures question.

Ok, that's what I needed to hear. I might consider picking up a second stock one so i can have one front and rear. I don't expect it to be very expensive.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Former Sponsor

We have options for the s2000 starting at $50. Shoot me a pm and we can give you some options.

Greg
Old 01-10-2010, 01:07 PM

just got my s2k towed from the front from an excursion. bent the eye a bit
Old 01-10-2010, 02:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=alpha318,Jan 9 2010, 08:09 PM]I was reading posts about how the stock tow hook has given during towing.

It's one of those things that I hope to never use, as everyone else I'm sure, but I want to make sure it will be a worthy piece if it does get used.

The stock tow hook looks small too, and since they recommend a 2" tow hook, I'm not sure if their equipment is too big for the stock eyelet.

At the same time, I'd also like one for the rear and one for the front.

I'm leaning towards the TC Design ones based on recommendations in previous threads on s2ki.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A second OEM tow hook cost about $6 at my local Honda dealer. I put one in front and in back during track days. This past December at Thunderhill I spun in the rain between T7 and T8 and was stuck in the muddy infield up to my rocker panels. OEM front tow hook survived the pull-out just fine.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Greg W,Jan 10 2010, 06:30 PM
A second OEM tow hook cost about $6 at my local Honda dealer. I put one in front and in back during track days. This past December at Thunderhill I spun in the rain between T7 and T8 and was stuck in the muddy infield up to my rocker panels. OEM front tow hook survived the pull-out just fine.
Cool.. I think I'll go with a second OEM tow hook then..

Vitt, thanks for the link and the info. I thought I remember reading that someone had issues with the hook itself, but I could understand the part in the bumper giving when there is side load.

Quick Reply: Tow Strap vs. Tow Hook?