S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Thinking of getting into some road racing...

Old 02-13-2006, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting into some road racing...

How well do the stock brakes hold up?

I am mostly running just bolt ons and I have been to several auto-x's without any concern...

Now I want to make my way out to some track events and am worried about high speed braking.

I saw this setup... http://www.importimageracing.com/product_i...products_id=960

Any experience with them?
Old 02-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

"Image is Everything"

This link should answer most of your questions:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=98080
Old 02-13-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to go off topic, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

Driving around a track recreationally, usually with no timing and with passing restrictions, is referred to variously as "driver's ed", a "track day", a "lapping day", or some variation thereof.

Road racing is timed wheel-to-wheel competition without passing restrictions (with the exception of flag situations). While track days and road racing both involve lapping a road course in the company of others, they're actually very different degrees of magnitude.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pads lines rotors fluid make a huge difference. stock pads get cooked really easily. you dont need a BBK but they sure look cool
Old 02-13-2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Feb 13 2006, 04:25 PM
Sorry to go off topic, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

Driving around a track recreationally, usually with no timing and with passing restrictions, is referred to variously as "driver's ed", a "track day", a "lapping day", or some variation thereof.

Road racing is timed wheel-to-wheel competition without passing restrictions (with the exception of flag situations). While track days and road racing both involve lapping a road course in the company of others, they're actually very different degrees of magnitude.
, so he should correct the title of the thread.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless he meant "road racing" literally.

I figure you're looking into HPDEs, so get a set of Cobalt pads from the marketplace, flush your fluid w/some RBF600 or Motul and maybe throw on a set of stainless lines. If you get fade, duct your brakes before you go to the track again. Some of the fastest guys in S2000s are running stock S2000 brakes with nothing more than I just mentioned. I do not, but I put my Wilwoods on before I knew what I was doing. No regrets, though.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:00 PM

My white car has stock calipers, stock lines, and no ducting . Just Motul 600 and race pads.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In this order:

fluid
pads
cooling ducts
BBK
lines

Start at the top of the list and work down upgrading each as you run out of brakes. Change the fluid first and go out with a fresh set of stock pads and rotors. When you start blowing through pads at a rediculous rate get Cobalts. When those start to fade out add cooling ducts and so on down the line. When you get to BBK, turn pro.

Note rotors are not on the list and braided brake lines are at the very bottom. Rotors are a wear item like pads and tires. You change them when they wear out which has a lot to do with how aggressive a pad you use. Stock pads are easy on rotors, race pads are not. Cobalts will require you change rotors on every second set of pads.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

to find out what you really need, get some of these, and see how hot you get your brakes and then make adjustments from there.
Clean fiuld is a great idea, and street/track pads are a good start, but then find out how hard you are using your brakes, before you start making mods.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

Umm, no, gonna disagree with ya there. What good are rotor temps to a novice? Or even to a track-hound? "Let's see, 600 degrees. I guess that means I should...uh...hmm..."

There are only two real (i.e. safety) concerns with brakes: performance (fade) and wear. Both can be easily observed and fixed without knowing specific temps. Fade? Get better fluid and/or pads. Wear? Replace pads and/or rotors.

As my two-year-old's bedtime book says, "Why make big problems out of little problems?"

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting into some road racing...