S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Is there a better roll bar design for no soft top?

Old 08-18-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is there a better roll bar design for no soft top?

Starting to research my roll bar options for next season. I have a CR which means no soft top, but also it's not a dedicated track car (see's autox, weekend cruising, but not daily driver either). Does the Hard Dog roll bar make any compromises so that it doesn't effect the oem top, or is it a pretty ideal design.

My priorities (in order) when it comes to a roll bar are:
1) Safety
2) NASA/SCCA Legal
3) harness bar that supports HANS
4) keep oem glove box (can this be done with removing the bulkhead?)
5) remove stock hoops
6) keep oem seat belts for street use
7) little to no cutting

Is the hard dog still the right option for me or would something custom be better?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO the harddog bar falls short with the uprights not coming closer to the top of the main roll hoop. It basically lowers the sheer plane and isn't the BEST design. Now...its within FIA specs in that the uprights need to be greater than 30 degrees and with 100mm of the main roll hoop. But its not ideal. Does it work, is it safe...appears so. Personally though I'm going to have my own made, and if I wasn't going to X the main hoop then it would meet all your requirements.

However with item 5 do you want to remove the stock hoops? Or do you not? You do know that the stock seat belts are mounted to the stock hoops. Its not an end all and certainly a roll bar fabricator could make up a little bracket to make it work...
Old 08-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm in a very similar boat right now.

If you had a soft top and wanted to keep it, I'd get a hard dog. From what I've found, it's the best option for fitting under a soft top.

If you don't have a soft top, maybe get a custom bar that will have better design since you have more space.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:29 PM

Maybe I'll get some quotes on custom bars. If I have to pay a little more for added safety and convenience, then so be it.

I'm looking to remove the stock hoops. They seem superfluous (ie added weight) when there's a "real" bar in place. I wouldn't want to remove it though if safety is severely compromised when using the 3 point on the street.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patinum,Aug 18 2010, 08:29 PM
Maybe I'll get some quotes on custom bars. If I have to pay a little more for added safety and convenience, then so be it.

I'm looking to remove the stock hoops. They seem superfluous (ie added weight) when there's a "real" bar in place. I wouldn't want to remove it though if safety is severely compromised when using the 3 point on the street.
Let me know if youre interested in a custome rear section at all. You can take a look at our race cage once its done as well to see the workmanship if needed.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:59 PM

I love that you're local Greg. Definitely going to check it out.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me know how your research goes... I may want one made that is identical
Old 08-19-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patinum,Aug 18 2010, 01:04 PM
Starting to research my roll bar options for next season. I have a CR which means no soft top, but also it's not a dedicated track car (see's autox, weekend cruising, but not daily driver either). Does the Hard Dog roll bar make any compromises so that it doesn't effect the oem top, or is it a pretty ideal design.

My priorities (in order) when it comes to a roll bar are:
1) Safety
2) NASA/SCCA Legal
3) harness bar that supports HANS
4) keep oem glove box (can this be done with removing the bulkhead?)
5) remove stock hoops
6) keep oem seat belts for street use
7) little to no cutting

Is the hard dog still the right option for me or would something custom be better?
Hey Pat, This is Brian that pitted next to you at Putnam in May.

I think your best bet would be a custom bar. I have the harddog bar with the lowered harness bar and it definately won't do all that you are looking for.

I used it with the OEM seats, belts, bulkhead, harddog bar, and CG lock for a few events and I still failed the broomstick test, grew tired of flopping around in the OEM seats, and personally thought it looked like crap with the roll hoops missing and just the center compartment.

I then deleted the oem belts, bulkhead, and center compartment, to go with Schroth ASM FE belts since they are the only DOT approved (w/ASM) and hans approved belts on the market. I use harness pads and the 4pt harness on the street. Remove the harness pads, add the sub belt and Hybrid Pro head and neck restraint and I am ready for the track.

Its not an ideal setup, but its the best street/track setup that I felt comfortable with. Other than driving back and forth to autocrosses or trackdays I seldom drive my S2K so loosing the OEM belts was not a big deal to me.

BTW, my rollhoops and center compartment are uncut and can be reinstalled if I want to return to stock and sell it the car. Not sure if that is a priority to you.

If you end up with something custom, I am interested in seeing what it looks like.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how do you use a harness with the oem seat?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Aug 19 2010, 05:17 PM
how do you use a harness with the oem seat?
The schroth harness lap and sub belts are bolted to the floor with backing plates and the shoulder harnesses attach to the hardog lowered harness bar, so I can swap from my OEM seat and rails for my fixed back racing seat (Cobra racer Pro) and rails in 10 minutes if I wanted to.

I have never used the 4pt harness with the OEM seat on the track, but I could I guess.

Quick Reply: Is there a better roll bar design for no soft top?