S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tein RA or Tein Flex for occational autoX

Old 10-20-2004, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Oct 20 2004, 11:15 AM
I can only hope your reply was tongue-n-cheek
Yeah, I was just tweaking Jerry a bit.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 20 2004, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I was just tweaking Jerry a bit.
Thanks. I'm glad I asked and did not just assume...
Old 10-20-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=The Hoth,Oct 20 2004, 12:00 AM] "The realization that there are two limits. The car's limit, and, the limit of your own talent. "

The point is well taken. I appreciate your well written comments.

For the record, I don't think I am looking for something which can instantaneously make me a better driver. I am looking forward to upgrading the suspension to improve the handling of the car. Just like buying snow tires for the winter. You can't say people can't drive in snow who change their tires to snow tires are in denial........ it is not the tires traction, it is the driver's skills.

Any improvement helps, high performance driving training, more track time, autocross, can help, so does mods. It all comes down to personal preferences.

I understand there is certain level of pride autocross people have about their skills and knowledges. I respect that. I also understand mostly it is the driver not the mods makes the car goes fast. Newbies like me tends to be dismissed by experienced autocross people. It is only fair if I make outrageous statements like "If I have this new mods, I am going to beat you at the autocross.......", but I've never said that. In fact, I am getting these mods not to make me drive faster. I am getting mods that will change the handling characteristics of my S and make it a more enjoyable ride for me.

I know people in this forum has a lots of hands on knowledges about mods and how they can affect the handling of our cars. That's why I posted here to solicit people's opinion about these coilovers.

Instead of finding people who would stick to the subject matter and give me opinions on coilovers, I find people who would like to do nothing else but to judge me.

I guess judging is always easier than helping, huh.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:49 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=TubeDriver,Oct 20 2004, 03:50 PM]
Seriously, if you want to get rid of wheel gap, get a set of GC coilovers (340/380) on your OEM shocks (which are pretty goodd to start with).
Old 10-20-2004, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hoth,

Lemme begin by apologizing for some of the flames you got here. Seriously, it's out of love though. The reason you get the jokes is that everyone here really did go through a stage where they thought they were the sh!t and the car was holding them back or had some kind of flaw. Then they went to a track day and someone else drove their car while they sat in the passenger seat and shat themselves because they thought every turn they went into would be their last.

Everyone here is correct: you will gain NOTHING performance-wise from japanese coilovers (tein, bc, jic, etc.). They will make the car slower. This is the closely-guarded secret of the import performance industry: most of the "performance" products that come out of Japan will make the car SLOWER. If you don't believe me, PM me and we can work out a deal on my JIC "track-ready" coilovers.

To make the car look cooler: I too am of the opinion that the car just plain looks better when it's lower. If you get springs (whatever kind), it will not ride as well or handle as well, but it will look cooler and if you choose a decent set, it will still ride ok and handle ok. If you go with a set of Japanese coilovers, it will ride better than it will with stock shocks and lowering springs, but it still won't handle any better and you'll be out a lot more money. If you go with real racing dampers, it will REALLY handle poorly because you won't have the experience to tune them properly and you'll be out LOTS of money.

To make the car faster: come to a speed ventures event. We'll show you the ropes and you'll be amazed at the things you can make the car do when you leave. I'd be happy to be your instructor, but if you have a G35 sedan, I might have to do a little off-roading for you

To make the car's balance better: everyone here is right. The car understeers a little stock. You can dial in more understeer if you want, but if you make a driver mistake (lifting or inducing throttle oversteer), it will still spin. Only difference is, if you get real used to understeer, the driver-induced oversteer will really take you by surprise and you won't be prepared to catch it until it's too late. You're not going to make the car "more neutral" by making it less tail-happy, you're going to make it understeer more than it already does. Solution: come to the track and learn to control the car.

Hope this helps. Sorry that you got beat up a little - it's the normal hazing. It just means they're willing to love you if you'll put up with a little crap first.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Reverend,Oct 20 2004, 05:34 PM
To make the car faster: come to a speed ventures event. We'll show you the ropes and you'll be amazed at the things you can make the car do when you leave.
Kind of a long way from Quincy MA. But there must be something similar up there. Watkins Glen, maybe? Probably even closer than that. The New Hampshire NASCAR track has a road course, doesn't it?