S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tein RA or Tein Flex for occational autoX

Old 10-19-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I took full responsibilties of my spin out, but at the same time trying to improve the cars handling to make it more neutral is not a crime.

Reducing the car's tendency to oversteer, does not equal to eliminating oversteer. It certainly does not mean people like me would like to have full blown understeer at all.

Everyone is entitle to his/her own preferences. I think it is very childish to label other people's observation to their cars at limit handling characteristic as crap or inferior opinion. It is downright disrespectful.

Old 10-19-2004, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Oct 19 2004, 01:51 PM
For occasional track/auto-x use, there is no fundamental difference between the shocks you listed. Nothing personal meant by this, but if you only go to the track or auto-x 3 times a year, you're probably not a good enough driver to tell the difference between them. Were you more attuned to the car and how it reacts, then you may have something to worry about.

The Tein RA is theoretically a better damper btw but if you just want to reduce your wheel gap, then buy whatever is chepaest and comes with the cooler label. Really.
Thanks! I totally did not mean you "mocking" me.

Maybe some others.....they know who they are.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mommmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. They're making fun of meeeeeee!!!!!! Waaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Old 10-19-2004, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Hoth,Oct 19 2004, 01:57 PM

Everyone is entitle to his/her own preferences. I think it is very childish to label other people's observation to their cars at limit handling characteristic as crap or inferior opinion. It is downright disrespectful.
Hey payneinthe,

Thank you for proving my point. No prize for you though.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 19 2004, 11:32 AM
Now hold on just a minute there boy. Are you trying to tell me that it's my fault my car spun around like that? That's impossible -- I'm a natural driver! Maybe most people have to learn this stuff, but as soon as I got behind the wheel I was fast! And it helps that my S2000 has one of those strong engines, the ones that make way more HP than Honda underreports. I know because I can feel it when I get on the gas.

Besides, you obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about. Does oversteer come from getting on the trottle or from getting off of it? It just ain't right to say it comes from both!
Sometimes I forget you are joking in 99% of your posts.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Hoth,Oct 19 2004, 11:57 AM
Hey I took full responsibilties of my spin out, but at the same time trying to improve the cars handling to make it more neutral is not a crime.

Reducing the car's tendency to oversteer, does not equal to eliminating oversteer. It certainly does not mean people like me would like to have full blown understeer at all.
The point I was trying to make is that the car *understeers* out of the box. It does not have a tendency to oversteer. User input will cause oversteer, and a more neutral biased setup would oversteer more easily.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoth,

Hang in there.

Many of us including myself were in your shoes a while ago. You need to realize that you are peeking over a "wall". It is a wall that separates those that "want" from those that have "tasted".

Keep in mind that most of our responses are colored by our "taste" of the "go fast crack pipe" and of our hard fought knowledge of how to achieve that ultimate high.

And, don't kid yourself that you are not looking for something to be addicted to.

The first signs of this addiction is the willigness to forgo certain luxuries in the hopes of achieving that "little bit more" that always seems to allude you. What you need to realize is that this "little bit more" is what will hook you.

The surest way to experience this "little bit more" is to have a ride in your car with an experienced track driver. Having done so you will quickly come to the realization that the car is not what is slowing you down, but that, it is your own lack of talent slowing you down.

Now, after having "tasted" this "little bit more" there in will lay your first step over the "wall". The realization that there are two limits. The car's limit, and, the limit of your own talent.

------------------------------

Sorry for the ramble... I was with out electricity for several hours.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:00 PM

"The realization that there are two limits. The car's limit, and, the limit of your own talent. "

The point is well taken. I appreciate your well written comments.

For the record, I don't think I am looking for something which can instantaneously make me a better driver. I am looking forward to upgrading the suspension to improve the handling of the car. Just like buying snow tires for the winter. You can't say people can't drive in snow who change their tires to snow tires are in denial........ it is not the tires traction, it is the driver's skills.

Any improvement helps, high performance driving training, more track time, autocross, can help, so does mods. It all comes down to personal preferences.

I understand there is certain level of pride autocross people have about their skills and knowledges. I respect that. I also understand mostly it is the driver not the mods makes the car goes fast. Newbies like me tends to be dismissed by experienced autocross people. It is only fair if I make outrageous statements like "If I have this new mods, I am going to beat you at the autocross.......", but I've never said that. In fact, I am getting these mods not to make me drive faster. I am getting mods that will change the handling characteristics of my S and make it a more enjoyable ride for me.

I know people in this forum has a lots of hands on knowledges about mods and how they can affect the handling of our cars. That's why I posted here to solicit people's opinion about these coilovers.

Instead of finding people who would stick to the subject matter and give me opinions on coilovers, I find people who would like to do nothing else but to judge me.

I guess judging is always easier than helping, huh.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hoth,Oct 19 2004, 10:00 PM
I know people in this forum has a lots of hands on knowledges about mods and how they can affect the handling of our cars. That's why I posted here to solicit people's opinion about these coilovers.

Instead of finding people who would stick to the subject matter and give me opinions on coilovers, I find people who would like to do nothing else but to judge me.

I guess judging is always easier than helping, huh.
Hoth, please reread the "before you post in this forum" note at the top of the forum. This forum is basically filled with people who are interested in one thing: going faster. Your question was perfectly legit, except that you asked it in the wrong place. Would you go ask your rabbi about particle physics, and then complain when he wants to talk about religion instead?

I, for one, gave you the benefit of the doubt until you started saying that you didn't care which one made you faster. And you still aren't listening when we tell you that NEITHER ONE is going to affect the handling of your car unless you push it to a limit which you claim you have no interest in reaching.

It's like when a 5 foot tall person is trying to decide whether to buy the apartment with seven foot tall doors or eight foot tall doors. Just get whichever you want to get, because it doesn't matter.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 19 2004, 01:32 PM
Does oversteer come from getting on the trottle or from getting off of it? It just ain't right to say it comes from both!
I can only hope your reply was tongue-n-cheek, because if this is your honest opinion I have to suggest you look up "trailing throttle oversteer", it's a weight transfer thing that induces oversteer...

Quick Reply: Tein RA or Tein Flex for occational autoX