S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tein RA or Tein Flex for occational autoX

Old 10-19-2004, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Tein RA or Tein Flex for occational autoX

Hey guys,

I know RA is a more capable coilover than the Flex hands down for autox duty. How about for a guy like me, mostly use it for daily driving and maybe autox it in the future for purpose of improving my driving skills, not for the quickest time or be super competitive.

Another thing bothering me is the 12kg rear spring rate of the Tein Flex. It sounds excessive. The front is 10kg. Does it mean the setup is more incline to oversteer? My goal is to make my S more neutral. I experienced the snap oversteer once on open road and spun out into a ditch. I guess excessive oversteer is not something I am looking forward to.

LMK what you think.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241884
Old 10-19-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by payneinthe,Oct 19 2004, 10:17 AM

It seems like lately , everyone from Street Encounters has found out about this forum...
Old 10-19-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

10k/12k are a closer ratio than the stock setup. This will increase a tendency towards understeer assuming all other aspects are identical. Additionally, a stock S2000 tends to understeer out of the box with a stock alignment. "Snap oversteer" with the S2000 is pretty much a myth. Oversteer on an otherwise stock car is usually a driver induced condition. Throttle induced oversteer or lifting off the throttle are the two most common culprits. Swapping in different wheels and tires can be a contributing factor as well.

Seriously, you have to do something wrong to make the car spin quickly.Before monkeying around with dampers and spring rates you may want to check the nut behind the wheel and your alignment settings. Stock classes for SCCA Autox will not allow a different ride height either.

If your true intention is to improve your driving skills, don't waste money buying parts for the car. Use the two grand you would have blown on low-end adjustable suspension bits and sign up for driver's training at one of the schools in your area. The Evolution school specializes in Autox fundamentals and the local track surely offers HPDE's or lapping days.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Oct 19 2004, 01:21 PM
...... Use the two grand you would have blown on low-end adjustable suspension bits and sign up for driver's training at one of the schools in your area. The Evolution school specializes in Autox fundamentals and the local track surely offers HPDE's or lapping days.
Great idea. I will definitely do it after this winter. In the meantime, vanity comes into play. I like to reduce the wheel gaps, so my 18" will look better. At the same time, if the coilover can improve the handling in a positive way, I would not mind spending that kind of money to make me feel a little better, plus I can have more confidence to take my S to the autox in the future.

So under this circumstances, RA of Flex?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrypeterson,Oct 19 2004, 11:21 AM
Throttle induced oversteer or lifting off the throttle are the two most common culprits.

Seriously, you have to do something wrong to make the car spin quickly.
Now hold on just a minute there boy. Are you trying to tell me that it's my fault my car spun around like that? That's impossible -- I'm a natural driver! Maybe most people have to learn this stuff, but as soon as I got behind the wheel I was fast! And it helps that my S2000 has one of those strong engines, the ones that make way more HP than Honda underreports. I know because I can feel it when I get on the gas.

Besides, you obviously don't know what the hell you are talking about. Does oversteer come from getting on the trottle or from getting off of it? It just ain't right to say it comes from both!
Old 10-19-2004, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hoth,Oct 19 2004, 11:30 AM
Great idea. I will definitely do it after this winter. In the meantime, vanity comes into play. I like to reduce the wheel gaps, so my 18" will look better.

So under this circumstances, RA of Flex?
Whichever one comes in a color that looks good with your paint job.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 19 2004, 01:33 PM
Whichever one comes in a color that looks good with your paint job.
Oh...that is totally uncalled for. Can someone else offer me some advices besides mocking me?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out what forum you're in.
Read the link I posted.
Check out what forum you're in again.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Hoth,Oct 19 2004, 11:39 AM
Oh...that is totally uncalled for. Can someone else offer me some advices besides mocking me?
For occasional track/auto-x use, there is no fundamental difference between the shocks you listed. Nothing personal meant by this, but if you only go to the track or auto-x 3 times a year, you're probably not a good enough driver to tell the difference between them. Were you more attuned to the car and how it reacts, then you may have something to worry about.

The Tein RA is theoretically a better damper btw but if you just want to reduce your wheel gap, then buy whatever is chepaest and comes with the cooler label. Really.

Quick Reply: Tein RA or Tein Flex for occational autoX