S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tanabe FSB questions.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tanabe FSB questions.

The only real gripe about my S2K is the amount of oversteer it displays. On track, I end up being sideways for a large majority of the increasing radius. It doesn't seem as apparent in tighter, quick turns... On long steady state turns, or increasing radius turns, it definitley likes to oversteer a good bit. I tried raising front tire pressure 5psi, but it did not seem to make a difference. I already have .5 degrees more camber in the rear as well as 1/16" toe in and it still displays oversteer. I am guessing it is because of the weight distribution of the car, as it was 52% rear heavy with a full tank and driver. My car is completely stock for all intensive purposes. There are no suspension modifications. I am pretty sure the only things not stock are the shift knob, clutch, and fuel pump.

Anyways, I am to the point where I am looking at getting something a little stiffer for a front sway bar. As of right now, I am considering the Tanabe. The first question I have would obviously be if anyone has run this bar, and what do you think? Next would be if anyone knows the thickness of the walls? I'm not too afraid of spending some money on a sway bar. But at the same time, I also realize that I am spending money on a bar, and that should not warrant $400 because of some JDM name. I think the Gendron bar would be a great sway bar, but not for my uses. It seems a little much for what I need.

To me, it doesn't seem like the car would need much to correct the problem. I have also considered disconnecting the rear bar, though I don't want to insert any more body roll than the car already has. I could deal with a little less though, so it seems wiser to me to install a slightly stiffer bar up front.

Any ideas or input? Also, would anyone happen to know any shops stateside that stock the Whiteline FSB?

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:48 PM

I have the saner bar i use it on softest setting . It was cheap and has a good rep . Consider a good set of coilovers also may help alot .
Old 12-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Unfortunately, the Saner bar does not seem to be in production anymore. That was the first bar that I was sold on, but I found out soon after discovering it that it was no longer produced. The same with the Comptech bar.

Coilovers seem like a very expensive investment for a somewhat simple problem. Overall, I am very happy with the car as is. All I am really looking for is a reduction in oversteer. I would like a more neutral-to-slight understeering car. If this was a dedicated track car, I would lean more towards a more oversteer tendant chassis. I have a different car for that sort of setup.

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards the Cusco bar for safe measure.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Try going to 1/8 toe in on the rear... that really settled down the tail on my 01
Old 12-06-2009, 10:01 AM

What alignment specs are you running? A stock S2000 on stock tire sizes with a proper alignment should be nicely neutral without the need for a bigger front bar.

Also, don't take offense, but do you have previous experience in RWD sports cars? A lot of the "my car is too loose" posts from people new to this forum come from people whose previous experience has been in pushy FWD cars. In many of these cases, their S2000s are presumably driving just fine, but the drivers may not be. As a really fast autocrosser I know once told me, "the S2000 will do whatever you ask it to do, whether you knew you were asking for that or not."
Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Dec 6 2009, 11:01 AM
What alignment specs are you running? A stock S2000 on stock tire sizes with a proper alignment should be nicely neutral without the need for a bigger front bar.

Also, don't take offense, but do you have previous experience in RWD sports cars? A lot of the "my car is too loose" posts from people new to this forum come from people whose previous experience has been in pushy FWD cars. In many of these cases, their S2000s are presumably driving just fine, but the drivers may not be. As a really fast autocrosser I know once told me, "the S2000 will do whatever you ask it to do, whether you knew you were asking for that or not."
Yes I do have experience in a RWD sports car. I have a 240sx on Koni 8611 race dampers with 350whp that I have owned for six years and raced a lot. I have also let a good friend of mine who has owned a Viper ACR, a Supra, a C5, and driven tons of other cars for years drive my S2K and he found the same thing.

My alignment is -1.7 camber up front and -2.4 camber in the rear. I have 1/16" toe in in the rear.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:56 AM

^^^ I have an 01 (which is one of the most tail happy S2ks) and when I had stock wheels and street tires a -1.6f -2.5r with 1/8th toe in in the rear made a very neutral car that tended slightly towards oversteer. I would really reccomend trying a little more toe in before spending on a sway bar
Old 12-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A cheap fix is a MY06 rear sway bar. Its noticeable.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by bronxbomber252,Dec 6 2009, 12:56 PM
^^^ I have an 01 (which is one of the most tail happy S2ks) and when I had stock wheels and street tires a -1.6f -2.5r with 1/8th toe in in the rear made a very neutral car that tended slightly towards oversteer. I would really reccomend trying a little more toe in before spending on a sway bar
Just double checked my alignment sheet, Im running 1/4in to in in the rear not 1/8. but either way, this car is really sensitive to toe adjustments
Old 12-06-2009, 01:00 PM

Ive heard the cr front bar is a good upgrade . so maybe go with cr front from majestic honda . If still not happy go with the my 06 rear bar in addition to cr front bar thats should do the trick for cheap money .

Quick Reply: Tanabe FSB questions.