S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Taming the 2000 S2K for street/track

Old 04-11-2014, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
Great info thanks for the help.

So basically, with street tires the suspension wont be loaded enough to dip into the range of significant dynamic toe change? If I pull the rear sway bar, I will load the suspension more (because its softer), will that create more problems? Is that why no one advocates removing the rear bar?
I think the rear bar thing is a preference one. You're going to increase rear grip at the cost of handling sharpness as well as inducing rear body roll, hence why most people would rather use a larger front bar. Most people don't remove the rear bar unless they're chasing every last thousandth of a second - It's technically faster if you have the rest of the suspension right, but removing it takes too much away from an otherwise stock car.

What happens if I want to lower it? Will that induce more dynamic toe? Can I tune this out by changing the static settings? What are the factory toe specs compared to the UK settings? What is more forgiving? I would think more toe is stable, but I am not sure.
US static settings are more forgiving than the UK settings actually. I don't know them off-hand, but I know more toe-in is dialed in on the US ones, hence my recommendation for US toe with UK camber.

Finally, will a set of factory AP2 wheels and tires bias traction to the rear more than my AP1 setup?
Yeah, but you'll get more overall grip from the width and handling responsiveness from the shorter sidewalls. Plus they look better (though if they made an AP2-sized version of the AP1 wheels I'd buy them in a heartbeat).
Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The toe curve is almost 100% linear from 11" to 15" fender to hub. Lowering your car will NOT make the dynamic toe any worse. Nor will running r-comps put you into a range where the toe curve is worse than street tires.

And also, the Eibach front bar is virtually the same rate as your stock one so don't bother with that.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

If you yanked the rear bar I imagine the car would plow/understeer like a son of a B on a staggered tire setup like OEM. Run it OEM. The car OEM from the factory handles very well on a road course. Drive it first then think about tinkering w/ it.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imstimpy
Many people consider the AP1 suspension design to be a GOOD thing in motorsports. If the car is new to you, then find a safe way to push it and learn what it can do first before changing it.
agreed
Old 04-11-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ndogg
The toe curve is almost 100% linear from 11" to 15" fender to hub. Lowering your car will NOT make the dynamic toe any worse. Nor will running r-comps put you into a range where the toe curve is worse than street tires.

And also, the Eibach front bar is virtually the same rate as your stock one so don't bother with that.
you're right

the eibach bar on stiff is 418lbs vs cr/ 00,01 bar 392,393
Old 04-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

IMHO spend $45-60 for an autocross event or $xxx.xx for a track event. Learn the car and your self. then modify as needed.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:22 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

running more rear toe is a cheap way to tame the ass however you wear tires faster obviously, so my not be cheap in the end
Old 04-11-2014, 12:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

OK,

I already had a set of factory Ap2 wheels in mind. I will try those first and get an alignment with US Toe specs, UK camber specs. I will run it that way for a while. If I feel its too loose I will go for an 04+ rear bar.

If the rear toe is linear through four inches of travel, whats with the early AP1s having a bad rep for oversteer?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

OK,

I already had a set of factory Ap2 wheels in mind. I will try those first and get an alignment with US Toe specs, UK camber specs. I will run it that way for a while. If I feel its too loose I will go for an 04+ rear bar.

If the rear toe is linear through four inches of travel, whats with the early AP1s having a bad rep for oversteer?
For one, it is a common misconception that lowering the car increases the dynamic toe in AP1. But having said that, even though it is linear, it is still pretty drastic. AP2 toe doesn't really move at all in comparison.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If it's bone stock, it probably has those tiny little 205 front 225 rear tires, give yourself a little margin for error with a set of AP2 17" wheels with the CR tire sizing 215/255, but other than that, get yourself an alignment (a good one), good tires (rs3 v2), brake lines, fluid and go throw the rest of the money at the track!

What's the point of disconnecting the ap1 sway bar? You just turned the sweetest RWD car into a civic.

Throwing money at the problem with r-comps, fancy wheels, bsk, adjustable sway bars, coil overs - you are just masking the problem (you) and at that point you might as well have just started with DBW AP2.

A friend of mine told me, the AP1 will teach the driver how to drive.

Oh I can't stress this enough, if you go to the track, don't take random advice or driving style coaching from anyone but a solid s2000 driver, no one else knows how to tame the car (generally speaking, shifter kart & miata drivers are ok, too).

Quick Reply: Taming the 2000 S2K for street/track