S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Sway bar questions

Old 12-07-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar questions

I wanted to buy Steve's bar on eBay, but was foiled in my attempted pickoff by a balky satellite connection Steve's FAQ here is a great place to start on this topic, but, in making the final choice, I have some questions.

Anyway, my MY04 is my daily driver, for my 50 mile round trip (25 miles each way). I also use it on the track, weather and schedule permitting, monthly or more when I can. I also will do some autocross, although, to the extent that I have to choose a setup which will favor one or the other, driving on the track wins, except I would prefer to stay stock for autox, to lessen the humiliation.

I would like to get a bar which I can install myself, and which I can adjust myself. I would like it to be a bar which will not make any of the three activities I use the car for--daily driving, autox and track--dangerous, and will actually make all three safer. I always thought that my car tended to oversteer, and it has done so on occasion, but, on my last track day--admittedly on a cold, slippery track--there were serious signs of understeer.

All three of the choices mentioned in Steve's FAQ have their issues. I'm not really thrilled with a solution which will require me to figure out how to get someone to machine something to solve a problem I can't quantify, as seems to be the case with both the Saner bar and the Gendron bar, and the Saner bar (whose price I like) is rarely available.

Thus, I am wondering at the experience people have had with the Comtech bar, and whether it would work for my needs as stated above.

Finally, to add a somewhat related question, does the anti-bumpsteer kit sold by GoFast Labs make sense, with or without a sway bar, and does it affect one's status as a stock car for autox?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard anyone complain about the second-generation Comptech bar -- seems like a good piece if you can afford it. Sounds like a bit of a hassle to change settings, but that really only matters if you were planning on making changes between runs.

The bump steer kit isn't legal is Stock...

Steve
Old 12-07-2004, 04:50 PM

Keep in touch with me. I'll be making a decision here in the next few weeks about whether or not my S2000 will be running another season. If I decide to part it out, I'll have a Gendron available (and its already had all the machining done to it!)

I won't use eBay to part out my car... I'd much prefer to find other Northwest folks to sell the parts to.

Andy H.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Administrator

We've sold a bunch of the Comptech bars and haven't had a single complaint about the 2nd gen ones. Saner might be available soon for a limited time...but I'm hesitant to even say that at this point.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:22 AM

I have the Comptech bar and the adjustment is no big thing as long as the bolt isn't frozen into place. (I have never changed from full stiff and now need to remove the bar to get the bolt out even though I greased it during installation.) You simply pop the plastic splash shield off and move the bolt. I believe that this can be done much faster than adjusting the other bars although I have no experience in either of them.

In your case, it would have been a 10 minute job at the track to soften the bar - less if you already had the shield off and didn't replace it.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:26 AM

I have Grendon set at one off full stiff and love it for auto-x on blacktop and is just right on street. The one track day I had was in rain. Grendon will plant the inside rear wheel, period. I found it too stiff when set on stiffest setting. Car would not roll enough to weight the outside wheels (on blacktop). Have read that on concreat you'll need it on full stiff if using race rubber.