S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Swap different brands of pads

Old 02-21-2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap different brands of pads

Anyone here swap two different brands of pads for street/race on the same set of rotors? Any thoughts on that?

Do you bed in the pads on every swap, or only the first time they're used?

For the people that are against that, do you have two sets of rotors for street/race that are mated to their pad?

Do some people swap, but run the same brand of pads for street and race as recommend by some pad manufacturers?

I'm preparing my car for doing track days, and am trying to figure out a brake solution. I want to run full race pads on the track, but it would be great to keep my OEM pads for the street. They have tons of life left, and I don't want any extra rotor wear, noise, or dust on the street.

What is the most rotor friendly race pad?

Searching around, I've found these race pads:

Carbotech XP8 or XP10
Cobalt ??
EBC Yellow stuff
Porterfield R4
Hawk Blue 9012 or HT 10

Any of the above have a street pad that is equal or better than OEM at rotor wear, noise, and dust?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

If I remember correctly the 00-01 pads are the best on noise and dust. The 02+ pads were very dusty. For a street pad.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffM,Feb 21 2007, 02:41 PM
Anyone here swap two different brands of pads for street/race on the same set of rotors?
I've done this.

For the people that are against that, do you have two sets of rotors for street/race that are mated to their pad?
I've done this.

Do some people swap, but run the same brand of pads for street and race as recommend by some pad manufacturers?
I've done this.

I'm preparing my car for doing track days, and am trying to figure out a brake solution. I want to run full race pads on the track, but it would be great to keep my OEM pads for the street.
I've done this.

All of those things work. None of them work perfectly.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffM,Feb 21 2007, 04:41 PM
do you have two sets of rotors for street/race that are mated to their pad?
I do this. I figure in about 1 hour to swap rotor/pads/wheels/brake fluid bleed. It wears on me (physically) when its hot out, but I think it saves pad and I think its safer on the street (using OEM pads).
Old 02-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Not necessary to change rotors or to re-bed with change of pads. If anything the street pads have more bite after running the track pads on the same rotors. But I strongly recommend getting full race pads for track and OEM pads for street. I like the Hawk HT10 front with Hawk Blue or Black rear.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by rlaifatt,Feb 21 2007, 03:30 PM
Not necessary to change rotors or to re-bed with change of pads. If anything the street pads have more bite after running the track pads on the same rotors. But I strongly recommend getting full race pads for track and OEM pads for street. I like the Hawk HT10 front with Hawk Blue or Black rear.
thats such a pain to change them for the events though makes me want to get a bbk so i can swap them easy.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:02 PM

So we have a couple votes for it being OK to run OEM and race pads on the same rotor.

Anyone believe that it is better to run street and race pads from the same manufacturer? Or is this just marketing propaganda.

I don't mind the extra work of changing the rotor, just the extra cost. I want to get rotor friendly race pad too.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by rlaifatt,Feb 21 2007, 05:30 PM

I might go to this method...and it's much easier to swap JUST the pads. I would guess that would save me about 30 mins of time by not having to pull off the entire caliper.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was swapping rotors for a while -- not because I was worried about the pads but because my rotors were getting eaten up by the track and I wanted to be sure I had a good, safe set of rotors on the car for the street.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 PM

If they will stop you on the track with R-compounds and race pads they will stop you on the street .

I usually worry the other way around.... I'd be comfortable with old worn hair-line cracked rotors on the street but more concerned about them on the track.

Quick Reply: Swap different brands of pads