S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Suspension Settings so far, any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo terry! Im still gonna listen to u lol, I just want to understand the changes I'm making and why when the time comes that guy never responded with those ball joints BTW
Old 08-21-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatypusMan
Yo terry! Im still gonna listen to u lol, I just want to understand the changes I'm making and why when the time comes that guy never responded with those ball joints BTW
its the weekend. some people have lives lol
Old 08-21-2011, 07:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatypusMan
Ahhh well thanks for clearing that up cuz anyone who was running a higher camber up front couldn't give me a rationale on why lol. So you don't need to take into consideration more grip for braking? Also with the rs3's would 2.5 be a good compromise or should I go with even less camber
They are running higher camber up front, because running a stiff front bar and no rear bar causes them to have to reduce the grip in the rear so the car does not have excessive understeer.

The 30mm Tanabe rear bar you were running is to stiff for a Saner bar and a square set-up. But, given that your front springs a 3K stiffer than your rears, I think you'd be fine running an OEM bar in the rear.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:32 PM

Your car is setup very interestingly. Front shocks on FULL stiff? 3kg front spring rate bias? Front sway bar on full stiff? Rear sway bar disconnected? Rear shocks on full soft?? It sounds like you are really desperately trying to get rid of the oversteer

My suggestion is soften up your front shocks a bit, stiffen up your rears a bit, connect the rear bar, and learn how to drive it and don't focus too much more on tuning it. Playing with all that stuff will just take your focus away from driving, and you'll always be blaming some portion of your car rather than the driver error that is most likely occurring. No offense intended.

Also, I don't believe any shocks are supposed to be set at full stiff.

I am running KWV3's, 12/10 spring rates, 255 square, stock sway bars (both connected), -3.3 camber square, on RS3's.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front shocks are on full stiff, swaybar on full stiff, high front spring bias, lower( not full soft) rear shocks and no rear bar.

I don't see much wrong with what the OP did to make his car drivable. Keep playing with the rear rebound to fine tune rear grip.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by '09S2K
Your car is setup very interestingly. Front shocks on FULL stiff? 3kg front spring rate bias? Front sway bar on full stiff? Rear sway bar disconnected? Rear shocks on full soft?? It sounds like you are really desperately trying to get rid of the oversteer

My suggestion is soften up your front shocks a bit, stiffen up your rears a bit, connect the rear bar, and learn how to drive it and don't focus too much more on tuning it. Playing with all that stuff will just take your focus away from driving, and you'll always be blaming some portion of your car rather than the driver error that is most likely occurring. No offense intended.

I am running KWV3's, 12/10 spring rates, 255 square, stock sway bars (both connected), -3.3 camber square, on RS3's.
It sounds like you don't autocross your car - autocrossing requires a much higher front roll stiffness than driving on track does because of the slaloms. His setup sounds reasonable, although I do agree that setting shocks all the way stiff or soft is typically not a great idea, but depending on the shock it can be fine.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
Originally Posted by '09S2K' timestamp='1314084748' post='20904233

It sounds like you don't autocross your car - autocrossing requires a much higher front roll stiffness than driving on track does because of the slaloms. His setup sounds reasonable, although I do agree that setting shocks all the way stiff or soft is typically not a great idea, but depending on the shock it can be fine.
It requires much higher roll stiffness front and rear because of the slaloms.
A car giving up rear camber to make up for the lack of rear stiffness, can probably obtain better performance with a different set-up.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:02 PM

Well first off, the reason it was full stiff front and full soft rear was because I was prematurely oveesteering. I have no problem controling the car but when I know I should be able to take a corner faster I made extreme adjustments to see if I could get it to understeer at all. I intend on adjusting the stiffness of both front and rear to find a nice balance. I was merely posting on here to get feed back if there was anything I should consider doing IE more camber up front/less in rear, or stiffer springs up front etc. I appreciate all the posts from what it sounds like my set up is not all that abnormal which means all the homework I did was well spent
Old 08-23-2011, 06:04 PM

Btw if anyone was curious I'm running the DGR coilovers which are amazing