S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Suspension problem from track accident

Old 09-19-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
How did they conclude the damaged part to be the knuckles?
Upon inspection, they deemed the subframe to be intact and not shifted as some had warned. No other signs of damage could be detected. Given my explanation of how I went off, they pointed to the knuckles as being the most likely damaged given their weakness. They would be the first to go before other suspension components. I was afraid the control arms may have also been damaged, but it seems the knuckles were the extent. I'm very thankful for that.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Probably your couldn't visualize any damage, but just assume based on the facts that it was most likely those components. So...replace, and see what happens.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Wojteczko
I'd be willing to bet rear upright is bent.
The uprights bend very easily and it is hard to see visually
Check the gap of the outer tie rod vs backing plate on the left side versus right side.
^ This is your answer. You have a bent knuckle/upright.

EDIT: Just read the thread - LOL.

To add something helpful to this for future users who might search and find this thread:

90% of the S2000's I see that have track incidents and alignment problems afterward are the result of a bent knuckle. I have never seen a bent subframe that wasn't attached to a car that was TOTALED! It takes a lot to bend a subframe on an S2000. I have seen bent arms, but this is far less common than bent knuckles/uprights and requires a pretty substantial impact. If you have an off track excursion, alignment problems, and cannot visibly identify any damaged components - try replacing the knuckle on that corner before spending money going down other paths.

Additionally, I recommend replacing all of the ball joints on any corner where the wheel has seen a "significant" impact. Significant meaning a suspension member was bent or damaged. This may seem like paranoia, but I believe falls in the "better safe than sorry" category of precautions.

-Aaron
Old 04-14-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Bumping this thread from the dead because it really helped me. I was missing almost 1 degree of camber in the rear after a few high speed offs last year. I never even hit anything just going off into the dirt at 70mph. I replaced the knuckle and got it all back so thanks. And if anyone else reads this the knuckles are weak! I tried to measure the old knuckle and new knuckle and there was barely any differences but a slight slight tweak equals big camber deltas!
Old 04-15-2015, 03:38 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

wow, yours was a rear!?

I had the same problem, was reading and was going to say knuckle. glad it worked out, check your alignment tabs. mine need rewelding.... 2011?

Everything on my car lined up, except for camber on my right side. Somehow I managed to bend the knuckle at the upper arm. Potholes are killer.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just hit a curb last season, i repaired what was noticeable bent.. driver rear toe arm. lower control arm and thats it. i put it away for winter and just pulled her out recently. i bought myself works wheels and nice tires. i then goto a wheel alignment and couldnt get toe or camber within spec due to maxing them both out, so i bought rear adjustable toe arms(hardrace) and buddy club ball joints. i now also buying oem knuckle with the oem wheel bearing. hopfully this will get me into the specs i want. i will update.