S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SUSPENSION DEBATE

Old 10-12-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUSPENSION DEBATE

i AM ON THE MARKET FOR SUSPENSION AND OF COURSE I AM LOOKING FOR SOMETHING AWESOME BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO CHOOSEFROM. I HEAR GREAT THINGS FORM ALL OF THE ABOVE SUSPENSION MAKES. BUT I AM HAVING TROUBLE DECIDING ON WHAT IS TRULY BEST AND WHAT WILL SIGNIFICANTLY GIVE ME FASTER LAP TIMES. I DO NOT INTEND ON DAILY DRIVING THE CAR AND COMFORT IS NO IN THE PICTURE FOR ME. MY PRICE RANGE GOES UP TO ABOUT 4500 BUCKS SO MONEY IS NOT A BIG DEAL. I WOULD BE DOING NASA TT AND TIME ATTACKS, I CURRENTLY COMPETE IN TWO RACING SERIES CALLED ( REAL TIME ATTACK) AND (GLOBAL TIME ATTACK) SO FAR I HAVE NOT LOST A RACE YET THIS SEASON BUT I AM IN THE STOCK CLASS. I AM VERY COMPETETIVE WITH MY SETUP WHICH IS BASICALLY A STOCK SETUP BUT I AM LOOKIG FOR THE NEXT STEP IN SUSPENSION AND STICKIER TIRES ( R COMPS) I WOULD TRULY APPRECIATE THE HELP AND CHECK ME OUT ON FACEBOOK/BRYANHRACING.COM FOR ALL OF MY NEXT RACES.THANKS ALOT
Old 10-12-2011, 09:29 AM

Choose the one that you will give you access to the best support. They all work well, but if you don't have your own knowledge base for it, and you can find support from a vendor, shop, or local enthusiast that is well versed in that particular shock and its valving, tuning, and setup, then you will not be able to take advantage of that resource. They will just be chassis jewelry.

P.S. Turn off your caps-lock key.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why are you yelling?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 AM

Hey Bryan,

This is Austin. We met at Autobahn a few weeks ago when you were there for GTA. I was the one who wasn't driving that day. Anyways, like Jason and I were telling you, the ASTs are hard to beat right now. Are there any stipulations for the class you want to run as far as external/piggyback reservoirs go? I suggest talking to the people who race/track their s2ks in the northeast and seeing who they use for suspension setup and going after them. It helps to have someone local who can tune your suspension for you from your likes/dislikes of how the car is handling.

If you're willing to make the trek down to Lexington, KY, many people are happy with Aaron (Cuonice on here) who does chassis/suspension setup. If there were more local GTA events, I'd look into running them with you. If there is another event in the midwest, I'd think about it, just for fun.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 AM

Caps lock

One thing to keep in mind if you are running NASA TT is that shocks with remote or external resevoirs are worth extra points.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:06 AM

with a $4,500 budget, you can forget about AST 5200, Ohlins TTX, JRZ RS Pro, Moton Clubsport, and any of the Race Bred JRZ/Moton stuff as all those are beyond what you are willing to spend unless you can find them used, someone is selling an unused set, or you can somehow find a SCREAMING deal from a vendor.

my short list would be one of these (not in any type of order):
-Evasive Spec Eibach R2-Pro (16k/900# spring rates all around)
-Evasive Spec Tein SRC (16k/900# spring rates all around)
-Base Spec Tein SRC (16k/900# spring rates all around)
-AST 4100 or 4200 or 5100
-KW Clubsport

you can't go wrong with any of those.

i believe Buddy Club and Stance are now also offering 3-way adjustable coil overs, but i'm not sure if that will fit into whatever class you are racing in. BC Racing and Megan also offer 2 way adjustables, i can't comment on the performance and quality of these said products.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by aCab
Hey Bryan,

This is Austin. We met at Autobahn a few weeks ago when you were there for GTA. I was the one who wasn't driving that day. Anyways, like Jason and I were telling you, the ASTs are hard to beat right now. Are there any stipulations for the class you want to run as far as external/piggyback reservoirs go? I suggest talking to the people who race/track their s2ks in the northeast and seeing who they use for suspension setup and going after them. It helps to have someone local who can tune your suspension for you from your likes/dislikes of how the car is handling.

If you're willing to make the trek down to Lexington, KY, many people are happy with Aaron (Cuonice on here) who does chassis/suspension setup. If there were more local GTA events, I'd look into running them with you. If there is another event in the midwest, I'd think about it, just for fun.

Good luck!

I do remeber meeting up with you. I have been looking very deeply into ast's. I do have a local suspension tuner and as far as local guys running s2k's there are alot running moton's. There will be on e final event her ein njmp and that will be run in the track they race alms in . Its the thunder track. hopefully we will get together and actually race this time.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by -outkast-
with a $4,500 budget, you can forget about AST 5200, Ohlins TTX, JRZ RS Pro, Moton Clubsport, and any of the Race Bred JRZ/Moton stuff as all those are beyond what you are willing to spend unless you can find them used, someone is selling an unused set, or you can somehow find a SCREAMING deal from a vendor.

my short list would be one of these (not in any type of order):
-Evasive Spec Eibach R2-Pro (16k/900# spring rates all around)
-Evasive Spec Tein SRC (16k/900# spring rates all around)
-Base Spec Tein SRC (16k/900# spring rates all around)
-AST 4100 or 4200 or 5100
-KW Clubsport

you can't go wrong with any of those.

i believe Buddy Club and Stance are now also offering 3-way adjustable coil overs, but i'm not sure if that will fit into whatever class you are racing in. BC Racing and Megan also offer 2 way adjustables, i can't comment on the performance and quality of these said products.
I only said 4500 now cause thats my budget but I can alaways save some more for something along the lines of ast 5200 etc. I will be looking into all of those setups and def need something by next season. I am kinda leaning towards the ast i hear alot of good things
Old 10-12-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ViperASR
Caps lock

One thing to keep in mind if you are running NASA TT is that shocks with remote or external resevoirs are worth extra points.
Yea thats another thing i have to consider. sorry about the caps. I dont know how to switch it back to lower case after i posted everything
Old 10-12-2011, 11:04 AM

LOOOUUDDDDDD NOISES!!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUUTTT!!!!!!!

You could pick up a used set of Moton Clubsports in that price range. I would say to try and grab those if possible.

Also, maybe consider a set of the Koni Racing Coilovers? They do not seem to be popular at all for the s2000 track guys, but a local NA Miata guy here is crazy fast with them. Something to consider (and maybe in the price range you are going for?)

I think you get in to the law of diminishing returns when you get above $4k or $5k for spring/shock combo. Beyond that you get in to the individual high speed/low speed dampening adjustments, which, although valuable, are going to be worth alot less time than upping your spring rates with sufficient dampers, but being able to flat foot the car over curbing can be highly beneficial on some tracks...

Nick

Quick Reply: SUSPENSION DEBATE