S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: What tires (primary) do you use?
Hankook R-S3 255
45.33%
Hankook R-S3 245
4.00%
Dunlop Star Spec 255
21.33%
Dunlop Star Spec 245
5.33%
Toyo R1R 245
0%
Toyo R1R 255
0%
Other
20.44%
BFG Rival 255
3.11%
BFG Rival 245
0.44%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

STR Prep - Wheels and Tires

Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by khaosman
So for you RS3 guys, when do you find that start "falling off" or heat cycling out? I have over 50 runs on mine so far and they still seem pretty good.

At the last event I did feel that they were overheating though. Do they need to be sprayed down? My morning three runs were my fastest (unusual for me, ha), and the afternoon runs were about .5-.8sec off of that pace. It was a sunny day in the high 70s-mid 80s on a grippy concrete runway.
My experience is that they are good until the grooves are gone as long as the surface is good. They do need to be cooled down with water if they get too hot. As long as you can hold your hand on them then they are good. Just be careful of the starting temp, if too high then they will over heat during a run. The slip angles start increasing.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nmrado
Originally Posted by JiminVirginia' timestamp='1367936612' post='22524894
Set up Question

The poll at the top of the thread suggests at least a few guys are running a square set up using Enkei Racing PF01 (17x9 +60) with 255/40/17 tires.

Any fitment issues? Does this work in front as well as rear?

(I'm a new s2000 owner, previously running a ZO6. I'd appreciate any advice.)

Jim
17x9 +60 to +63 is pretty much the spec wheel setup. You'll need more negative camber up front, depending on ride height. The typical range is -2.5 to -3.5 degrees. The rear has more clearance and will not rub at most camber settings. You'll want about -2.5 to -2.8 degrees in the rear. That should get you started. Most of us experience a bit of running on the fender liners, but it's nothing major. At full steering lock, you might get slight contact between the inner wheel lip and one of the control arms (can't remember which, to be honest).
Just curious on this for my own interest. Some folks roll / modify the front in some way, others don't. What seems to be the determining factor for that? We've got two sets of the +63 TRM wheels, and will probably pick up two sets of PF01s for my build next year. Curious what I'm looking at having to take care of there.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself sold my RS3 tires after 100 runs as I felt they started to hear cycle out or fall off slightly. Selling them for half price meant 2 sets of tires a season all good tread at the cost of one set of tires

We shall see how the rivals turn out
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanDavies
Originally Posted by nmrado' timestamp='1367938911' post='22524979
[quote name='JiminVirginia' timestamp='1367936612' post='22524894']
Set up Question

The poll at the top of the thread suggests at least a few guys are running a square set up using Enkei Racing PF01 (17x9 +60) with 255/40/17 tires.

Any fitment issues? Does this work in front as well as rear?

(I'm a new s2000 owner, previously running a ZO6. I'd appreciate any advice.)

Jim
17x9 +60 to +63 is pretty much the spec wheel setup. You'll need more negative camber up front, depending on ride height. The typical range is -2.5 to -3.5 degrees. The rear has more clearance and will not rub at most camber settings. You'll want about -2.5 to -2.8 degrees in the rear. That should get you started. Most of us experience a bit of running on the fender liners, but it's nothing major. At full steering lock, you might get slight contact between the inner wheel lip and one of the control arms (can't remember which, to be honest).
Just curious on this for my own interest. Some folks roll / modify the front in some way, others don't. What seems to be the determining factor for that? We've got two sets of the +63 TRM wheels, and will probably pick up two sets of PF01s for my build next year. Curious what I'm looking at having to take care of there.
[/quote]

Ride height. Up in the 13.25", maybe 13", range you don't need to roll, or if you have narrower tires/wheels. At my ride height (12.75") with my soft-ish suspension the tabs have to be bent up.

Also I think you'd be surprised, pretty sure most are rolled.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:30 AM

Ride height is part of it. What will happen is you will hit a particular bump while the wheel is turned out and it will pull the fender. Or you will get into a counter steer when your back end breaks loose in a high speed sweeper. The car will be fully loaded up on the outside front tire and it will pull the fender out. It's just a matter of time. This is a repeat story for many over the last few years.

If you are going to run 255s up front then get to the fender rolling before the fender gets pulled out by the tire.

Typical Pattern
  1. Denial - Drive for a while and do nothing until you hear some rubbing.
  2. Partial Acceptance - Bend the fender tab back because the tire gets shaved, part of the fender liner gets worn away.
  3. Full Acknowledgement - Roll the fender because it pulled out on a bump or high speed counter steer.

Pulled fender after high speed counter steer after which the fenders got rolled.

Start of liner wear near outer edge

Here's the rolled fender and how much of the fender liner will be gone. I ended up cutting the hanging pieces out on each end.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Been reading this thread with interest. I've been running competitively at local events in STR with a mostly stock set up. I have AP2 wheels, 225/255 tires, Eibach Pro Kit springs and sway bars on an AP1. (Rear bar currently disconnected.) I do not plan to do the full STR prep, but would like another set of wheels and tires. I'm thinking of trying 17x9 +63 with 245/40 BFG Rivals square. The car currently sits at 13". Can I get away without rolling the fronts? Or will the softer springs give me problems?

Thanks, Mark
Old 08-14-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Random1
Typical Pattern
  1. Denial - Drive for a while and do nothing until you hear some rubbing.
  2. Partial Acceptance - Bend the fender tab back because the tire gets shaved, part of the fender liner gets worn away.
  3. Full Acknowledgement - Roll the fender because it pulled out on a bump or high speed counter steer.
I'm currently in "Partial Acceptance" as I had a new Rival get cut by a tab... I then promptly (before the next run) bent the tab by hand. It's taken me a couple of years to get to that point. I'm hoping I don't quite have to make it to "Full Acknowledgement" as I am likely retiring my 2001 and going a different route for autocrossing. haha

GREAT POST, BTW!!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Been reading this thread with interest. I've been running competitively at local events in STR with a mostly stock set up. I have AP2 wheels, 225/255 tires, Eibach Pro Kit springs and sway bars on an AP1. (Rear bar currently disconnected.) I do not plan to do the full STR prep, but would like another set of wheels and tires. I'm thinking of trying 17x9 +63 with 245/40 BFG Rivals square. The car currently sits at 13". Can I get away without rolling the fronts? Or will the softer springs give me problems?

Thanks, Mark
Found my own answer. It became obvious that I had to roll the fenders after the first event.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:33 AM

I'm convinced the S2000 handles better at a higher ride height (close to OEM). My AP1 is approx 4.75-5" (after corner balance) from a level surface to the jack points (unbent/good condition). I have confirmed this now on 2 cars (AP1 and AP2) and looking for more willing to try my settings and let me drive. What we though about bump steer and the angles of the rear control arms doesn't translate to actual driving behavior on an autox course. That said and to make this point relevant to the topic, why lower your car and deal with these fender clearance issues? This may even allow for some more aggressive offsets.

-Marc
Old 09-17-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sirbunz
I'm convinced the S2000 handles better at a higher ride height (close to OEM). My AP1 is approx 4.75-5" (after corner balance) from a level surface to the jack points (unbent/good condition). I have confirmed this now on 2 cars (AP1 and AP2) and looking for more willing to try my settings and let me drive. What we though about bump steer and the angles of the rear control arms doesn't translate to actual driving behavior on an autox course. That said and to make this point relevant to the topic, why lower your car and deal with these fender clearance issues? This may even allow for some more aggressive offsets.

-Marc
Marc have you measured the normal wheel hub to fender measurement? Remember that we were all saying you were too low before, you were way lower than everyone else. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the geometry was compromised then. At the more normal ride heights of 12.8" plus or minus a few tenths I wonder if you would have the same experience.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Wheels and Tires