S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: What tires (primary) do you use?
Hankook R-S3 255
45.33%
Hankook R-S3 245
4.00%
Dunlop Star Spec 255
21.33%
Dunlop Star Spec 245
5.33%
Toyo R1R 245
0%
Toyo R1R 255
0%
Other
20.44%
BFG Rival 255
3.11%
BFG Rival 245
0.44%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

STR Prep - Wheels and Tires

Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you were there Rob. I think you are a great representative. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hollis himself posted on facebook that the rival was 1 second faster on the 2:02 track than the Z2 and that the z2 had peaky grip in comparison.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM

...Adds Andy on facebook so I can see the post. define "peaky grip"? As in the slip angle falls over very quickly?

Grassroots, we need a comparison!

edit- heres the link... http://www.facebook.com/HollisRacing#!/HollisRacing

Look what Junior posted!
"Hope to have a detailed update on the new BFG Rival later tonight or tomorrow, but in short, the "road tire" autocross community is in for a real treat, as well as the weekend track day crowd. This tire behaves like a r-comp, and wears better than any tire I've ever seen!"
Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josh7owens
Robert you think they will be better then the Z2's? I would hate to buy tires just to realie I brought the wrong ones shortly after.
Bases on BFG claims and data the Rival performs better. Andy's test was on a road course. BFG said they could not get enough Z1s or Z2s for the event today, so we did not get to do back to back testing. Besides that I found the Rival impressive and you should have enough time to hear people provide feedback on the Rivals under real Autocross conditions. IOW your next set could be Rivals if the indications continue to be positive.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by legend4life
Rob, that sounds exciting, you're lucky to attend that event! Thanks for sharing, sounds like your impressions of the Rival were favorable. Any timed results/comparisons to the RS3?
Sorry no times were taken for any of the testing. I wish we would have at least taken out our stop watches. It was all feel based which was all positive compared to the other tires.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
...Adds Andy on facebook so I can see the post. define "peaky grip"? As in the slip angle falls over very quickly?

Grassroots, we need a comparison!
I wish I had the graph that we saw showing this. The peak grip of the Rival has a broad range over which you can easily recover and the slopes approaching the peak grip are gradual unlike the highest grip race slicks that have steep slopes before/after the peak with a very narrow peak grip range.

I intentionally avoided using slip angle in my description above, but that is correct. In the graph below (found on a page explaining how F1 tires work) the blue curve would represent the Dunlop and the red curve would represent the Rival relatively speaking. Those curves give a feel for what I described above.

So the Rival has a broader range of slip angle over which it is very forgiving making the much easier to drive/control.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Random1
Originally Posted by legend4life' timestamp='1358907910' post='22285079
Rob, that sounds exciting, you're lucky to attend that event! Thanks for sharing, sounds like your impressions of the Rival were favorable. Any timed results/comparisons to the RS3?
Sorry no times were taken for any of the testing. I wish we would have at least taken out our stop watches. It was all feel based which was all positive compared to the other tires.
No worries, though I wonder why they wouldn't have made accomodations for timers; but definitely agree on the stop watches. Are you going back tomorrow? If so, perhaps you guys can figure out a stop watch solution. Direct timed results on the autocross course of the Rival vs RS3 and Z2 would be some great data to have. Thanks again for sharing!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 PM

It's easy to optimize a setup to make a tire not work. Just throwing that out there. Remember that this is a promotion sponsored by the tire they want to "win". I'd suspend judgement for now.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM

OK, cool, we are all on the same page then. I don't start racing till March so hopefully we will have tire testing done by then. I like to hold out as long as I can on buying tires due to the whole freshness thing! I'm not baller enough to buy the wrong tires and then turn around a week later and order a different set. Glad I didn't jump the gun and order tires like so many people did!

I want to see a test using a Roadster, Miata/S2k, preferably a S2000 (Grassroots please do it!) and test the top 3-4 Street Tires and then also test some Hoosiers so we can see how far off pace the current street tire is to the slick. I feel like the Gap keeps closing and closing!

Juniors comment- Skidpad testing- Comp2= .095, Rival 1.0, R1-S 1.1G

Not sure what tire is the comp2?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM

I agree with Junior's statement regarding wear. The photos I posted of the tires from the STi illustrate that. The structure of the tire maintains a consistant contact patch that manages heat and wear very well.

I flip my RS3s inside out every 6 events or so to manage even wear. If the wear of the Rival is that good then I hope flipping will not be necessary since they have an asymmetric design. I asked about flipping and they said it could be done but it's not optimized if you do it. They are not directional so you can rotate them from left to right without issue.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Wheels and Tires