S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: What tires (primary) do you use?
Hankook R-S3 255
45.33%
Hankook R-S3 245
4.00%
Dunlop Star Spec 255
21.33%
Dunlop Star Spec 245
5.33%
Toyo R1R 245
0%
Toyo R1R 255
0%
Other
20.44%
BFG Rival 255
3.11%
BFG Rival 245
0.44%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

STR Prep - Wheels and Tires

Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh7owens
Thanks for the info. I'm still holding out until right before I start racing again in March. Hopefully someone will post tire test up when they do them. Sucks we don't have a standard 1 tire like the Hoosiers guys do. We have to take a gamble on what tire to run.
They have it bad too this season. Just did a back to back testing of BFG vs Hoosier. Lets just say it was unanimous decision at the end of the day. Goodyears backed out big time for grassroots motorsports. At the shop here we still have a set of Toyo RR to try out. The guys at Toyo tell me it shouldn't be that great for Solo but more for those who liked the RA1. They wanted a tire that performed right away like an A6 but didn't want to shave an RA1, so maybe similar to the Kumho V710.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else besides Jonathan done any testing on sizes between 235, 245, and 255 on 9" wheel and have any data they could share on the effect on acceleration vs grip, response, heat management, etc?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oinojo
Just did a back to back testing of BFG vs Hoosier. Lets just say it was unanimous decision at the end of the day.
Willing to share more details? Perhaps on another thread since this one's STR-specific?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 AM

Interesting....

Z1 vs Z2
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Positive results so far. Glad I already ordered some!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Yes, so far....still don't have the whole field of play out yet. BFG and Bridgestone rumored to have new entries in the next couple of months. Plus Dunlop's supply mgmt could make the tires scarce initially. Third, did you expect a different result from the main seller of this new tire? Not saying anything suspicious afoot, but did you really think the tire would not be better than the Z1? The question is where it stacks up against the other new tires. IIRC the PSS was faster than the Z1* by a simlar margin in a recent C&D article

Tire test July 2012
Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xraymd
Yes, so far....still don't have the whole field of play out yet. BFG and Bridgestone rumored to have new entries in the next couple of months. Plus Dunlop's supply mgmt could make the tires scarce initially. Third, did you expect a different result from the main seller of this new tire? Not saying anything suspicious afoot, but did you really think the tire would not be better than the Z1? The question is where it stacks up against the other new tires. IIRC the PSS was faster than the Z1* by a simlar margin in a recent C&D article

Tire test July 2012
I've tested the PSS and the Z1 pretty extensively. That C&D article is crap - I'm a huge margin slower on the PSS than I am on the Z1. Tire Rack articles, on the other hand, have generally been accurate in my experience.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:15 PM

What that tells me is that the Z1* is the better tire for you. In your situation. Just like the PSS was the better tire in their situation. Look, I'm not out to tell anyone what tire to buy. I am pointing out that different tests may yield different rsults, no test is perfect, and you shouldn't overly rely upon (or overly reject) any one set of results. FWIW the C&D test was at the same Tirerack test facility with nearly the same cars.

Caveat emptor, YMMV, etc
Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What that tells me is that the Z1* is the better tire for you. In your situation. Just like the PSS was the better tire in their situation. Look, I'm not out to tell anyone what tire to buy. I am pointing out that different tests may yield different rsults, no test is perfect, and you shouldn't overly rely upon (or overly reject) any one set of results. FWIW the C&D test was at the same Tirerack test facility with nearly the same cars.

Caveat emptor, YMMV, etc
Yep.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tire test July 2012
Many sucessors have been worse and others upgraded to by worse. The RE01-R was great whereas the RE11 were bricks. Azenis, RA1s, Falken RTs, etc to name a few more. I'm sure there are others. Just because one tire is discontinued and replaced with something else and given a bunch of hype doesn't give it instant value in my book. A tire has to prove itself and suit my (our) particular needs. Those needs are going to be outside of the intended purpose of the tire in the first place. Auto-x is not the first thing on a tire manufacturers mind. C&D, TireRack, even GRM is very limited on providing all the test setup info . We don't know the settings ... suspension, alignment, bar settings, wheel width, etc and all matter when we compare them for an STR S2000. Unfortunately most of us do not have the funds to put on such a test.

-Marc

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Wheels and Tires