S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: What tires (primary) do you use?
Hankook R-S3 255
45.33%
Hankook R-S3 245
4.00%
Dunlop Star Spec 255
21.33%
Dunlop Star Spec 245
5.33%
Toyo R1R 245
0%
Toyo R1R 255
0%
Other
20.44%
BFG Rival 255
3.11%
BFG Rival 245
0.44%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

STR Prep - Wheels and Tires

Old 04-05-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jon, that's helpful. For the 1/4" I meant for AP1s anyway, as I think as was mentioned that's the stock spec, and some fast driver's have found that to be work well for stability as well.

lol@Tory looping it every event.

The type of useage you guys got last year is basically what I'm looking for. Josh, was yours with 1/4" toe? Did you notice uneven wear? What's your experience with running less toe?

I'm just running the dunlops this year for street/autox/rain, I don't drive much except to events, but those miles add up. I'm not exactly sure, but I think I'd do roughly 6k+ miles and 200+ runs, and basically just want the full season out of them. I wonder if the dunlops might wear a bit better than the kooks too.

I think I'll start with 1/4" toe, might adjust height lower later if possible, so that should reduce it a bit. Maybe I'll get some toe plates and test different settings too. Jon, do you check/set yours yourself?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 PM

Here pictures of the tires when I took them off..

Name:  IMG_0481.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  123.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0479.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  116.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0478.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  143.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0477.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  124.7 KB

^^^^ try driving in the rain with these!

I'm not sure which tire went where since its been so long. I would guess the more worn ones are rears. The toe setting was at 1/ inch total and for my set-up driving style the car sucked ass. I bitched about it all the time. The problem was I had a adjuster siezed up and needed to be cut off the car but with school/work/racing/GF I had no free time to mess with it until the off season. Hens the reason I put all new bushings in the car during the off season. I've only ran the car once so far this season and it worked very well. More rear toe made the car alot better.

As for tire wear... I didn't rotate the tires because I didn't really care and since most of my driving is all interstate tire wears isn't going to tell any stories. This year I'm going to be alittle more serious and take care of my tires.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
The toe setting was at 1/ inch total and for my set-up driving style the car sucked ass. I bitched about it all the time. The problem was I had a adjuster siezed up and needed to be cut off the car but with school/work/racing/GF I had no free time to mess with it until the off season. Hens the reason I put all new bushings in the car during the off season. I've only ran the car once so far this season and it worked very well. More rear toe made the car alot better.
What was the toe setting last year? You didn't type the full number. Also which adjuster was seized, and what was the setting because of it causing the poor handling? What toe setting are you running this season?

Thanks for the pics, looks like you have some inside toe wear on the two rears, but not completely gone yet. Could probably have split that uneven wear with the fronts by rotating.

The Kooks suck in the rain even with some tread...with no tread though, even the Dunlops are terrifying. They kick out violently, feels like somethings broken.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 AM

sorry, working and typing at the same time doesn't work very well. 1/8" total. on my old set-up I hated it. Granted it could of just been my set-up or driving style. You can look at my vimeo and all of my videos from last season and see how loose it was. granted I did trophy at a national tour last year on my crappy set-up but I was ice skating the whole course.

link to my crappy runs....

http://vimeo.com/31381581

I posted the run that I completely blow because it was 1.5 seconds faster then the run I had to actually use to be calculated in my time. The run I had to use was crappy but still good enough for a trophy.

edit-

one of the rear driver side adjusters. The one closet to the back of the car. It wouldn't move so I was stuck at a setting of 1/8" total toe in. I'm now running 1/4" total toe in and the car is much better. As I'll say for the third time... for my driving style and the rest of my set-up it's better. That does not mean it's better on all set-ups.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by legend4life
Originally Posted by glagola1' timestamp='1333630174' post='21578327
I don't think "cutting" is legal or at least there is no language about it in the rules. Pushing them up totally works.
My installer, who has rolled lots of fenders, said he can't roll the inner lip in without cutting the tabs, something about how the roller won't fit. Anyone know about this, or how to make it work?
BTW, I'm glad you posted this, I was about to have the tabs cut. I did have the tabs bent, and the liner trimmed. Now I just need to figure out the lip between the tabs, as my guy said he couldn't roll it without cutting the tabs. Anyone know why, or if a certain kind of roller is needed? Is rolling the lip part even required for 12.5", or just bending the tabs is enough? If anyone at that height has pictures of how the inside of their fender is done, that would be helpful to see.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:57 AM

Thanks Josh, think I'm going to start with 1/4" based on the wear you guys have seen and the number of people who have recommened it for AP1s, and go from there. Might test other settings later, just need a solid baseline to start with for now.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 AM

Also, not sure where this goes so will just put it here as well. My AP1 front bumper has these dark plastic colored guards hangling low on each side, they look like they scrape when lowered in hard corners. I'm not sure, but I don't think I see these on some STR cars. Do you guys remove them, and how, are they cut off?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:23 AM

In front of the the front wheels? Those dams are pretty important for curbing high speed lift. Id keep them if you could.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not legal to remove the strakes. They must stay.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:21 AM

let 'em rub.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Wheels and Tires