S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: What tires (primary) do you use?
Hankook R-S3 255
45.33%
Hankook R-S3 245
4.00%
Dunlop Star Spec 255
21.33%
Dunlop Star Spec 245
5.33%
Toyo R1R 245
0%
Toyo R1R 255
0%
Other
20.44%
BFG Rival 255
3.11%
BFG Rival 245
0.44%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

STR Prep - Wheels and Tires

Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glagola1
I don't think "cutting" is legal or at least there is no language about it in the rules. Pushing them up totally works.

Also, yes, you will get lots of premature tire wear with big camber and 1/4" toe but in reality, I would only get about 9000 miles out of the stock Bridgestone S02's with a stock alignment. Currently, I'm running zero toe and the street use wear is imperceptible.
My installer, who has rolled lots of fenders, said he can't roll the inner lip in without cutting the tabs, something about how the roller won't fit. Anyone know about this, or how to make it work?

I'd like to run zero toe, but don't think I have enough front roll stiffness bias (900f/800r, 1.25 hollow f/MX5 r) to balance it out? I'd be happy to get close to 9k miles out of the Star Specs with lots of autox use though. How long do they last for people running 1/4" rear toe in?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before the diff install, I ran zero toe with less bias towards front stiffness than your current set up and the car was great. YMMV
Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by glagola1
Before the diff install, I ran zero toe with less bias towards front stiffness than your current set up and the car was great. YMMV
Thanks Matt, that's good info. I know everyone's setup/style is different, as it seems like most people run softer roll stiffness, more front bias, and at least 1/4" rear toe for stability, while yours seems unique in how much roll stiffness, rear bias, and 0 toe that you like.

I'd really like 0 toe to minimize uneven wear, so I can drive the car without worrying about destroying the tires, but don't want to be chasing an overly loose rear end either. Since I will already be at the minimum rear bar, max front bar setting, and travel limited from lowering rear height, I would only have compression/rebound adjustments to tune balance with given static 0 toe. Do you think that's enough to tune something that is easy enough to drive with my setup?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:03 PM

Autoxing a car and worried about how many street miles you get out of the race tires?

Matt's car has a 2 way LSD which is nothing like your car. 1/4" total rear toe is within the normal range for a s2000s toe settings. Why are you worried about tire wear? I drive my car 18,000 miles a year and I wouldn't make a sacrifice on my settings to get more street miles out of tires.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by legend4life
Originally Posted by glagola1' timestamp='1333645277' post='21579286
Thanks Matt, that's good info. I know everyone's setup/style is different, as it seems like most people run softer roll stiffness, more front bias, and at least 1/4" rear toe for stability, while yours seems unique in how much roll stiffness, rear bias, and 0 toe that you like.

I'd really like 0 toe to minimize uneven wear, so I can drive the car without worrying about destroying the tires, but don't want to be chasing an overly loose rear end either. Since I will already be at the minimum rear bar, max front bar setting, and travel limited from lowering rear height, I would only have compression/rebound adjustments to tune balance with given static 0 toe. Do you think that's enough to tune something that is easy enough to drive with my setup?
My personal opinion is to run a little toe at least. I can't see, say, 1/8" or less of toe affecting your tire wear much if any. And you'd be surprised how many people run less than 1/4", for example I'm somewhere between 1/8 and 3/16", closer to 3/16".

I have no idea how much it's affected tire wear since I've never run significantly less, but I definitely don't see any wear in obvious toe patterns. My hankooks did wear on the outside more than the inside but I don't know if that was camber related or toe related.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by legend4life
Originally Posted by glagola1' timestamp='1333645277' post='21579286

My personal opinion is to run a little toe at least in the rear. I can't see, say, .1" or less of toe affecting your tire wear much if any, although that's conjecture. And you'd be surprised how many people run less than 1/4", for example I'm somewhere between 1/8 and 3/16", closer to 3/16". Factory specs allow up to 2mm toe in (or .08"). AP1's seem to run more as a general rule, for good reason since they have more of a toe curve.

I have no idea how much my toe has affected tire wear since I've never run significantly less, but I definitely don't see any wear in obvious toe patterns. My hankooks did wear on the outside more than the inside but I don't know if that was camber related or toe related.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
Autoxing a car and worried about how many street miles you get out of the race tires?

Matt's car has a 2 way LSD which is nothing like your car. 1/4" total rear toe is within the normal range for a s2000s toe settings. Why are you worried about tire wear? I drive my car 18,000 miles a year and I wouldn't make a sacrifice on my settings to get more street miles out of tires.
Matt specified, this was before his diff install as well. I'd rather not waste sets of good tires prematurely if I can avoid it, they're not cheap, as long as I can retain an alignment that doesn't give up performance. I don't drive 18k/year, less than half that, and as I said, would be happy to get half that out of them, but I don't know how quickly the toe will wear them out, that's why I'm asking. The 'race tires' are street tires. Is that 18k on your autox street tires or do you keep them for autox only, and use a different set of tires for the street? How much toe are you running, and what kind of wear do you see from it?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM

I got about 5-6k out of my last set of hankooks, plus about 150-175 autocross runs. They weren't totally gone yet but it was right before nats so I decided just to change them. Rotated front to rear regularly, 2.8 degrees camber front, 2.4 degrees camber rear and probably closer to 1/4" toe in back then.

Edit: Could have gotten significantly more life out of them if I had flipped them on the wheels.

Edit 2: And Tory loops the car at least once every single event.

Edit 3: Changed the number of autocrosses to number of runs
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Last season...

I run snow tires from Nov.-March but from March to Nov. I ran my "race" tires on the car the whole time. By Oct they got down to about 2/32 so I got a new set. I ran that new set for a month before putting on my snow tires again. So basicly I got 7 months of street driving and 200 + runs out of one set of tires. The old tires wee atleast a second off pase of new ones if not more.

This season-

Using my second set of tires from the end of last season that had a month of street driving on them. I'm going to continue street driving them and autocrossing until I order my set of DW's to put on my other set of wheels. Once that happens I'll only be driving on my race wheels at events and the DW's will be my daily/rain autox wheels.

Before I go to the byltheville tour I'll get another set of tires and scrub them in at a event or two before trailering them to the race.

Driving on kooks in the rain is scary, unless they are brand new I rather not drive on them at all on the street.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
Driving on kooks in the rain is scary, unless they are brand new I rather not drive on them at all on the street.
This is the one time I actually leave my traction control on.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Wheels and Tires