S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Prep - Weight Reduction

Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My battery setup

Edit: I actually cut away the excess foam on the top for a cleaner look
Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Josh, what the hell dude? You need to cut off those long anchor bolts for even more reduction. Also, some black rubber would look better.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:45 AM

Haha Oo Matt! Long time no see man! I agree! Just got the battery in today and put it on the car, you know me, ill be cutting off the extra post length soon enough.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is removing the battery tray a legal mod, or do CR's not come with it?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by SC_Highlander
is removing the battery tray a legal mod, or do CR's not come with it?
They come with them, it's a legal mod
Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 AM

its legal due to battery relocation rule. the best way to do this is to leave the tray in place and to use a worm clamp.

You can also use the tray holes to bolt down a bracket that clamps the battery directly to the frame.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 AM

Has there ever been clarification on that? I read it as '*If* the battery is moved, you can remove the tray'. It's obviously not a huge deal either way, was just curious if this was a clarified answer or just how people have tended to interpret the rule.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Caelaorn
Has there ever been clarification on that? I read it as '*If* the battery is moved, you can remove the tray'. It's obviously not a huge deal either way, was just curious if this was a clarified answer or just how people have tended to interpret the rule.
Wow, the way it was written (and the way I read it), the tray can be removed if the battery is relocated.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:44 AM

I've seen it done on serveral S2000s, the tray only weights 1.3 lbs. the way it's read is if the tray is removable via bolts you can remove it, the tray can be removed or relocated with the battery.

The word OR means can include or cannot include. Therefore if you want to relocated the battery and mount the tray in the new location you can. OR if you want to remove it you can do that as well.

If someone ever tried to argue that it means remove and relocate (wrong because it says or not and) you could simply argue that it is "relocated." The stock battery is X" from the firewall and X" from the side of the heat shield and X" from the side of the car. With my setup the battery is different measurements from all these objects, the battery is mounted using a different method/different holes, and the battery is turned about 45 degrees from how it normally is. All of these attributes fall under "relocation" from the original origin.

It can be argued either way and both ways result in it being legal to remove the tray.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM

Right, I guess my questioning was around what constitutes relocation of the battery. Does placing the battery on the frame where the tray used to be count as relocation or does the battery count as being effectively in the stock location? If the former the removal is fine - if the latter the removal probably isn't legal.

Given the arguments that have been thrown around before about relative minutia, it just seems a bit of a generous interpretation compared to other things

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Weight Reduction