S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment

Old 01-26-2012, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hum good idea.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:33 AM

I'll just stay lurking in the back ground waiting for the results

I do agree that of you can learn to drive a ap1 s2000 at the limit you can get in any car and be able to drive it "well"

I have yet to get in a car that give me as much of a rush as my str s2000 when driving at the limit. The brakes on a porshe carrera gt did scare the crap put of me though. I honestly felt like I was going to get thrown thru the windshield.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rrthorne8
Originally Posted by nmrado' timestamp='1326605042' post='21318214
[quote name='rrthorne8' timestamp='1326500176' post='21315426']
but i have some questions on the spc upper offset ball joints, has anyone else noticed that they are taller then the oem ones?

isnt this almost the opposite of what a roll center adjuster is supposed to fix?
what effects on handling may have taken place by essentially spacing the front or rear upper ball joint?
what affect does this have on the rules>
The characteristic that matters is the location of the actual ball joint of the SPC assembly with respect to the spindle. The ball joint location with respect to the spindle can be laterally altered but may not be vertically altered. A lateral distance change provides the camber change and has a small impact on roll center height. A vertical change primarily impacts roll center height and has minimal impact on the camber curves.

So, because the SPC assemblies keep the ball joint - spindle relationship the same in the vertical direction, they are legal. The overall assembly dimensions don't dictate motion...just wheel clearance. Make sense?
what i am saying is that it appears that the SPC ball joint is in fact vertically taller then oem. i do understand the difference between camber and roll center
[/quote]

Originally Posted by nmrado
Originally Posted by rrthorne8' timestamp='1326673294' post='21319707
what i am saying is that it appears that the SPC ball joint is in fact vertically taller then oem. i do understand the difference between camber and roll center
Ah, fair enough. I thought you were saying the overall dimension of the assembly was larger, not specifically the ball joint location. It's been a while since I've looked at an SPC camber joint. Anyone have a side-by-side comparison?
SO? anyone have oem and SPC for comparison?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:42 PM

I'll leave this here...

bushing install

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/484...nd-arm-refurb/
Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Reading some of this makes me want to try autocrossing an AP1...before I got my second AP2 I almost had a great deal on one too.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murderedrsx
snip...

The ideal thing would be to simply plot the toe vs the suspension compression to look for magnitude and direction of toe change at various ride heights. Although you cant infer degrees of toe from that it gives you a good idea of what the toe curve is doing.
I agree that we really just need to understand the dynamic characteristics of the rear toe.

One additional data point that I believe is important along the curve is when the rear control arm is level. This would be when inner and outboard connection points are equal in height assuming the car chassis is level. I think this will be the point where the dynamic toe curve (slope or derivative) switches from toe out to toe in (changes sign) during compression. The opposite effect will occur during rebound.

Assuming this slope change occurs (hypothesis right now) you can then decide where on the overall toe curve you would like to operate by setting your ride height accordingly. I think if the control arm is slanted down from inner to outboard point there will be toe out on initial turn in during compression followed by toe in once past this point. If your ride height is low enough for the control arm to be slanted upward when at rest then only toe in would be experienced during compression. We'll let the data tell us what reality is. I also thing this point will be different for AP1 vs AP2, where on the curve the slope change is relative to the location in the compression/rebound stroke.

Also note that your springs, sway bars and shocks will control how much of the curve is used (traversed) for any given dynamic course situation. Higher spring/sway bar rates and shock damping will reduce how much of the curve is used. It could be that with a soft less controlled suspension the rear will be more "lively" because more of the curve is used.

So for anyone making the measurement please note on the curve where the rear control arm is level. Also note AP1 or AP2 along with year. We should be able to see if there is both toe out and toe in on the curve based on the shape.

Personally I don't care what the actual values of toe are through this toe curve. The only value of toe I care about is for alignment purposes. All the points on the curve are relative to the static alignment point and you cannot change (adjust) the curve. You can only change where on the curve you operate.

I may pull my right rear shock this weekend and try to capture the curve.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Random1
I agree that we really just need to understand the dynamic characteristics of the rear toe.

One additional data point that I believe is important along the curve is when the rear control arm is level. This would be when inner and outboard connection points are e[media]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/5702937556_ffc2306aa0.jpg[/media]qual in height assuming the car chassis is level. I think this will be the point where the dynamic toe curve (slope or derivative) switches from toe out to toe in (changes sign) during compression. The opposite effect will occur during rebound.
I have a feeling that this hypothesis is incorrect. I don't think that it's as simple this. The concept of "level" is a relative concept. Level to the ground doesn't have much bearing when there are multiple axis that the knuckle is controlled by as it moves through it's range. You have the axis that runs between the top and bottom ball joints of the knuckle (not level). You have the axis of the upper control arm mounting points (this one looks level). There is the axis of the lower control arm mounting points that's at a pretty serious angle relative to the upper CA. Then you have the axis of the toe arm mounting point relative to the upper and lower control arm axis which are not in alignment.

My kingdom for a toe curve! I mean, look at this thing. Axis everywhere.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glagola1
Originally Posted by Random1' timestamp='1327678054' post='21357984

One additional data point that I believe is important along the curve is when the rear control arm is level. This would be when inner and outboard connection points are e[media]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/5702937556_ffc2306aa0.jpg[/media]qual in height assuming the car chassis is level. I think this will be the point where the dynamic toe curve (slope or derivative) switches from toe out to toe in (changes sign) during compression. The opposite effect will occur during rebound.
I have a feeling that this hypothesis is incorrect. I don't think that it's as simple this. The concept of "level" is a relative concept. Level to the ground doesn't have much bearing when there are multiple axis that the knuckle is controlled by as it moves through it's range. You have the axis that runs between the top and bottom ball joints of the knuckle (not level). You have the axis of the upper control arm mounting points (this one looks level). There is the axis of the lower control arm mounting points that's at a pretty serious angle relative to the upper CA. Then you have the axis of the toe arm mounting point relative to the upper and lower control arm axis which are not in alignment.

My kingdom for a toe curve! I mean, look at this thing. Axis everywhere.
I won't disagree with the complexity of the suspension and that "level" is relative or may not even be a correct word to use for this situation, but at some point on the curve I am betting that there is a transition from toe out to to in during the stroke in both compression and rebound. I look forward to some data to help us understand better.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm betting that in the range of motion we use, we will see only toe-in on compression and only toe-out under extension. The interesting part will be if that range of toe is more or less dramatic at different ride heights.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Random1
Personally I don't care what the actual values of toe are through this toe curve. The only value of toe I care about is for alignment purposes. All the points on the curve are relative to the static alignment point and you cannot change (adjust) the curve. You can only change where on the curve you operate.
While I agree that actual values are not important (although they'd be nice, even if approximate), one thing that is important is figuring out when you're toe in, when you're at 0 toe, and when you're toed out. So however/whatever you're measuring, make sure there's a way to know this

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment