S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment

Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rrthorne8
but i have some questions on the spc upper offset ball joints, has anyone else noticed that they are taller then the oem ones?

isnt this almost the opposite of what a roll center adjuster is supposed to fix?
what effects on handling may have taken place by essentially spacing the front or rear upper ball joint?
what affect does this have on the rules>
The characteristic that matters is the location of the actual ball joint of the SPC assembly with respect to the spindle. The ball joint location with respect to the spindle can be laterally altered but may not be vertically altered. A lateral distance change provides the camber change and has a small impact on roll center height. A vertical change primarily impacts roll center height and has minimal impact on the camber curves.

So, because the SPC assemblies keep the ball joint - spindle relationship the same in the vertical direction, they are legal. The overall assembly dimensions don't dictate motion...just wheel clearance. Make sense?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nmrado
Originally Posted by rrthorne8' timestamp='1326500176' post='21315426
but i have some questions on the spc upper offset ball joints, has anyone else noticed that they are taller then the oem ones?

isnt this almost the opposite of what a roll center adjuster is supposed to fix?
what effects on handling may have taken place by essentially spacing the front or rear upper ball joint?
what affect does this have on the rules>
The characteristic that matters is the location of the actual ball joint of the SPC assembly with respect to the spindle. The ball joint location with respect to the spindle can be laterally altered but may not be vertically altered. A lateral distance change provides the camber change and has a small impact on roll center height. A vertical change primarily impacts roll center height and has minimal impact on the camber curves.

So, because the SPC assemblies keep the ball joint - spindle relationship the same in the vertical direction, they are legal. The overall assembly dimensions don't dictate motion...just wheel clearance. Make sense?
what i am saying is that it appears that the SPC ball joint is in fact vertically taller then oem. i do understand the difference between camber and roll center
Old 01-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by rrthorne8
what i am saying is that it appears that the SPC ball joint is in fact vertically taller then oem. i do understand the difference between camber and roll center
Ah, fair enough. I thought you were saying the overall dimension of the assembly was larger, not specifically the ball joint location. It's been a while since I've looked at an SPC camber joint. Anyone have a side-by-side comparison?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to do this today. I should be able to take measurements tomorrow. Got distracted with last minute call out at work
Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 PM

has anyone done a write up on replacing the bushings? I ordered the mugan complience bushing and the rest of them from powerflex.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Havent heard many trying the mugen hard rubber bushings and compliants... would love some proper detail on what these feel like.
Also still waiting for some pics on the spc offset and its possible roll center change. i dont have my originals any longer
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 AM

Rear toe curve: It's being touched on in the swaybar thread but I was thinking it should really be in here.

Rob, looking at that diagram you made, I had a question for you. Did you actually take measurements at the wheel through a range of motion or did you use conjecture when determining the relationship of the toe arm to the knuckle? If it's the latter, then I'm worried you may be on the wrong track. Don't forget that the knuckle moves fore and aft as limited by the two control arms being angled relative to the pick up point for the toe arm. This means that when the wheel droops, the knuckle gets closer to the toe arm and the opposite for compression.

There is one guy on here who has taken the measurements and his findings show that the curve is fairly linear. I'd love to attempt it for myself though. Perhaps the next time I change springs.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:48 PM

An S2ki member is trying to organize a group buy for PowerFlex bushings. Not sure whether it will be successful or not, but here's the thread: Suspension Forum - PowerFlex group buy.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glagola1
Rear toe curve: It's being touched on in the swaybar thread but I was thinking it should really be in here.

Rob, looking at that diagram you made, I had a question for you. Did you actually take measurements at the wheel through a range of motion or did you use conjecture when determining the relationship of the toe arm to the knuckle? If it's the latter, then I'm worried you may be on the wrong track. Don't forget that the knuckle moves fore and aft as limited by the two control arms being angled relative to the pick up point for the toe arm. This means that when the wheel droops, the knuckle gets closer to the toe arm and the opposite for compression.

There is one guy on here who has taken the measurements and his findings show that the curve is fairly linear. I'd love to attempt it for myself though. Perhaps the next time I change springs.
Yes better here than sway bar thread, thanks. I hear you. I have not measured, but when I rebuild my shocks in a month or so I will see if I can get a reasonable measure of what actually happens.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:47 AM

You just have to wonder why after this car being used by enthusiasts for the last 11 years, there are no toe curves commonly available. I mean, it would be a great resource especially when looking at the differences between the AP1 and AP2. And why haven't any of the bump steer kit manufacturers used it to help sell their products?

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment