S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment

Old 03-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I worked up a couple of JavaScript calculators to convert toe in degrees to inches and convert toe inches to degrees. It simply uses the toe angle from one wheel and the tire's diameter. Could you suspension gurus take a look and let me know if you agree with what's on the page? Thanks in advance.

Convert Toe Degrees to Inches

Convert Toe Inches to Degrees

Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that matches what I have for .25" total.. kinda

Name:  4a2d9df7.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  133.5 KB
Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Former Moderator

Josh, when I plug in .2861 for a 25.03" tire I get .24997" so that's pretty close to .25".
Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by robrob
Josh, when I plug in .2861 for a 25.03" tire I get .24997" so that's pretty close to .25".

Yea for the sake of doing conversions it's very very close to what I came up with. I made that cheat sheet a while back because all you internet folk want to talk about .XX" toe when in reality I'm using degrees on a alignment rack to set my car up!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Former Moderator

I was working on my home alignment using strings and went looking for a conversion calculator online and couldn't find one so I threw together some code. Just wanted to get a sanity check before too many people see it. Thanks for the verification Josh.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 PM

Your welcome Rob! nice calc you made! I'll probably be using it!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 762
Just figured I should post on here to get this topic back up now that discussion over alignment and front camber has come back to the forefront.

Who is now running more than -3 degrees up front? and what camber solution are you using to get there?

Currently I am on the S1 J's joint and I am maxed out at -3. So it looks like I may have to go for the S2 joint unless someone has a better solution.
Under what circumstances have you determined that much camber actually necessary? The max I have run is -2.6*F/-2.4*R and I'm considering going back down. I thought increasing camber would net me higher overall cornering speed but I haven't seen anything to indicate it has accomplished much. The car isn't rolling over very far and pyro shows 10-20*F differential, increasing towards the inside.

Has anybody found a measurable difference with rear toe and straightaway speeds? Theoretically, a car with zero toe will create less drag than one with 1/4" total toe-in thus yielding a higher straightaway speed. I haven't experimented much with rear toe honestly. With every increase in rear toe the car has been easier to drive and, therefore, faster. Are there real-world circumstances where less rear toe is better (tire wear notwithstanding)?

My car is working brilliantly right now so I'm at a point where I might change something just to change it.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Former Moderator

Unless you're pulling in from a hot lap, stopping in the pits (not paddock) and immediately getting the temp of the tires the outside edge will cool much faster than the inside because at cool down speeds the outside edge isn't doing much.

I'm running -3.5 front and -3 rear camber and the tire wear and temps are pretty optimal--lap times too.

The AP1 really does seem to like the factory recommended 0.25 inch total rear toe-in. I've tried less and didn't like it.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imstimpy
Originally Posted by 762' timestamp='1348944393' post='22046618
Just figured I should post on here to get this topic back up now that discussion over alignment and front camber has come back to the forefront.

Who is now running more than -3 degrees up front? and what camber solution are you using to get there?

Currently I am on the S1 J's joint and I am maxed out at -3. So it looks like I may have to go for the S2 joint unless someone has a better solution.
Under what circumstances have you determined that much camber actually necessary? The max I have run is -2.6*F/-2.4*R and I'm considering going back down. I thought increasing camber would net me higher overall cornering speed but I haven't seen anything to indicate it has accomplished much. The car isn't rolling over very far and pyro shows 10-20*F differential, increasing towards the inside.

Has anybody found a measurable difference with rear toe and straightaway speeds? Theoretically, a car with zero toe will create less drag than one with 1/4" total toe-in thus yielding a higher straightaway speed. I haven't experimented much with rear toe honestly. With every increase in rear toe the car has been easier to drive and, therefore, faster. Are there real-world circumstances where less rear toe is better (tire wear notwithstanding)?

My car is working brilliantly right now so I'm at a point where I might change something just to change it.
I am running -3F and -2.5R. The front tire wear is even in general with outer edge getting more, so flipping inside to out is needed occasionally. The rear wear is even in general with more on the inside 25% probably because of drag race starts for autox. Outside not so much. I am running R3s with 39 psi front and 37 psi rear.

What tires are you running? What pressures? Maybe you are not going fast enough in the turns?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Random1
Originally Posted by imstimpy' timestamp='1364242553' post='22427519

I am running -3F and -2.5R. The front tire wear is even in general with outer edge getting more, so flipping inside to out is needed occasionally. The rear wear is even in general with more on the inside 25% probably because of drag race starts for autox. Outside not so much. I am running R3s with 39 psi front and 37 psi rear.

What tires are you running? What pressures? Maybe you are not going fast enough in the turns?
LOL! Sometimes I wonder if I'm just not driving fast enough

I wore Dunlop Z1s evenly (no flipping required) at -2.4F/-2.2R. Hankooks, on the other hand, wore the outside faster and had to be flipped when I ran them at -2.4R/-2.2R. I wore another set of Dunlops evenly at -2.6F/-2.4R. I run between 34 and 36psi on the Dunlops but pressures don't seem to matter much. The new ZIIs are rolling even less on the outside, which is what brought this to mind.

I'm running on the stiff side with the Gendron 1.375" front bar, Gendron 0.975" rear bar, 900# front springs, 650# rear springs. Provided the rates aren't too much for the car/tires, I'd think higher rates and less camber might be harder to drive but faster than software rates and more camber. The car is intuitive to drive and far more stable than any time in the past.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment