S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment

Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
Originally Posted by mron0903' timestamp='1333981454' post='21589802
What's a good ride height? I just installed my coilovers and did my alignment. Front i'm at 13.5" and rear is at 13.375. My alignment settings are as follows;

Front:
Camber -2.8
Caster 6.3
Toe 0

Rear:
Camber -2.6
Toe 1/4 total toe-in.

My concern is the car is sitting too high and could benifit more if I set it just a bit lower, but I also don't want to sacrafice driveability since I do drive the S 3-4 times during the week to work. The roads around me aren't the best. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
That will work well. I've won national level events with suspension settings and height similar to yours, and I am not a great driver. Could it benefit some from lowering? Probably. Different people will argue different amounts, some will say it's a big deal, some will say we're talking miniscule amounts better. I don't think anyone would argue that those settings would be uncompetitive at any level other than the national championships.

I'd probably recommend lowering it at least a little if possible. I think you've still got more room to be comfortable on the street.

Right now I'm running just a little over 13" ride height on my daily driven s2000 on 800 and 700 lb/in springs, and that seems to work just fine. It's not as comfortable as stock but it's a good compromise for me. And I feel my car is competitive at any level.

To get a more in-depth answer than that you'll have to do some reading to see what different people's opinions are, and try it yourself.
You have any problems rubbing or are your fenders rolled? I would like to avoid rolling, that's mainly why I set the ride height I did but that's why I'm second guessing myself if I should go lower. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717
Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mron0903
Originally Posted by IntegraR0064' timestamp='1333989421' post='21590389
[quote name='mron0903' timestamp='1333981454' post='21589802']
What's a good ride height? I just installed my coilovers and did my alignment. Front i'm at 13.5" and rear is at 13.375. My alignment settings are as follows;

Front:
Camber -2.8
Caster 6.3
Toe 0

Rear:
Camber -2.6
Toe 1/4 total toe-in.

My concern is the car is sitting too high and could benifit more if I set it just a bit lower, but I also don't want to sacrafice driveability since I do drive the S 3-4 times during the week to work. The roads around me aren't the best. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
That will work well. I've won national level events with suspension settings and height similar to yours, and I am not a great driver. Could it benefit some from lowering? Probably. Different people will argue different amounts, some will say it's a big deal, some will say we're talking miniscule amounts better. I don't think anyone would argue that those settings would be uncompetitive at any level other than the national championships.

I'd probably recommend lowering it at least a little if possible. I think you've still got more room to be comfortable on the street.

Right now I'm running just a little over 13" ride height on my daily driven s2000 on 800 and 700 lb/in springs, and that seems to work just fine. It's not as comfortable as stock but it's a good compromise for me. And I feel my car is competitive at any level.

To get a more in-depth answer than that you'll have to do some reading to see what different people's opinions are, and try it yourself.
You have any problems rubbing or are your fenders rolled? I would like to avoid rolling, that's mainly why I set the ride height I did but that's why I'm second guessing myself if I should go lower. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717
[/quote]

In front the tabs are bent up, rear is untouched.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mLeach' timestamp='1333983041' post='21589917
I guess those links at the top of the page have become invisible lately. Let me help you help yourself.

https://www.s2ki.com/...scussion-links/

https://www.s2ki.com/...-autocross-faq/
I've looked at all the STR links and Ride height thread. What I'm asking is for personal opinions on the matter. No need to be a dick about it, but thank you for your post.
I feel that if you are lead to ask this question, then the answer is, it does not matter at your level of experience. Just set it and go, make changes, if you know what you want, and repeat.

The general guidance is, don't go so low that you bottom out, and not too high, though it's better to error on the high side.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM

I hate to beat a dead horse, but what was the final verdict on the SPS balljoints?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glagola1
We need to have a webinar.

The one thing that is a potential gotcha is that these are not sliding adjusters. They are rotating adjust which will affect caster and that is not legal. I had not thought of that until I saw Jason Rhodes quote.

Let me repeat it for the 4th time: THE TOTAL HEIGHT OF THE JOINT IS NOT AN ISSUE IF THE SHANK AND BALL ARE DIMENSIONALLY SIMILAR TO STOCK. ALL THAT HAPPENS ABOVE THE BALL JOINT IS IRRELEVANT TO SUSPENSION MOTION.
I hate to beat a dead horse, but what was the final verdict on the SPC balljoints?
This is where we need to elaborate on and clarify.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't have anything to do with legality but after less than 9000 miles the set of SPC offset ball joints I had installed on my STR car last year have worn out. Not sure if this was the cause but I was running at 12 3/4" ride height most of that time. I ended up ordering another set due to time limitations of trying to get the car ready for the Pro this weekend otherwise I probably would have went hard-race lower or possibly an offset upper bushing. When ordering the new set I asked Evasive if they had heard of premature failures and they said "No we sell a lot of those".
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM

I know lowering the rear adds rear toe in, at STR ride heights, per the toe curve vs ride height charts posted here, but does anyone know the affect on front toe for lowering the front? Does it also toe in, or does it toe out?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front:
Camber -2.8
Caster 6.3
Toe 0

Rear:
Camber -2.6
Toe 1/4 total toe-in.

I only have a one finger gap in the front, most camber they could get on mine was -2.5. You must be pretty low right now to be able to get that camber with noce other adjustable bits. I have yet to measure my actual ride height however
Old 05-04-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by legend4life
I know lowering the rear adds rear toe in, at STR ride heights, per the toe curve vs ride height charts posted here, but does anyone know the affect on front toe for lowering the front? Does it also toe in, or does it toe out?
I think you can tell by the angle of the tie rods going from the rack to the hub. If the hub attachment point is lower than the inner pivot point then lowering should cause toe out to occur. If the outer point is above the inner point then lowering would cause toe-in to occur. In most cases I would imagine that lowering will cause toe out which is bad for inner edge tire wear.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by legend4life
AP2 toe curve in the rear does not change in rebound or compression.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment