S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment

Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are offset balljoints needed in the rear to get around -3* camber at 12.5-13" ride heights?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 AM

Assuming all your adjusters move you shouldn't have a issue getting 3 degrees with the stock set-up at that height. Although thats assuming. Atleast on my car I can. Granted I didn't want that much rear camber.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by legend4life
Are offset balljoints needed in the rear to get around -3* camber at 12.5-13" ride heights?
No
Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 AM

What's a good ride height? I just installed my coilovers and did my alignment. Front i'm at 13.5" and rear is at 13.375. My alignment settings are as follows;

Front:
Camber -2.8
Caster 6.3
Toe 0

Rear:
Camber -2.6
Toe 1/4 total toe-in.

My concern is the car is sitting too high and could benifit more if I set it just a bit lower, but I also don't want to sacrafice driveability since I do drive the S 3-4 times during the week to work. The roads around me aren't the best. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 AM

I guess those links at the top of the page have become invisible lately. Let me help you help yourself.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/904...cussion-links/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/896...autocross-faq/
Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by mLeach
I guess those links at the top of the page have become invisible lately. Let me help you help yourself.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/904...cussion-links/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/896...autocross-faq/
I've looked at all the STR links and Ride height thread. What I'm asking is for personal opinions on the matter. No need to be a dick about it, but thank you for your post.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mron0903
What's a good ride height? I just installed my coilovers and did my alignment. Front i'm at 13.5" and rear is at 13.375. My alignment settings are as follows;

Front:
Camber -2.8
Caster 6.3
Toe 0

Rear:
Camber -2.6
Toe 1/4 total toe-in.

My concern is the car is sitting too high and could benefit more if I set it just a bit lower, but I also don't want to sacrifice driveability since I do drive the S 3-4 times during the week to work. The roads around me aren't the best. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Please keep in mind, these type of questions appear all the time and is exactly why these threads were created.

There is no "generic" setting that suits all S2000s. We are still at the beginning of R&D for STR. There are many different directions STR S2000 owners are taking their setups. This depends on what hardware you are using, driving preference, type of racing, type of course/surface, tires, etc. The point "mLeach" is really making it to find someone who has a similar setup to yours and start there. Add your own notes as you develop you car further. Find someone local who knows S2000s and get their opinion. Let them drive your car if you are comfortable. Work on your driving skills, who knows ... you may like something different when you advance as a driver. No one here is a perfect driver.

-Marc
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. These posts asking about personal ride heights and alignments and spring rates and sway bars are becoming tiresome and redundant. There is much information about what people are running and really, ST classing in general is based on the idea that you will be tuning your car. The many listed set ups that folks are running are all generally very similar. Take one and copy it. After that, you'll have to tune it to your taste and optimization.

Let's try keep the signal to noise ratio as good as it is.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mron0903

Front:
Camber -2.8
Caster 6.3
Toe 0

Rear:
Camber -2.6
Toe 1/4 total toe-in.

My concern is the car is sitting too high and could benifit more if I set it just a bit lower, but I also don't want to sacrafice driveability since I do drive the S 3-4 times during the week to work. The roads around me aren't the best. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
That will work well. I've won national level events with suspension settings and height similar to yours, and I am not a great driver. Could it benefit some from lowering? Probably. Different people will argue different amounts, some will say it's a big deal, some will say we're talking miniscule amounts better. I don't think anyone would argue that those settings would be uncompetitive at any level other than the national championships.

I'd probably recommend lowering it at least a little if possible. I think you've still got more room to be comfortable on the street.

Right now I'm running just a little over 13" ride height on my daily driven s2000 on 800 and 700 lb/in springs, and that seems to work just fine. It's not as comfortable as stock but it's a good compromise for me. And I feel my car is competitive at any level.

To get a more in-depth answer than that you'll have to do some reading to see what different people's opinions are, and try it yourself.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by sirbunz
Originally Posted by mron0903' timestamp='1333981454' post='21589802

Front:
Camber -2.8
Caster 6.3
Toe 0

Rear:
Camber -2.6
Toe 1/4 total toe-in.

My concern is the car is sitting too high and could benefit more if I set it just a bit lower, but I also don't want to sacrifice driveability since I do drive the S 3-4 times during the week to work. The roads around me aren't the best. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Please keep in mind, these type of questions appear all the time and is exactly why these threads were created.

There is no "generic" setting that suits all S2000s. We are still at the beginning of R&D for STR. There are many different directions STR S2000 owners are taking their setups. This depends on what hardware you are using, driving preference, type of racing, type of course/surface, tires, etc. The point "mLeach" is really making it to find someone who has a similar setup to yours and start there. Add your own notes as you develop you car further. Find someone local who knows S2000s and get their opinion. Let them drive your car if you are comfortable. Work on your driving skills, who knows ... you may like something different when you advance as a driver. No one here is a perfect driver.

-Marc
I fully understand the frustration that can come when people ask questions that can be answered by a little research. My main concern is if I should go a litte lower on my setup or just keep it as is. I've look at numerous setups on a bunch of threads and that's where I based my alignment. I know tuning is still in store. I was soley inquiring aboout peoples experience with ride height and if I should consider lowering my car a bit more or just leaving it and then going from there.

Like I said, I understand questions like these can be annoying but responses like mLeach are not necessary.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment