S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment

Old 02-01-2012, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glagola1
You might want to verify that, Colin.

Wasn't the illegal part in ST the Ingals joints which are located at the body side (as opposed to knuckle side) of the upper control arm and didn't they effectively drop the location of the pick up point relative to stock? Isn't that why people were scrambling to get the Skunk2 upper arms?

It doesn't matter if the control arm is vertical, horizontal or pointing in any other direction. The control arm could be shaped like a boomerang or a bowl of chili. The only thing that will influence the suspension is the location of the center of the ball joints and the centers of the regular control arm joints. The lines that are projected to determine suspension motions are drawn through the center of the joints. The angle of the control arm has nothing to do with where the center of the joints are.
You might be right Matt. I won't begin to pretend I know how that would effect suspension at all it is just what I thought. I was long gone out of ST by that time so I didn't really care either way. Just don't want to see people get protested for things that don't really matter but it would be nice to know for the people that already have them if they are legal or not. I am using offset delrin bushings so it doesn't really effect me in this case either.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by glagola1
Winnie? Is that someone who wins? I hope to be a winnie.

I don't see how the SPC ball joint is illegal. The ball joint is in the same place as stock and of course the upper arm continues to mount in the stock location. That's it. 3 points all of which are identical to stock. Now, if the ball joint sat higher up on the knuckle it would be illegal because it would alter the location of the joint. The extra material between the ball joint and the upper control arm that makes the arm sit at a steeper incline does not effect the relationship of the any of the suspension components. The plane formed by the three connection points of the joints is the same as it ever was regardless of the position of the UCA.

Right?
This is correct. The actual outer dims of the SPC joint don't matter. A measurement from the bottom of the threads to the upper surface of the assembly doesn't clarify where the rotation center is going to be in relation to the knuckle. Only the location of the ball joint rotation center matters.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh7owens
If someone honestly protested that they are a winnie. Good luck selling your over priced STR wheels robert, I'm sure you'll sell them very quickly after just pointing out 50% of all the people in STR are illegal.
If you go to the doctor's office, and he tells you you're sick, do you throw a fit and call him a "winnie"?

If you go to your accountant's, and he tells you you owe money on your taxes, do you throw a fit and call him a "winnie"?

Do you often deal with your life problems by throwing a fit and calling the messenger a "winnie"?

Personally, I think that someone who realizes that a part may be illegal, and mentions it in a broad public forum, is doing the community a favor. That way research can be done, a consensus opinion can be formed, and corrective action can be taken if necessary, *before* it matters. Would you rather he sat on the information until someone got DSQ-ed from a big event without even realizing they were running an illegal part?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:24 AM

I look forward to control arms that resemble a bowl of chili. someone get on this.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkertonpunk
Either way though I think the lower ball joints is such a better option I'm not sure why everyone wouldn't go that route anyway?
I think half the answer for this is the same answer for 99 questions out of 100. Money. When this option was made known a few years ago I was setting my car up on a tight budget (compared to most on this board) and at the time it was also thought to give the fender more clearance so that a roll wouldent be needed. The other half of the answer was thr fact that every supplier in the country was out of stock on the j's part indefinitely which made it the only option.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 AM

So the SPC is illegal, but the J's and Hardrace pieces are legal?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ebdavis
Originally Posted by pinkertonpunk' timestamp='1328108595' post='21372888
Either way though I think the lower ball joints is such a better option I'm not sure why everyone wouldn't go that route anyway?
I think half the answer for this is the same answer for 99 questions out of 100. Money. When this option was made known a few years ago I was setting my car up on a tight budget (compared to most on this board) and at the time it was also thought to give the fender more clearance so that a roll wouldent be needed. The other half of the answer was thr fact that every supplier in the country was out of stock on the j's part indefinitely which made it the only option.
I know Hardrace (I think that is the company) makes one that is the same as J's for half the money. Otherwise the guy that made my delrin bushings is always willing to make more. I have brought that up a few times but not many people have gone for it. You get the same benefit you were describing though, more fender clearance. Having said that I get roll the tabs and had one catch on a tire once. It was fixable though so it turned out not to be a huge deal.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Vyndictive
So the SPC is illegal, but the J's and Hardrace pieces are legal?
I don't know if anyone has confirmed the SPC is illegal but it always was questionable to me. The J's and the Hardrace one don't add height to the ball joint. They shift it out which is legal.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by mLeach
I look forward to control arms that resemble a bowl of chili. someone get on this.
Introducing...the WINNIE Joint. 100% STR legal, I promise.

Name:  Winnie_Joint.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  11.7 KB
Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM

I'm glad I read this now though because I'm days away from ordering something to add camber for this season. Score 1 for trolling boards.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment