S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

StopTech Big Brake Kit

Old 12-13-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoptech,Dec 13 2004, 02:24 PM
It's a matter of having a place to be able to bolt on the parking brake caliper. There are holes that exist, however those would be sheered off if any pressure is placed on it. The TSX and the NSX both have places to bolt on parking brakes, just not the S2k.
Not that I'm interested in this kind of thing because I find the stock brakes work lap after lap without fade (can still lock the wheels at will) on the racetrack, even with race rubber, as long as you use proper pads. But if you're going bother doing this, it's a show piece and it looks dumb in my opinion to have a huge front brake and a stock tiny rear brake. So if you're going to fabricate a bracket for the main caliper in the rear, why not just have an extention coming off of that same bracket to mount the e-brake caliper a few inches away from the main caliper?

BTW, because this topic does not really pertain (at all) to racing and competition, can someone please move it to Under the Hood?
Old 12-13-2004, 03:41 PM

BTW, since we're really just addressing the calipers for show reasons, my suggestion is a 6-piston front, 4-piston rear like what they use on the AMG mercedes cars (SL 55/65, E55, CL55, etc.). If you're going to go big to look cool, do it right and look bad ass doing it.

Let's face it, if you think you're doing this to decrease stopping distances, your $4000 or whatever would have been better spent on a class in mechanical engineering to teach you that the primary limiting factor for stopping distance on this car is the tire, not the brake caliper. But if you can admit you're doing it to look cool (which is fine - I agree they look cool), then go for broke and skip past that whole 4-piston front deal.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:38 PM

I am fading cobalt spec VRs and cracking my rotors every couple of events. Personally, I'm not comfortable with that, having had an off due to a rotor failure on my M3 awhile back. I am just one of those guys that really likes to have some extra margin of safety when it comes to brakes.

Personally, the only reason I'm not running the stoptechs is because of the extended lug requirements up front (or new wheels). I really like my wilwood 6 pistons, so far... well, that said, I haven't used them on the track much.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:31 PM

I only get very rare fade on my spec VRs (CA Speedway). I had fade all the time on Porterfield R4. And I don't remember ever getting fade on my Carbotech XPs.

Try adding front brake ducting - that oughta solve your problem. I have 2.5", which is arguably too small. If you do 3", you should be golden. Just make sure not to run a crazy convoluted path to the rotor. Also, I think it's best to open up the stock orifice on the heat shield a little more than what I did in the pics. Do a search, I wrote up a how-to on the subject a while back. I've been meaning to add it to reverendsgarage.net too.

Or, just get rid of the heat shields. Lots of people do that and put thermal wrap around the ball joints. I personally feel that still radiates too much heat to the shocks, axle joints, etc. but it seems to work fine for everyone I know that does it.

I'm only running 16" RA-1s. Rylan's car seems to work fine with the stock calipers on Dunlop slicks. Dave has those outlaw calipers, and I don't know that it's really any advantage. Also, I know Slick Rick had some big brakes on his car for a while, but he had to go back to stock calipers for HC.

What kind of fluid are you using? I'm on Motul.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:30 PM

Motul 600. Rylan's car is a lot lighter than mine. Mine weighs a bit over 2700 right now. Ducting might take care of it, but at the risk of tearing it off on the street, etc etc, plus the big brakes make pad changes easier and give me more pad life... I like them quite a bit.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:49 PM

There's not really any risk of tearing off on the street the way I routed mine (unless you're running really wide front wheels).

http://reverendsgarage.net/index.php?conte...es=1&gallery=41
Old 12-13-2004, 11:26 PM

the 04 doesn't have any convenient ducts either...
Old 12-13-2004, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by kitwetzler,Dec 14 2004, 12:26 AM
the 04 doesn't have any convenient ducts either...
Just route it to in front of your radiator or cut out the tall faux ducts to the sides of the radiator and bend the hose to fit around the opening. Be creative.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stoptech,Dec 13 2004, 02:24 PM
It's a matter of having a place to be able to bolt on the parking brake caliper. There are holes that exist, however those would be sheered off if any pressure is placed on it. The TSX and the NSX both have places to bolt on parking brakes, just not the S2k.
So I've looked at how the stoptech TSX rear is designed and how the s2000 rear hub is set up and it appears to come down to a difference in bolt dimensions. In the TSX set-up you mount part of the st-10 caliper to the dust shield mounting holes. These holes take a 6mmx16mm bolt. In the s2000 the same dust shield holes take a 5mmx12mm screw. What you appear to be saying is that the 5x12 bolt would shear off under load but the 6x16 bolt would not. Is this correct?

While definitely irritating, this does not seem to be a show stopper. One possible solution has already been presented and I think there are other ones.(potentially retaping the holes, not ideal but possible) Are you still considering releasing the rear kit as race only if you can't make the e-brake work?
Old 12-17-2004, 04:03 PM

All of the kits that StopTech makes are made so that little or no modification needs to be done. When we mean bolt on, we mean it will just bolt on. No machining, tapping, drilling or grinding. There are only a couple of kits that require very minor modification.

Other alternatives just prove to be too cost prohibitive for production.

Quick Reply: StopTech Big Brake Kit