S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

are stock pads what i need?

Old 11-26-2004, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are stock pads what i need?

as of right now i have ebc greens on my car and they dust and squeal like a mofo. i do like the greater initial bite, but it's not worth having to wash the car every other day if i want to keep the wheels clean.

i plan on autoxing the car next season, and hopefully making it to a real track, but i'm not so sure of that. so should i just go back to the stock pads? i would like something a little more aggressive than the stock parts, but i usually put ~100 miles on my car everyday driving around town and it makes for a LOT of brake dust. i'd really like a pad that dusts no more than the stock pads, but offers a little more bite. is that unreasonable?

i know that autox's aren't that hard on brakes because you don't really get going that fast, so they don't have to be that aggressive.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes you should go back to stock until you actually use the car in a performance environment - either autox or track. There's no reason to use anything other than stock on the street and, as you've found, many of the performance pads cause much more dust than stock. The stock pad is actually a very good street pad, even when driven aggressively on the street.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:27 PM

Cobalt GT+, they're my next one's. For a daily driver with some autocross thrown in they seem to make the most sense.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cobalt GT-Sports will work well in a performance environment but for pure street use, they're probably going to make more noise than you're likely to be happy with.

OEM's are pretty good and hard to beat for the street although you might be very happy with the Axxis Ultimates as well. They're a good hot street pad and don't dust nearly as much as some of the other options.

We carry all the above at competitive prices: http://www.gofastlab.com/s2ki/home.php?cat=15
Old 11-27-2004, 03:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like many of us do, run OEM on the street and then swap to an HPDE pad for track events. I'l give another endorsement for Cobalt GT-Sport pads as excellent choice for autocrossing and street that also work well on the track. They do dust more than OEM pads do though.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:42 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Supposedly Honda's stock S2000 pads for 2004 and newer are a bit more aggressive at the expense of more dusting.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Nov 27 2004, 05:35 AM
Like many of us do, run OEM on the street and then swap to an HPDE pad for track events. I'l give another endorsement for Cobalt GT-Sport pads as excellent choice for autocrossing and street that also work well on the track. They do dust more than OEM pads do though.
Not a big fan of the GT-Sport of the 4 short days I've had on them. Let's see how these Spec-VRs work...
Old 11-28-2004, 02:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that for the experienced track driver the Spec VR is a better choice. Even stronger initial bite and a very solid pedal even after repeated hard braking. They were pretty rotor-friendly too.

I think the GT-Sports are best for novice drivers on the track, or people that don't want to change pads upon arrival. The Spec VR pads were scary when cold, so take it easy on the first few turns until they warm up.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:56 AM
Former Moderator

Another OEM on street, GT-Sport for the weekends here
Old 11-28-2004, 04:45 PM
vmb

I've never been able to find much public opinion on Carbotech's Bobcat pads, but they're marketed essentially as an autoX pad, but I'd say they're definitely more "street" than "track" oriented.

I ran them for <1 autoX season and 1 HPDE and thought they were indeed better than stock, but not anything drastic. Dust was not an issue, no difference from OEM although in all honesty the S was not my daily driver and I only drove about 3k miles with these pads.

Anyhow, I sold the car and have them in a box in the garage. If you're interested I'll sell them cheap. They're still in great shape.

If anyone else has used these feel free to chime in with opinions.

Quick Reply: are stock pads what i need?