S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

'A stock' ~ tire sizes on AP2?

Old 07-05-2008 | 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'A stock' ~ tire sizes on AP2?

Guys,,, I have a stock '04 AP2 that I autocrossed for the fisr time Frida,,,, big mistake as I am now going to get hooked~big times. In the past I have done some hight performance driving schools at Nelson Ledges in OH. Those few times were the most exilerating experience I have EVER known, however going thru the kink in an open roof at 120+ may be more than I now want... :-) Those occations were in a street prepped VW and Volvo, both farly quick and on street tires had me down to mid 1:26's, FUN for sure.

I now think this auto-crossing in the S will be some serious fun and seriously limiting any big opp's that can ruin your day.

To the point, I am runing new (5K miles) RE05's that to me seem slippery, yet manageable. I will more than likely run them while getting my feet wet, but think some RE01R's sound like the next set and or something stickier with a second set of AP2 rims.

1) are 225's front, and 255's rear legal for this class?
2) any recommendations for track only tires and are R compound tires leagal?

thanks in advance...
Bruce

PS: anyone in the surrounding Pittsburgh are have OEM AP2 rims fro sale?
Old 07-05-2008 | 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) legal.
2) Check the autocross FAQ at the top of this forum's subject list.
Old 07-07-2008 | 05:54 AM

Yep, it's in the sticky.

But the hotness for the AP2 is 245/275

Kuhmo V710 or Hoosier A6. These are autocross only tires. You can run them on the track, but expect a fairly limited lifespan. You must run on stock size wheels to stay legal for AS but tire size is only limited to what you can fit without modifying the car.
Old 07-07-2008 | 05:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zachreligious,Jul 7 2008, 05:54 AM
But the hotness for the AP2 is 245/275

Now its 275/275! After 1 event so far so good.

275/40/17 Hoosier A6s, -2 camber, CR springs, Gendron Bar set stiff, custom valved Koni Yellows = no rubbing
Old 07-07-2008 | 09:27 AM

I wonder if the stiffer CR springs limit the motion enough to prevent the larger fronts from rubbing. I think that one of our AP2 guys tried running them, but they rubbed pretty bad. Not sure where they were rubbing though.

I'd say you weren't driving hard enough, but recent results would prove that wrong
Old 07-07-2008 | 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zachreligious,Jul 7 2008, 09:27 AM
I wonder if the stiffer CR springs limit the motion enough to prevent the larger fronts from rubbing. I think that one of our AP2 guys tried running them, but they rubbed pretty bad. Not sure where they were rubbing though.

I'd say you weren't driving hard enough, but recent results would prove that wrong
I tend to overdrive the car more than what we are supposed to do. Sometimes it will stick, most the time it will not!

Three more things would help keep the tires from rubbing ...

-I still have three stiffer setting left on the swaybar (currently set 3/6)
-Using a front wheel with the maximum offset allowed (+61mm)
-Bumping up compression on some $$$$ front shocks

Currently I'm using the Kosei K1TS fronts at +50mm offset and using Custome Valved Koni Yellows with a non-adjustable soft compression. If the suspension compressed enough, the tire will hit the fender but so far it has stayed clear. The surface I tried this on was asphalt in 90 degree weather with the surface close to 100. I will be at another event on the 20th to give this setup another try! This site will have more grip.
Old 07-07-2008 | 12:19 PM

I can confirm that Marc does drive his car pretty darn hard (and that is an understatement). Of course I have to say that as he beats me most of the time. LOL

His 1st event with 275's was successful with no rubbing that could be found.... but IMO, the verdict is still out if the 275's can work up front with the CR. I say this as the event that we just competed in is a very slick sealed (but some of it rubbing off) asphault surface. I am concerned that if he gets on a grippy surface that allows us to get any kind of speed, it might be a problem on hard braking and cornering. However, he is prepared to swap wheels/tires at an event if this occurs.

-D
Old 07-08-2008 | 06:32 AM

I almost wish I didn't see this, I'm planning to order tires today.

I'm currently on 245/275 with the same alignment as Marc. Stock suspension, gendron bar, and AP2 V2 wheels.

Should I even consider 275/275 or is the jury still out on this one, especially with my setup?
Old 07-08-2008 | 06:39 AM

I am no expert, but I am betting that the higher front spring rates that the CR has over the rest of us, enables this as a possibility. With what Zachreligious mentioned above... he believes that another AP2 (non-CR) driver tried this and it rubbed. It might be worth confirmation tho.

-Dave
Old 07-08-2008 | 06:49 AM

I think you're probably right. What I might do is order the standard 245/275 for a relatively big event I have on the 18th and 19th and at some point after that try the current 275s on the front to test fitment at a local event.

I have got to think the 275s up front would be cupped really bad if on that size wheel.

Quick Reply: 'A stock' ~ tire sizes on AP2?