S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Spring rate stagger

Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Honda does higher spring rate in the rear from the factory on all S2000s but the CR I believe. Most JDM tuners seem to run equal rates F & R or a slight stagger towards the rear. The alignment is the key factor in the equation though.
no they only did it on the 00-01 - every year after that the rates are front biased
Going from an 00 car in uk to an 03 the 03 was much easier to slide around and not end up facing the wrong way.

Over the years I've run:
550/500 lowerring springs and a saner bar
600/500 konis + stock bars
700/600 konis + stock bars
700/650 konis + stock bars

I think I could go even on the springs and set the wing to balance the car but its loose at low speed its loose now, I don't think I'd go rear biased.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:44 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LickyMYwalker
Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1352374032' post='22137625
[quote name='LickyMYwalker' timestamp='1352332230' post='22136768']
im wondering if you have a clutch type diff? for your alignment, is front toe that .05 degrees out and .1 degrees each side in? i dont see any units so i had to ask />/>
It's a Kaaz 1.5 way plate type. Front toe is 0.05 degrees out each side. Rear toe is 0.1 degrees in each side.

/>/>
first things first, im going to assume tire pressures are all good? optimized and set for your setup? have you had a chance to use a tire pyrometer to measure readings?

in the video where you were making the tight turn at 7.30, it seems like that tight right turn has a small dip in it for which the left rear tire would catch and unweight itself causing toe out on that side. if im completely wrong about that turn, then forget what i just said />/>

in the second video chasing the ep3 at 13.55, did he brake check you? if so caused you to lift off the gas and lose weight over the rear?

im just trying to examine the driving and scenarios which could have caused the sudden breakouts in the rear end. even at my setup with 255s street tires, DA dampers, and a wing, my car doesn't exhibit this type of behavior.

if you want to change setup though this is what i would do:

1.) i would try run no rear bar seeing as you already have 14kg spring in the rear. thats the cheapest way to go ,since its free!, to see if you really would like a softer rear end but you will understeer more on longer steady state corners. if you did like the feel then try swapping springs and put the roll bar back on, then test it with it off again and see.

2.) if you want to change alignment, i would go 0 toe front, keep your camber in the front, but change the rear camber to -2.8 but without any hard data from a pyrometer this is just a guess.

just my opinion though />/>
[/quote]

You have a good eye for observation! In the 1st vid there is a tiny dip but the camber on the turn is all positive and the car does it out of totally flat hairpins too. The Kaaz has helped a fair bit.

Agree on the 2nd video, I was pretty unhappy about being brake tested mid corner, and when I looked back at the footage I had thought it was the weight transfer which upset the car, but i'd been on the throttle long enough after lifting off that it wasn't an instant upset which caused it. I just remember being so frustrated at being held up, I tried a bit more throttle than previous laps (I hit 1,3g that corner!) that it was just too much. I knew before I did it that it might go, as i'm pretty well in touch with the grip levels the car has.

I agree with your theory on the rear bar, but i've always felt I didn't like the idea for some reason /> I don't like roll but if it gets more grip and I can get used to a touch of wallow i'd try it. Easy enough to disconnect it too.

RE the rear camber, yep we pyro checked it early this season on a test day and combined with the tyre wear it looks spot on The front could do with about 1/4 degree more looking at the wear.

Appreciate your thoughts and taking time to look at the vids />
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM
MB

Originally Posted by GT Motoring II
Interesting how most of the people here in the states run more front than rear and those in the UK/Australia/etc are running more rear spring than front. />
Generally people in the UK run even or slightly stiffer front as that's often how the likes of KW / Tein / Ohlins sell out the box for the S2000. I personally ended up with more rear as my coilovers are pretty much the same as one of the top JDM race cars (can't say which!) and it's probably due to how smooth a lot of Jap tracks are. I guess in the US more people do Auto X where surfaces are rougher. Uk is a real mix of circuit surfaces.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM
MB

Originally Posted by razzele
Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1352371071' post='22137598
Thanks Raz, that's what I find puzzling. The tyres were shot at Croft (too many cycles and wear blocks deforming) but even so my car does behave oddly compared to others. Pressures are spot on which is evident from the wear and chalk marks we put on.

So what coilover brand do you have now, or have you just changed the springs on the Nitrons?

I'm fairly sure I will just drop the rear down to 12kg, i'd prefer it even as the rear does have to withstand some downforce.

On a plus point, the tyre regs for next year have changed so I can run Dunlop semi slicks (muhc better tyre with many compound options)

It is good news about the tyre options next year.

I've got Nitron r3s , their 3 way race shocker with remote canisters. Apparently they were valve matched to the spring rates at 12/14. (eibach springs)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Motoring II
Interesting how most of the people here in the states run more front than rear and those in the UK/Australia/etc are running more rear spring than front. />
On my Australian Time Attack car, I run 14kg front and 12kg rear, stock sway bars, staggered tyres (265/285) and a GT wing. The handling balance is very neutral (in the dry). In the wet the rear end loves to come round on you under braking. I've tried a big front bar an it was way too pushy for my tastes.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by mcopley
Originally Posted by GT Motoring II' timestamp='1352402319' post='22138743
Interesting how most of the people here in the states run more front than rear and those in the UK/Australia/etc are running more rear spring than front. />/>
On my Australian Time Attack car, I run 14kg front and 12kg rear, stock sway bars, staggered tyres (265/285) and a GT wing. The handling balance is very neutral (in the dry). In the wet the rear end loves to come round on you under braking. I've tried a big front bar an it was way too pushy for my tastes.
What bar were you using? I had a Whiteline and it was pushy through sweepers. Swapping to an Eibach adjustable made it nice and neutral but a bit taily on exits. I'm leaning to trying 12kg F/R now...

It seems the US love big front sways? Or is that just an AutoX thing?

PS: MB do you the Amuse S2000? As I'm running Amuse Bilsteins with 12/14..
Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by aozora
What bar were you using? I had a Whiteline and it was pushy through sweepers. Swapping to an Eibach adjustable made it nice and neutral but a bit taily on exits. I'm leaning to trying 12kg F/R now...
Yep - it was the Whiteline 32mm one. It weighed a tonne.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:34 AM
JJ7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP: It seems that in both your examples you were decelerating to a slow turn. First one was off throttle in a tight hairpin, second was decreasing radius toward the apex. It seems like you have a very loose set up that gets masked by a big wing in moderate to high speed turns. Does this sound possible to you? I would swap springs or throw on your saner bar. Might get pushy out of moderate to fast turns.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MB
Originally Posted by LickyMYwalker' timestamp='1352398138' post='22138512
[quote name='MB' timestamp='1352374032' post='22137625']
[quote name='LickyMYwalker' timestamp='1352332230' post='22136768']
im wondering if you have a clutch type diff? for your alignment, is front toe that .05 degrees out and .1 degrees each side in? i dont see any units so i had to ask />/>/>
It's a Kaaz 1.5 way plate type. Front toe is 0.05 degrees out each side. Rear toe is 0.1 degrees in each side.

/>/>/>
first things first, im going to assume tire pressures are all good? optimized and set for your setup? have you had a chance to use a tire pyrometer to measure readings?

in the video where you were making the tight turn at 7.30, it seems like that tight right turn has a small dip in it for which the left rear tire would catch and unweight itself causing toe out on that side. if im completely wrong about that turn, then forget what i just said />/>/>

in the second video chasing the ep3 at 13.55, did he brake check you? if so caused you to lift off the gas and lose weight over the rear?

im just trying to examine the driving and scenarios which could have caused the sudden breakouts in the rear end. even at my setup with 255s street tires, DA dampers, and a wing, my car doesn't exhibit this type of behavior.

if you want to change setup though this is what i would do:

1.) i would try run no rear bar seeing as you already have 14kg spring in the rear. thats the cheapest way to go ,since its free!, to see if you really would like a softer rear end but you will understeer more on longer steady state corners. if you did like the feel then try swapping springs and put the roll bar back on, then test it with it off again and see.

2.) if you want to change alignment, i would go 0 toe front, keep your camber in the front, but change the rear camber to -2.8 but without any hard data from a pyrometer this is just a guess.

just my opinion though />/>/>
[/quote]

You have a good eye for observation! In the 1st vid there is a tiny dip but the camber on the turn is all positive and the car does it out of totally flat hairpins too. The Kaaz has helped a fair bit.

Agree on the 2nd video, I was pretty unhappy about being brake tested mid corner, and when I looked back at the footage I had thought it was the weight transfer which upset the car, but i'd been on the throttle long enough after lifting off that it wasn't an instant upset which caused it. I just remember being so frustrated at being held up, I tried a bit more throttle than previous laps (I hit 1,3g that corner!) that it was just too much. I knew before I did it that it might go, as i'm pretty well in touch with the grip levels the car has.

I agree with your theory on the rear bar, but i've always felt I didn't like the idea for some reason />/> I don't like roll but if it gets more grip and I can get used to a touch of wallow i'd try it. Easy enough to disconnect it too.

RE the rear camber, yep we pyro checked it early this season on a test day and combined with the tyre wear it looks spot on The front could do with about 1/4 degree more looking at the wear.

Appreciate your thoughts and taking time to look at the vids />/>
[/quote]

no problem! sounds good, hopefully you can experiment some of those setups and see which bit will fair better with your driving style! interested in seeing how it goes
Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_uk
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1352410363' post='22139083
Honda does higher spring rate in the rear from the factory on all S2000s but the CR I believe. Most JDM tuners seem to run equal rates F & R or a slight stagger towards the rear. The alignment is the key factor in the equation though.
no they only did it on the 00-01 - every year after that the rates are front biased
Going from an 00 car in uk to an 03 the 03 was much easier to slide around and not end up facing the wrong way.

Over the years I've run:
550/500 lowerring springs and a saner bar
600/500 konis + stock bars
700/600 konis + stock bars
700/650 konis + stock bars

I think I could go even on the springs and set the wing to balance the car but its loose at low speed its loose now, I don't think I'd go rear biased.
Not true.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/818...nsion-springs/

Code:
              |  Front   Rear    |  Front    Rear
Model Year    |  Spring  Spring  |  Sway Bar Sway Bar
--------------+------------------+--------------------
2000-2001     |   219     291    |   393      427
2002-2003     |   246     309    |   300      396
2004-2005     |   262     278    |   300      311
2006-2007     |   262     269    |   300      311
2008-2009     |   280     294    |   354      311
2008-2009 CR  |   384     343    |   392      362

Note 1: All figures are in lb/in. Divide by 56 to get kg/mm.
Note 2: Edited 17Nov2010 with slight updates to spring rates per rev1 of paper.

Quick Reply: Spring rate stagger