S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Spin2000

Old 12-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In comparison to the other cars I have driven at Keystone (Jetta, Viper ACR, SRT-4, Miata, Impreza, SC300, 240sx, 300zx, etc) I would say the S2000 with CR shocks, AP1 front sway, and square tires was the most oversteer prone. Here is a link to video of a full lap of the track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmQyegGA0JE
Old 12-04-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Tip of the day: dont white knuckle the wheel while racing. The "pro" driver and last post showed proper wheel technique...as they were waaaaaay smoother....

Op was driving the car like a drifter to be honest...i have a few drifter buddies. Spabbing the steering inputed is a technique they use to get the car loose
Old 12-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Around 3:20 you induced your car to oversteer by going left too early and then going right. I think you're coming too fast. I kind of prefer the method on the video below. Slow in fast out. On the S2k, if you're coming at the right speed, you should be able to hit the gas just at the apex and with your tires you should have any oversteer
Old 12-04-2014, 05:05 PM

I just watched the video again and looking at it a second time the first minute and twenty seconds seems pretty normal and good except for the first incident at he beginning of the video. Something else that you may need to tae in consideration is tire pressure. What was the tire pressure setup? Did you watch it during the day?
Old 12-04-2014, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottdh20
Tip of the day: dont white knuckle the wheel while racing. The "pro" driver and last post showed proper wheel technique...as they were waaaaaay smoother....

Op was driving the car like a drifter to be honest...i have a few drifter buddies. Spabbing the steering inputed is a technique they use to get the car loose

BRO! Same driver bro!
Old 12-04-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by thielepr
I just watched the video again and looking at it a second time the first minute and twenty seconds seems pretty normal and good except for the first incident at he beginning of the video.

I have a minivan in the driveway that would oversteer with that type of driving, that was not at all normal.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

not sure if this is helpful but hey why not

this is Nick1 running around your times with his 07 AP2 on stock shocks with lowering springs, 255 RS3 square, CR wing, and I think the Saner FSB on the middle hole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXu4x6GAhlI
Old 12-04-2014, 06:44 PM

That is the perfect comparison. Nick is apexing much later, putting in the right amount of steering, and allowing the car to do the rest. The most noticeable spot for me is the hard right followed by a quick left at the end of that short straight with the pine trees on the right. I flinch everytime the OP turns in on the left, Nick turns in much, much later and navigates the corner better.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

How is that a perfect comparison? Nick1 is running 1 second slower even with the help of a huge front sway bar and some aero help at the rear thanks to the CR wing. Both of those would dial out oversteer...
Old 12-05-2014, 01:56 AM

Nick is taking much better lines and driving the car as it should be driven and can improve his times by utilizing more of the track and cleaning up a few key corners. Most attempts to go faster by the OP will likely end up in some version of what you see in the first video. If you were a driving instructor who's car would you want to ride in

And unless I am missing something these are track days not TTs, so it isn't so much about time as it is about driving the car properly. Nick could be driving at 7/10 excited to make it home to his familily with his car and self in one peice, the OP could care less about any of that and be hitting it at 10/10. If this where a wheel to wheel race who do you suppose would get to the end first?

And for the sake of argument let's say it was car setup, a car is a thing, it does not have a mind of its own. The setup either needs changed (like the next session) or the driver needs to have the ability to understand the physics behind driving and adapt their driving style so that people and trackside bushes are not harmed

Again, I am not trying to be rude to anyone, I am just a bit surprised that his technique seems proper to some people, including himself.

Quick Reply: Spin2000