S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SPC Camber Joint vs J's Racing S1

Old 03-15-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Antonov
I wouldn't recommend getting the RCA shims, just the camber joint. I personally like the J's b/c in increases camber by increasing track width, as opposed to decreasing track width. There are no moving parts. It is lighter than the OEM setup Things I don't like about SPC. Its heavier than the OEM ball joint. There are moving parts. It increases the distance between the the upper and lower control arm (not track width) Install is much more involved. Not really an cheaper at the end of the day. For me, it was a no brainer.
FWIW, I know one S2000 racer who had the J's piece malfunction. I've had the SPC units on all corners for a few years, and never had any issues that were not self induced.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you remember how it malfunctioned?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My SPCs moved out of spec. We were having to re-align it often. Switched to J's. Very happy.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by LickyMYwalker
do you remember how it malfunctioned?

I don't. If I remember, I'll ask him the next time we talk.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by robinson
awesome, i just want to see if it was install error (which seems almost not possible on these) or if it was the part itself and how it failed. thanks
Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM

I just picked up some SPC joints from tire rack for 158 shipped. Hopefully the front camber will fix some low speed push the car has been having.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by GoTuningUnlimited
The S1 will allow shift your camber range to 2-5 degrees where the S2 will be 3-6 degrees so we recommend the S1 if your looking for 3 degrees on a lowered car.
I think the numbers from J's Racing are exaggerated. At stock ride height, the max negative camber I was able to obtain with the S2 joints was -3.7 degrees. This leads me to think the S1s will not yield -3 at stock ride height. That said, the J's S2 joints have been working well on my car...zero complaints. I frequently recommend them to S2k owners looking for more camber in the front.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
how low is "low low" lower then 24.5 (ground to fender) all the way around? I'm gonna try to go 24.25 all the way around but fearing I rub the liner out
I'll try and measure tonight...
Old 03-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the SPC's on all four corners and for what its worth they have been fine for me. I just check that top nut torque about every other time I have the wheels off...and thats often.

I'm running 17x9 +62s all around and have no issues with rubbing. Personally I think the J's is the better way to do it, but the reason I got the SPC's is because my suspension arms were powdercoated with the ball joints in and the nylon melted...so basically they were all bad at that point. Honda doesn't sell replacement ball joints, you have to buy the whole arm. I went with the SPC's and they seem just fine to me. I installed them in the arms myself and its really quite easy...didn't even need a press to get the old ones out or the new ones in. Here is the trick, replace one of your front brake caliper pistons (or just get one from somewhere) it perfectly fits around the upper portion of the ball joint (as a press tool) and then use a large deep socket on the other side a couple hits with a dead blow and they pop right out/in.

The thing I do like about the SPC's...I now have replaceable ball joints and don't have to replace the whole arm...and honestly it doesn't require the ball joint to be pushed in that much to get the camber setting you want. I run -2.4 up front since I'm on street tires (tried 3 and it was too much) and the ball joint is really not that much adjusted from where the stock ball joint would be.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by robinson
Curious as well.

Quick Reply: SPC Camber Joint vs J's Racing S1