S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SOW this Friday: anyone going?

Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jzr,Sep 12 2006, 08:00 AM
It goes back to most people thinking that in order to go faster they need to provide their inputs - gas, brake, steering, faster. In general, these things need to be done more slowly, but no more slowly than necessary, and that's the real trick..

Good luck!
Great input jzr

Rob was constantly reminding me to smooth out my response. The faster I got I noticed that I needed to be fast but smooth at braking, steering , and pedal modulation. My Toe-heel SUCKED big time

Rob, I'm practicing Toe-heel everyday now
Old 09-12-2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Reverend,Sep 12 2006, 07:12 AM
I'm very near 100% sure he does not have enough spring preload or he has low nitrogen pressure in one more more of his shocks (either could cause bottoming out). This is not an alignment issue and it's not a bumpsteer issue. I have an AP1 with no BSK and while that's how my car behaved on JIC coilovers that were bottoming out, it's nothing like how it behaves on my current JRZ suspension.
I hope my nitrogen pressure isn't low in one of my shocks . The shocks feel like they are damping bumps perfectly fine though? I'm sure some of this is masked by the high spring rates though. Anyway i can i chek the nitrogen pressure without sending these babies to tein?

Jason, i couldn't agree with you more. The "rapid" steering is something i noticed in my past videos and i'm trying my best to make the proper correction smoothly once and one time only. I'm going to continue to work on that. However, it is with past experience with my car that has really taught me to be fast with the steering wheel. Otherwise i'd end up doing a donut . Its back to the drawing board and i'll take what you experienced track junkies have to say into consideration at my next track outing. BTW Jason, do you still track your S2k? I saw an old video of you running spring mountain (old config) and i was extremely impressed with how smooth and calm you were with your steering input (especially the way you correct oversteer), certainly looked alot faster around the track than I did when i went a few months ago.

Mike, you did extremely well for your first track event ever! Can't wait to see you at the track more and getting better and better .
Old 09-12-2006, 11:20 AM
jzr

Heh, the JZR of 2003 is a hack compared to the JZR of 2006 - at least, that's what I like to think..

I haven't tracked my S2000 for some time. I'm considering getting back into one next year, which is why I've started pestering people on here again...

Oh, and please don't take my input as criticism - I think the smoothness comes with time and experience, and otherwise it looks like you're doing okay. I recommend getting some rides with any of the really good/fast guys you can find, even if not in an S2000 - I wouldn't be half as good as I am today (insert joke about half of zero still being zero here) - if I hadn't fought for the chances to ride along with guys like Erik Messley and Gary Thomason.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=jzr,Sep 12 2006, 09:00 AM] I like to blame the car as much as anybody, but...

Sure seems like the driver's hands are moving a bit too fast for something with steering as quick as the S2k's.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by StinkyTofu,Sep 12 2006, 10:34 AM
Mike, you did extremely well for your first track event ever! Can't wait to see you at the track more and getting better and better .
Thanks again Rob, having you there made the difference

If Tim's going to be there at Button I'd like to go for a ride with him if he doesn't mind. I'd like to see different types of fast drivers, and by looking at how you and tim's times are sooo close I'd think I could learn alot.

Tim you mind if I get a ride along?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by jzr,Sep 12 2006, 08:00 AM
I like to blame the car as much as anybody, but...
I agree. Its very easy to blame the car but the biggest factor is the driver.

I still think there is something diffrent with Tim's car. We had the same shocks (Tein Super Racing with remote Resivor F&R) and Volk wheels and Tim's car was significantly more peakier in terms of how the car approached the tires limit and how it negotated diffrent undulations during corners.

I had to tip-toe around any inputs I would make to drive the car smooth.

Maybe Tims S2k has too much power! jk (It pulls against my stock 2.2L)

John, you might be right. I driven cars which were riding on bump stop before (not my own) but never driven a car with low nitrogen pressure...

Tim's wing is my old Ebay wing. My wing is made by Voltex Japan and its a s2000 specific mount. Its very rigid. You can buy it from J's racing.

Voltex is a small company which was started in 2003. Nakajima who started the company has worked for various racing team in Japan before stating the company where he made composite body parts for F-3 and Formula Japan racecars.

Forumula Nippon (My favorite driver: Hattori Naoki)

He has also worked in UK where he was an engineer for CROSBY GRP. CROSBY GRP provides services for F1 and WRC and have worked with drivers such as Jean Alesi.

Crosby Composite Webpage

The Voltex wing is made to meet the Super Taikyu "Endurance" regulations. About 50% of race cars in Class 4 uses Voltex wings for Super Taikyu Series.

One thing that attracts me to the Voltex wing are the selection and the S2000 width specific mounts which mount to the very edge of the trunk. I am using one on the edge of my carbon fiber trunk and its still very solid.

Side Profile.. Wish it was a bit higher...

Type 1 & 2

Type 3

Options in Hight

They also offer different hights of Garny Flaps (3mm ~ 12mm).

Some images of Voltex wings on Class 4 2004 series. I think the S2ks moved to Class 3 for 2005.

Non Voltex cars...

Mugen stuff are also popular.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mik3,Sep 13 2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks again Rob, having you there made the difference

If Tim's going to be there at Button I'd like to go for a ride with him if he doesn't mind. I'd like to see different types of fast drivers, and by looking at how you and tim's times are sooo close I'd think I could learn alot.

Tim you mind if I get a ride along?
Glad you enjoyed your first track day.

Didn't Dough Hayashi describe it as "Go Fast Crack Pipe?"

You will be able to drop seconds with an accurate heel-and-toe.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by StinkyTofu,Sep 12 2006, 10:34 AM
Opps....I meant thanks Tim hahaha....I thought you were Rob. Tim, I'm constantly watching your video. Man your fast.....
Old 09-14-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ketsup,Sep 14 2006, 08:32 AM
^^ hey mike, your davids(black sti) cousin right? im his friend from socal. we'll be going to button willow at the end of the month. i think he's going on sunday only, but im going on friday and sunday. hope to see you there!
Yeah I'm his cousin. He called me yesterday and said that he and maybe his brother pat will make it up.

Man, wish I could make friday and Sunday. But oh well.....my friend Rob will be there for thoses days. Check him out!

I'll see you there then
Old 09-14-2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ketsup,Sep 14 2006, 08:56 AM
yea, i msged maxrev on aim. i get to ride in his car! so he can show me the lines at BW since i've never been there (only been to sow) and since im coming from an STi
Haha..Dav just IM'd me you're AJ right? He said that you traded your STI for an S LOL....Welcome!

Doode be prepared for one crazy ride with MAXREV Muuhahahaha.....

But really, Rob's a great guy and an AWESOME instuctor. You should talk to Tim (StinkyTofu) too. He and Rob are the fastest S2 Drivers I know.

Quick Reply: SOW this Friday: anyone going?