S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Solutions for Cracking Rotors on Track?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psychoazn
The only true fix is a BBK. The initial cost turns off a lot of people, especially since ~2000 can purchase close to 40 rotors, or a whole lot of pad, or a combination of. However, looking strictly from a ROI and time point of view, I believe a BBK is ultimately worth it.

~2000+ initial investment
- double pad life (roughly) at marginally higher cost
- Rotors should last a year, possibly more
- Saved time due to not changing rotors
- Saved time due to being able to swap pads faster (not that stock takes very long at all)

- ability to recoup the majority of the initial investments upon selling the BBK. (~1500+)

I believe ducting will still help with pad life, although to a smaller degree. Wheel bearing life would be extended as well.

Richard, if you're serious about a BBK, I've been trying to get a group buy together that will realistically happen close to the end of the year with enough interest and commitment.

What BBK are you thinking about for the group buy? and what do you estimate the price per person? Please keep me updated on this I may very well jump in on this one
Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The group buy may involve a S2k Challenge Sponsor, so unfortunately, for the time being, it is only open to S2k Challenge participants.

Depending on the terms that are ultimately reached and who it is with, it may open up to the general public.

I'm aiming to have everything hammered out by the end of the year.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM

Ooooh gotcha I wish I lived further down south. I would love to get in on that series it seems like a bunch of fun!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
I think I am looking at Wilwood BBK 12.88" slotted (not drilled) 2-piece rotors and hats, with black 6-pot calipers, cheper than red and I don't care about color. It is priced below a lot of the other competitors, and Emilio says it fits under my 6ULR 17" x 9" +63 offset front wheels. I'm having Porterfield look into what racing brake pad options there are, since the kit comes with street pads I don't want.

I just installed the Wilwood 6-pot before Laguna Seca weekend, and the brakes felt good the whole weekend. I would recommend it.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:56 PM

Best I could get out of stock rotors with ducting was 4 track days. For TT and Challenge, stock rotors are great. They are lighter and as mentioned an order of magnitude cheaper. But even with the ducting, they will fade. Grab a BBK if you ever want 10 laps or more of consistent braking.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by takchi
Originally Posted by cracknut' timestamp='1314736211' post='20928511
I think the PF 2pc upgrade would be the best option for a NA car. 1/3 the price of a BBK.
Is it even out yet? I just remember Billy 'leaking' the info and then it died...
Due to a busy race schedule, not living in SoCal and being at the track with all my S2K buddies, etc... I stopped following up on the PFC 2-pc rotor package for the S2K. I don't know if it was due to no one committing and buying them, not enough interest, or someone dropping the ball that caused this to not happen.

IMO Performance Friction's rotors are some of the highest quality and best rotors in motorsports -used when other rotors crack in top level racing applications, use the stock caliper and pads (which are more than capable), less unsprung weight, only have to replace the rotor disc itself (reuse the hat) which given a longer life, should be a wash or even save $ in the long run if they last long enough.

A BBK should also fix the cracking rotor problem but:

-It's more expensive than the PFC 2pc rotor option
-Rotors are about the same if not more to replace - if its a high quality BBK
-Pads are more expensive than the stock caliper used on the PFC 2pc system
-It's probably heavier

For most S2K applications, a BBK would fix it but might be overkill and more expensive in the long run due to rotor costs and especially pad costs. The PFC system sounds like a great option but with no one stepping up, it would never happen -so more of these threads will continue to be made until someone does something about it.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

These are the racingbrake.com two-piece rotors for the stock S2000 caliper: http://www.racingbrake.com/S2000_FRO...p/2081-381.htm

I'm running their two-piece rotors made for the Acura calipers and I'm very happy with the performance and longevity but the price has come down to reasonable levels for big brake kits so if I was buying now I'd get a BBK.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 PM

Do slotted rotors help?

Also, for the people who have rotor cracking issues, what temperature do your front brake rotors get to after a session? I used my infrared temp gauge and my front rotors were 300 degrees after a 20 minute session with a 1 lap cool down and another 3 minutes of cool down driving around the pit area.

FYI, I have 2" brake ducting on the front rotors.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1314745610' post='20929042
[quote name='Richard EVO' timestamp='1314745304' post='20929034']
[quote name='Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1314743015' post='20928931']
I'm running the Endless BBK and I'm still using the same rotor on the track after 3 years of use. I'm also not running any kind of ducting. I give my buddies shit all the time as they sit there swapping out cracked rotors between sessions.
About how many track days do you run per year?
It is somewhat sporadic, but I think I have around 15+ track days on them. I'm on my second set of pads. Once I'm finished with those pads, I'll likely replace the rotors at that point.
[/quote]

I do 40 - 50 track days a year. That's a decade for you.
[/quote]

Um okay.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 AM

before AP BBK
Carbotech XP12 pad lasts me 2.5~3 days
a pair of Centric Premium rotors lasts me 2~2.5 days
brake fade after 3 hot laps in the summer, no ducting
total cost for 1yr/ 30 track days = 200*10 + 120*10 = $3,200

after AP BBK
same pads last 8 days
I'm at 12 track days with the rotors, they are starting to crack but will probably last me another 2~3 days for a total of 15 track days
still no ducting and brake doesn't fade at all if you can control it, definitely holds way better temp than the stock setup
total cost for 1yr/ 30 track days = 250*4 + 800*2 = $2,600

I save $600 each year (excluding initial purchase) and tons of time from not having to touch my brakes everyday after swapping to AP BBK
and like Mike said when I'm done I can resell it and make some money back

$2,000 investment for $600 saving = 30% (profit) and I highly recommend BBK upgrades for all serious track S2Ks

Daryl (aka darylcha) has his used AP BBK (exactly same thing with mine) for sale if anyone is interested =)

Quick Reply: Solutions for Cracking Rotors on Track?