S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SoloStorm: What Devices do you Use and How Do You Mount Them?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Default SoloStorm: What Devices do you Use and How Do You Mount Them?

SoloStorm is an android package that uses an external GPS and ODBII along with the device's accelerometers and linkage to a GoPro camera to create annotated videos and various performance analyses. It is very popular and at my skill level and the limited track time in autocross I think it would an important learning tool. While tires and an a front anti-roll bar are needed to make the car work appropriately, this would seem to be at the top of the list right after the GoPro camera itself (which arrived yesterday).

However...questions remain. What android device to use? We have Samsung Galaxy S3 phones; are tablets better?

Then, where do you mount them? What mount do you use? The S2000 doesn't have the largest windshield, does a windshield suction mount block the view? Meanwhile, the the device has to be accessible from the driver's seat. Ideally the mount would also work while using the android device for navigation, finding autocross courses on remote, deserted parking lots and abandoned, decaying airfields .

I'm concerned that a suction mount will only work on the windshield, requiring a 15" or longer reach. That a mount like this Panavise won't work:

They also have this model that extends up to 18", but would that long arm handle the forces on it in an autocross and overall it seems like a bit much:

There is also a RAM mount, but it is also short:

Additionally, there is an external GPS and an external ODBII interface. Where do they get mounted?

How do you mount your SoloStorm device and the extra hardware?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I use this to hold my phone: http://www.amazon.com/Aduro-Universa...dp/B008ALV0V4/ and the external GPS goes in the smaller compartment of the "secret" compartment, and the OBD2 scanner stays plugged into the port.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:05 PM

Do you mount it to the windshield? Doesn't the GPS unit have to be in the open? Do you hold it with an adhesive or tape?
Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Modifry phone mount to hold the phone, and the temporary setup is painters tape to hold the GPS unit mounted on the trunk. It works fine, but isn't ideal. So, the plan is to take the extra GoPro suction cup mount I have and then stick the GPS module onto one of the extra slider mounts and mount on the trunk that way. Easily on/off, secure, and nothing to interfere with the GPS signal.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Community Organizer

GPS unit gets signal just fine where I keep it and doesn't need to be held down. (The resolution on GPS isn't that fine.) That mount attaches to the dash (see video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU4MDgB4kss
Old 05-06-2015, 10:11 PM

The suction cup holds to the dash?
Old 05-07-2015, 05:24 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
The suction cup holds to the dash?
The material on the base has a tackyness to it and it functions as a suction cup as well.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Nexus 7 tablet since I've got an iPhone. I use a seat rail mount to hold the tablet.

It works great, but makes having a passengers a bit more of a pain. I may move to a phone solution in the future and use the modifry dash mount.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
GPS unit gets signal just fine where I keep it and doesn't need to be held down. (The resolution on GPS isn't that fine.) That mount attaches to the dash (see video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU4MDgB4kss
The GPS resolution is pretty fine. I have compared data with a codriver and been able to differentiate between drivers where the car was set up for an element and the different turn in points, and on an autox course that's a matter of a few feet. If you aren't getting that resolution you need to let your GPS unit see the sky.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At first I used it on my galaxy note 2, which is a slightly bigger version of the S3. Ultimately I didn't like having my phone mounted in the car, particularly at national events someone would be codriving and no one could call me. Also battery life while using solostorm is drastically reduced, so sometimes I'd end up with a dead battery particularly if I forgot to turn it off between heats which meant I didn't have a phone. Other than that it worked great.

So I bought a last generation nexus 7 tablet for cheap and it's been much, much better. Now I don't have to worry as much about it since my phone is a separate device. Battery life is better not having a cellular radio or anything in the background sucking battery. Also the bigger screen helps you be able to see more charts/widgets at a time.

As for the gps, I have it mounted on velcro on the dash all the way forward nestled against the base of the windshield. Again works great.

The obd plugs into the obd port and is held in place there.

Mounting the tablet is a bigger issue, right now I'm using the modifry dash bracket with the RAM nexus7-specific holderand it works but accelerometer readings are completely useless since the modifry bracket has lots of flex (the RAM mount part is awesome). Perfect for looking at data while in the driver seat though. Luckily for driver improvement the accelerometer is not nearly as useful as the speed traces but I do want to figure out a better way. I tried buying the proclip mount which mounts next to the center console and it would be much more rigid but I would hit it with my legs and it's too close to the shifter with a tablet.

I wouldn't recommend the x-mount thing you have pictured, I tried that first and it rotates, it's not rigid, and it worries me whether it would hold the phone in high g situations (i did try it and it seemed to, but I don't trust it as much). The one I linked is much better.

When I was using my phone I suction cupped it with the RAM suction cup to the top right corner of the windshield, that kept it out of the way and worked well. I don't trust it as much with the tablet though so I haven't tried it. Just seems too heavy for a suction cup. Also it's nice to have a hard mount so you don't have to calibrate the accelerometer if you suction it on slightly different.

So yeah I still need to figure out how to mount the tablet ideally. I'm starting to think about just sticking it to the dash somehow. Or trying the suction cup again.

Quick Reply: SoloStorm: What Devices do you Use and How Do You Mount Them?