S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SO2's almost dead.....what tires to get next?

Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up SO2's almost dead.....what tires to get next?

Talking and reading about this topic, I have heard many differing opinions on the matter.

-Some say that you should move to RA-1's as soon as possible as that tire was made for tracking days.

The reason behind why I think people are saying this is because these tires can take the abuse that will be seen on the track. Street tires may overheat and chunk.

-Other say you should do a couple of events on street tires, then move to RA-1's

The reason behind why I think people are saying this is because RA-1's are less forgiving then street tires. The level of grip is much higher, but once that limit is passed, the tire will give out without much warning. So street tires will give you some experience with handling you car over the limit before moving to RA-1's

-Other say you should stay on street tires for as long as possible.

The reason behind why I think people are saying this is because driving on street tires will ultimately make you a better driver. Driving fast on tires that do not offer a very high limit of grip will better your car control skills when the tires have passed their limit. It will also help you get used to driving the car when the tires are at their limits. When tire grip is so high, it will mask a lot of driver error, where as on street tires, you probably would not be able to get away with the same mistakes.

I would just like to hear more people's opinion on this matter. How long did you wait till you moved to r-compounds? Do you think staying on street tires longer would help a driver learn better car control?

Just for a reference, I have been tracking for a little bit more than a year with perhaps 7-8 track days. Thanks, any opinions would be apprecaited.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion is to go to RA-1's. I don't know if you have an extra set of rims, but I would recommend you get an extra set (stock rims are cheap) and use the RA-1's for track days only.

They are much safer on the track because they don't blister and chunk like street tires will. They provide more grip = more fun (to me). And they are about the same price as a set of S-02's.

After tracking for 2 years, I don't bother buying bling high performance street tires any more. There's no point in buying expensine street tires that are not fully utilized on the street legally, and are a compromise on the track. Now I just buy cheapo stuff for the street.

I think I moved to RA-1's after a year of tracking but thats because I got a really good deal on them. If you've done a year of track days, I think you've had enough experience to move to the next level.

I don't know if you've ever experienced an RA-1 shod car but the difference between it and street tires is night and day, so take it easy until you get comfortable with the higher grip levels.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:04 AM

Im pretty sure the only reason the majority of the people say to stick with street tires for a while is to keep a novices speeds down. Its easier to learn going slower.

Id deffinatly get some RA-1s!

btw... I waited three track weekends. Im glad I did.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:24 AM

What about alignments for these tires? Is the stock setup(alignment) Ok with RA1's?
My car is my daily driver, 20k mile a year, but i track it once a month. If a preformance alignment is going to eat my tires would i be better off with S02's and stock alignment? I have a extra set of wheels for my car for track tires.
Charlie
Old 08-01-2006, 11:25 AM

Can the blistering an chunking be avoided on a street tire by shaving?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by pantyraider,Jul 31 2006, 02:01 PM
My opinion is to go to RA-1's. I don't know if you have an extra set of rims, but I would recommend you get an extra set (stock rims are cheap) and use the RA-1's for track days only.

They are much safer on the track because they don't blister and chunk like street tires will. They provide more grip = more fun (to me). And they are about the same price as a set of S-02's.

After tracking for 2 years, I don't bother buying bling high performance street tires any more. There's no point in buying expensine street tires that are not fully utilized on the street legally, and are a compromise on the track. Now I just buy cheapo stuff for the street.

I think I moved to RA-1's after a year of tracking but thats because I got a really good deal on them. If you've done a year of track days, I think you've had enough experience to move to the next level.

I don't know if you've ever experienced an RA-1 shod car but the difference between it and street tires is night and day, so take it easy until you get comfortable with the higher grip levels.
I agree about the RA1 tires , just wonder what cold tire air pressure do you find usefull for the track, I have 205/55/16 F and 245/45 R, and a F stabilizer bar, MY 2000, Euro alignment.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-01-2006, 03:32 PM

its a give and take relationship.... you wana be fast at the track or have better tire wear? If you flip your street tires the aggressive alingment wont be that big of a deal on street tire longevity. I cant spell btw.

or get some RA-1s and a set of Hankook RS-2s for your street tires for less than 100 bucks a tire and call it a day.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:15 PM

Rob is trying these out

I don't think it's a R comp but looks like a decent tire...I'm intrigued by the pattern too...
Old 08-05-2006, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NT01 is the next gen RA1. Either one of 'em kick ass--and they're very forgiving when you step over the edge and want to come back. MUCH better than the S02 in terms of recovery.

The NT01s don't come in as many sizes as the RA1s, so I'm still running NT01 Rear (275) and RA1 front (255)
Old 08-05-2006, 09:36 PM

I think those new tires on rob's car are the new invo street tires.