S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Smoked the clutch?

Old 03-05-2002, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I think I smoked the clutch. The car seems fine now. Thanks for your input.

I was just getting fast enough to get into fifth gear and reaching the turn on 5th got my timing off. I am pretty sure I was off in the toe heeling and probably still blipping the gas as I was starting to depress the clutch.

BTW, for the rest of the runs I kept the car in fourth and kept doing my turn in as I know how.

So I now I just need to work on getting to third from fifth somehow. I have ridden with instructors and have seen them do both, double clutch or go down the gears in sequence. I am leaning towards going down in sequence.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:35 PM

Here is my take on skipping gears versus going down them sequentially. If you get in the habit of skipping gears, there is a greater possibility of mis shifting. For example. Shifting from 5th to 3rd directly, you could end up in 1st by accident (and that would be very bad). By sequentially shifting down, you are almost guaranteed to not mis shift by getting into the habit of feeling where the gears are.

For myself, I always shift down each gear, while it may not be the fastest, I feel it is the safest. Also consider wheel to wheel racing, where the driver is constantly checking positions and blocking lines. There's alot of activity going on in the drivers seat.

Dale

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mstw
[B]Skipping gears when downshifting - adds no stress or additional wear to the drivetrain/clutch?

Are these pros just being consistent??
Old 03-06-2002, 05:40 AM

I think Dale's comments make sense. In a real race, all drivers try to overtake the guy in the front, and everyone other than the guy all the way in the back needs to worry about holding his line for corners to stay ahead. What I am saying is, when you shift in sequence, your motor stays within its powerband and if any1 comes up to challenge, you will always have power to play with. IMO, I think skiping gear means the rpm comes down much quicker, so the driver have to work the clutch/gas more to not kill the clutch or the gears. And if someone is comes up on the side trying to pass, you probably will have to shift up in gear to gain some power to hold the line/position, or maybe let the brake up a bit so the car slows down "slower." Either way disrupts the balance.

But in a track day event when its not timed and everyone is not suppose to pass other than on the straight away, probably a different story. I do both on the track, some turns I just cant manage toe/heel if I was going full throttle. Turn 4 on Summit Point for example, down hill right hand sweep, 80-100mph turn, comes turn 5 (abt 100ft in between)- sharp left hand turn hairpin, speed drops to 30-35mph.

Practice makes perfect Personally, I like the sequence method.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by restonS2000
[B]Yeah I think I smoked the clutch. The car seems fine now. Thanks for your input.

I was just getting fast enough to get into fifth gear and reaching the turn on 5th got my timing off. I am pretty sure I was off in the toe heeling and probably still blipping the gas as I was starting to depress the clutch.